★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How many people have bought full versions of games after trying lite versions?

03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
How many people have bought full versions of games after trying lite versions?

Hi everyone, this is my first post so if this question has already been asked then I apologize. I'm just curious to know how many people have bought full versions of games after trying out the lite versions. In my case I've bought Traffic Jam, All Fueled Up, Fuzzle and many others after first getting a chance to try the lite versions out. Thanks to all the developers for giving us the lite versions to try first and then being able to make the decision on buying the full game by trying it out first. I have a DS and many times have bought a certain game only to be disappointed once the gameplay began. Have to say I find it interesting when people complain about a lite version not having enough levels etc. when they are not paying for it and cannot expect to have the same content as the full version.
03-07-2009, 09:16 AM
yes it has been discussed.
I think the biggest thread on this is: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=3018

03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I have bought a lot of games after trying out the lite version. There are those rare games I will buy the moment they hit the AppStore, because of coverage I have seen on websites like TA.

But for a lot of games that look interesting, but I know nothing about, I prefer to try before I buy. Same goes for XBLA games. I love the fact every game comes with a trial version.

If developers were smart, they would create a lite version of every game they put on the AppStore. The developers that complain that they will get thousands of downloads of a lite version, but only hundreds of sales, well that is because your game only appealed to a select number of those who tried the game. Don't look at those numbers as a negative.

Imagine if you didn't have that lite version for thousands to try, you may have only got a hundred sales rather than multi-hundred sales.

Then of course there are the developers that don't release a lite version because they are well aware of the quality of their product and if the released a lite version, they would have zero sales, instead of a view sales with one star reviews.

I say bring on more lite versions, it will increase my chance of buying your quality game.
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shygamer View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post so if this question has already been asked then I apologize. I'm just curious to know how many people have bought full versions of games after trying out the lite versions. In my case I've bought Traffic Jam, All Fueled Up, Fuzzle and many others after first getting a chance to try the lite versions out. Thanks to all the developers for giving us the lite versions to try first and then being able to make the decision on buying the full game by trying it out first. I have a DS and many times have bought a certain game only to be disappointed once the gameplay began. Have to say I find it interesting when people complain about a lite version not having enough levels etc. when they are not paying for it and cannot expect to have the same content as the full version.
Here here. All one should expect from a lite game is just enough of a taste to hook you and, yes, that has helped me in many case find out that the full version would or would not be up my ally. I also have to admit there have been at least a couple of cases where I expected MORE in a full version after having played the lite version (like, oh, the full version only had one more powerup?).
03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
The only one I've bought after playing a Lite version is Solebon. The other games I've either caught while temporarily free or I've just bought them knowing I'd like them, like Pinball Dreams.
03-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I have bought Solebon, PuzzleQuest, Crystal Defenders, Downhill Bowling and TheCreeps, only after trying the Lite versions.
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I bought Galcon after playing the lite version, but I think that is it.
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Puzzle Quest was my latest buy from playing a lite version, it showed me that the game was worth the asking price and I had great fun with it.

There are a lot of lite versions i'm yet to try, most of the time I only try the lite version if it's a game I have had interest in for a while.

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Game descriptions can get confusing or very vague about what the game play is and playing lite versions not only lets me know what the game is about but also get the feel of the game as well. I've gotten so many games that I'm not sure how many I've bought from lite versions but overall I'd say less purchases because I'm more apt to download a light version on a whim that I'm not that interested in just too see what its about knowing I probably won't buy it. Maybe more than a handful I've bought this way and we might take note that a lot of full versions come out before lite versions and would have already made the purchase w/o trying the lite.
03-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I am constantly trying out Lite Versions of games that I have interest in. If it plays good then why not buy it