★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Big Mouse Media
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 35.4 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: NEW VERSION! Now featuring 3 awesome game play modes, Retina Display graphics, new speeds for 'Classic' mode, new achievements, and Game Center support!

'Hot Plates' is a blazingly fast, addictive game of kitchen mayhem in which plates of food whiz by on conveyor belts, waiting for you to add the right sauce. As the conveyors speed up, your fingers will be moving faster than ever to 'sauce' each plate, but don't worry- special bonus plates and power-ups can help you manage the chaos. WARNING: Not all hot dogs are what they seem...

NEW VERSION! Hot Plates now features an exciting new gameplay mode, new speeds for 'Classic' gameplay, new achievements, Retina Display graphics, and Game Center support!

Hot Plates is the latest game from the team that brought you the top ranking game, White Lines. It is fun, instantly addictive and a true test of finger speed that can be enjoyed by players of all ages. Thanks to OpenFeint, you can compare your scores with players all over the world.

MACWORLD: 4/5 Stars! "Challenging and addictive gameplay, intuitive fun with no learning curve, excellent graphics... 'Hot Plates' is simple yet addictive... should have you returning to the kitchen fully armed with sauce bottles regularly."

APPMODO says: "If you are looking for a game that is simple yet addicting, this is it! "

APPCONSUMER: 5 Stars!

GAMEZEBO: 4/5 Stars! "Fast, frenetic gameplay"

A note on gameplay: some players prefer to play the game holding the device in landscape mode (sideways). This is equally comfortable and practical, so play however you like!

For support, gameplay videos and more, please visit platesgame.com
08-23-2010, 08:23 PM
This is actually a fun little pick up and play game well worth a look

08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
This is actually a fun little pick up and play game well worth a look
Agreed! I've been playing around with it all day and it's a perfect simple game with colorful graphics
08-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree. I picked this up over the weekend and have been having fun with it. A great pick up and play experience.
08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Pretty darn fun!
08-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Can anyone post his impressions on this game? I saw it on TUAW today, and was tempted to get it...

iPhone 3G - Casual gamer, app user
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmont View Post
Can anyone post his impressions on this game? I saw it on TUAW today, and was tempted to get it...
Sure

The goal of Plates! is to add sauces on the moving plates before they disappear from your sight.

There are four meals which include:

Steak
Pancakes
Hot dogs
Salad

On the steak, you have to add the brown steak sauce

On the pancakes, you have to add the blue blueberry syrup

On the hot dogs, you have to add the red ketchup

On the salad, you have to add the green salad oil

These four sauces are in each corner of the screen and as the plates come in the the conveyor belts, you have to squirt the food with the right sauce.

You get more points when getting combos by squirting the same kind of food in a row.
08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Developer of Plates! with humble request

Hello, everybody -
I am Kyle Webster, the creator and designer of Plates!
My company, 'Big Mouse Media' is really just a two person operation: myself and Denis Hennessy, a friend in Ireland.

I am really pleased to see such a positive reaction to our game. I have a favor to ask of you: if you really do like our efforts in this new endeavor (I am an illustrator and Denis is a coder for web apps), it would be so great if you could rate the game in the app store. Without the good ratings, Plates! will probably just disappear before we even break even on the time we spent making it (about six months!).

I hope this is not out of line. If it is, I apologize. I'd love to create some more games and I'm glad you like my early efforts!

Best wishes, and thanks in advance to any of you who can help get the word out about Plates! and give it a good star rating in the app store.

Sincerely,
Kyle Webster
platesgame.com
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletwebster View Post
Hello, everybody -
I am Kyle Webster, the creator and designer of Plates!
My company, 'Big Mouse Media' is really just a two person operation: myself and Denis Hennessy, a friend in Ireland.

I am really pleased to see such a positive reaction to our game. I have a favor to ask of you: if you really do like our efforts in this new endeavor (I am an illustrator and Denis is a coder for web apps), it would be so great if you could rate the game in the app store. Without the good ratings, Plates! will probably just disappear before we even break even on the time we spent making it (about six months!).

I hope this is not out of line. If it is, I apologize. I'd love to create some more games and I'm glad you like my early efforts!

Best wishes, and thanks in advance to any of you who can help get the word out about Plates! and give it a good star rating in the app store.

Sincerely,
Kyle Webster
platesgame.com
No worries, Kyle, the AppStore is feast or famine for developers and sadly, for the vast majority lost in the crowd, more likely on the famine side.

So what kind of power-ups can one get in the game and how does one claim them?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews