★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Honest price suggestions for a new arcade game.

08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Honest price suggestions for a new arcade game.

Hi guys,

i `d like to have some feedback for the price of our upcoming game "Flying Discs: UFOs, Missiles, Soccer Goals, Ninja challenges, Ghosts and much more" .

icon

image of the game

We are thinking of its price at $2.99 but start it on sale at $1.99

This is the game:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=64820

It`s a game that if someone likes it, `s gonna need many hours to end it.
Myself have more than 80 hours pure gameplay on the normal mode (besides the beta testing i`ve done - i am sick of it now... LOL).

And if someone finish it first on the hard mode (really hard though, haven`t make it to the middle yet) he also gets a $300 reward !

Waiting for your true opinions on this.

Thank you
Stamatis - Legal Radiation team

Twitter: @LegalRadiation
Facebook: LineDefense
Web: line-defense.com
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
First of all I really think you should think your title through...any app like that on the app store would turn me away immediately. Once it has a good title I would buy it just because I really like the graphics and the looks of the concept. Second, you should really think your contest through. If you add anything about a contest into your app it automatically puts a red flag up on the Apple side of things. Im a developer and contests have never really worked out so I advise you not to do that if you dont have to.

Finally I would love to beta test your game if you still have a slot, but if not shoot me a PM and maybe you can agree to have your game free for a day for me to post on my thread. By the way Im the free app man

PM me and let me know if you want to have your app go free for 24 hours and Ill get you a lot of attention (focused on your game) and downloads should go up some after that.

08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree that the name of the game isn't very good. I think it needs to be changed to something else (maybe with some words like "random", "chaos", "crazy" etc). But the game itself looks great, I like the look of the art style. It seems like the type of game that could reach the top 100, but if you are aiming for a place in the top 100, then I suggest you start off with a $0.99 or $1.99 price and raise it if/when it becomes popular. It is a risk, but with some advertising it could work. If you have doubts that it will reach the top 100 then your current pricing plan would be fine.
Good luck

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 08-23-2010 at 10:01 AM.
08-23-2010, 10:11 AM
59p. Trust me.

Invaders Must Die.
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't pay 2.99 for it, no matter how positive the reviews. Even 1.99 is pushing for me. I don't usually pay more than 99 cents for this kind of game (only one i've paid is Lumines). For 2.99 i expect a story, levels, characters, art, endings...

I agree the title is kinda generic, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
It is really expensive when you take into account that I spend over £40 a month on games for my iPhone. Get a clue.
08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
This is kind of the wrong place to ask for pricing advice because the answer will always be "free or 99¢".
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
This is kind of the wrong place to ask for pricing advice because the answer will always be "free or 99¢".
Or even "Pay me 99 cents to take it".
08-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Not really. All the answers so far have been reasonable. This game is a $0.99/$1.99 type game and if it's any higher then I don't think it will sell nearly as well.

Besides, if the people here that obviously have a particular interest in iPhone games answer "free or 99¢", like you said, then do you really expect people outside of TA to buy it if it's more expensive?

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 08-23-2010 at 02:50 PM.
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Not really. All the answers so far have been reasonable. This game is a $0.99/$1.99 type game and if it's any higher then I don't think it will sell nearly as well.
The problem here is that the majority of TAers seem to feel that every "game is a $0.99/$1.99 type game and if it's any higher then I don't think it will sell nearly as well". Even if it is true in this case, its going to be hard for a developer to tell if he is being urged to 99 cents because that's what the game is likely to do best at, or if he is just being pushed to the bottom with every other game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Besides, if the people here that obviously have a particular interest in iPhone games answer "free or 99¢", like you said, then do you really expect people outside of TA to buy it if it's more expensive?
I am not sure what your logic is. I would think that people who are the most interested in getting lots of games would tend to try to get everything priced as cheaply as possible. The fact that a lot of good games might never be developed if they had to be sold at 99 cents would probably not weigh as highly as people's desire to get any particular game at 99 cents.
08-23-2010, 03:34 PM
The game looks crazy complicated:

Youtube link | Pop Up

You do a good job of explaining the game, but boy does it look complex. That's a lot of rules to get down D: Or so it seems... Maybe I'm just being dumb

Anywho, given the gameplay style, and apparent overall complexity, I think you should rethink your sale strategy. I think you should release it for $0.99 initially, and after two weeks, raise the price to $1.99 if enough people seem to be grasping the concept easily. But if there are tons of people like me that are having a hard time wrapping our heads around the concept and game, it might be smart to keep it at $0.99 until an update comes out that clears up the game rules.

Though not having played it myself, I'm not sure if the tutorial is good or not. Maybe it's the best tutorial ever, in which case, I don't think you have anything to worry about

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。