★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Handmark, Inc.
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 28.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Ignite your senses and immerse yourself in a relaxing, ambient gaming experience with BLAZE. As one of the most challenging and addictive games yet, BLAZE will fulfill your burning gaming desire! The game starts with one single lit candle glowing dimly in the darkness. You manipulate the screen to make the flame light other candles to reveal a relic. The goal is to completely illuminate the relic before the candles burn out. Be fast enough to achieve gold status, or settle for silver or bronze..

KEY FEATURES:
45 ADDICTIVE levels
INTUITIVE tactile controls
Utilizes full 3D attitude and rotation rate with the GYROSCOPE (new iPhone 4 feature)
RETINA DISPLAY with the highest-resolution images presents a vibrant, realistic feel (new iPhone 4 feature)
MULTITASKING allows users to listen to their own music during gameplay
Users can SHARE scores via social capabilities like OpenFeint, Twitter and Facebook

squarezero's comments:

This looked interesting enough for a TOFTT. I've done only the first couple of puzzles so far, and its striking me as interesting variation on the Zen Bound formula, bringing gravity and combustion physics into it. At 45 levels it may be a bit short, but we'll see.

I should note that the game is supposed to support the iPhone 4 gyroscope, but I haven't been able to make it work. The touch-swipe controls work fine, though.
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I would love to see a gameplay video because I am still unsure of the gameplay but it looks great from the screenshots.

08-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchgamer3g View Post
I would love to see a gameplay video because I am still unsure of the gameplay but it looks great from the screenshots.
I searched around, but I couldn't find one. Basically, the game uses the natural physics of flame (it always goes up) and challenges you to light up an arrangement of candles on an object as quickly as possible, by turning the object around in 3 dimensions (like Zen Bound).
08-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I searched around, but I couldn't find one. Basically, the game uses the natural physics of flame (it always goes up) and challenges you to light up an arrangement of candles on an object as quickly as possible, by turning the object around in 3 dimensions (like Zen Bound).
Thanks for the info squarezero, it seems like a game I would enjoy being as I love Zen Bound. I will keep my eye on it.
09-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Ooh, this one looks rather interesting. I think I might have to check this one out when I get home.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Finally got a chance to check it out. It's pretty good overall.

The good:
- Pretty much like a variant of Zen Bound, but with a candle lighting mechanic instead of wrapping something with rope.
- Beautiful graphics, though not quite in the same league as Zen Bound
- Simple gameplay either with multitouch controls (one finger to rotate, two to spin)
- Good sound with an ambient acoustic guitar soundtrack, though that can get a little bit overbearing after a while; it has a little too much presence to work as soothing, out-of-focus background music. You can disable it, though.

The neutral:
- Unlike Zen Bound, there's a time pressure to achieive gold on each level by completing it in under the prescribed gold standard time. I'm not sure how I feel about that, really; it's interesting and presents a certain level of challenge, but you lose the zen-like relaxation quality that Zen Bound offered. I suppose this isn't trying to be Zen Bound, but the comparison is inevitable, and so the time pressure ends up putting this in a bit of a different category.
- Flame animation is a bit threadbare; it feels more like you're lighting fuses on sticks of dynamite than candle wicks, except there are no sparks, and the flames don't really flicker. I suppose that's a bit unreasonable to expect given the hardware constraints and complexity of handling such a comparatively trivial thing, but the further above average something is, the more its flaws stand out. It's an unnecessary thing but it stands out nonetheless.

The bad:
- It supports the 4th gen gyroscope, but it works so counterintuitively that I can't understand why they even bothered at all. You have to hold a finger on the screen and tilt to rotate and hold two fingers on the screen and rotate to spin, and it controls terribly and slowly -- you'll never get gold times using this method. If you're going to mash your thumbs on the screen, why not just slide them around to accomplish the same task and avoid having to twist your device all over the place?

The unpolished:
- With as smooth as everything else is, the odd blanking out when transitioning from screen to screen looks like they couldn't be bothered adding smooth fade transitions.

The missing:
- No Retina display or iPad support
- No iPod music option

Overall it's a nice game with very good graphics, unique gameplay and an enjoyable premise. It isn't without its flaws, but having said that, it's priced right, so that's a point in its favour.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
After playing through the lite version, I immediately purchased the full. As stated numerous times, the game does have that Zen Bound feel to it.

If you are a fan of Zen Bound and/or relaxing games, I highly suggest you at least try the lite version! It's definitely a gem in my book.