★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Review: Pinball Magic Mini Pinball Machine for iPhone & iPod Touch

08-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Review: Pinball Magic Mini Pinball Machine for iPhone & iPod Touch

Well everyone, I took one for the team tonight. I love pinball and have a few real pinball machines in the home arcade so when I saw that someone had introduced a mini pinball machine accessory for the iPhone I knew I had to track one down and give it a try. So after calling a few Best Buys in my area I finally found one that had one left so they held it for me and I went tonight and picked it up.

I really had high hopes for this product from New Potato Technologies especially since the purchase price was pretty steep at $39.99. As I had expected it was a plastic unit, very lightly made but after popping in my iPod Touch it felt a bit more solid all the way around. The iPod fit snug in the machine, so far so good. I powered up the free app - Pinball Magic and was pleased with the table design and layout. As far as the mini machine goes, I was a bit concerned about the plunger and whether or not it would hold up to multiple repeat plunges. But after some practice you could pull and release the plunger without snapping it violently so it may hold up better than I think.

There is a very slight delay from the time you press the flipper buttons to when the flippers actually flip. It's close enough not to cause any major issues but is noticeable. One of the biggest problems I have with the App itself is that occasionally the ball would drop right through the right flipper so I hope the developers can fix that glitch as it is extremely annoying.

There is no sound for those of us with an iPod Touch unless I am missing something, but the back box does light up nicely and does coincide with various ball hits on the playfield so there is some nice communication going on between the mini machine and the device. There are no batteries in the mini machine so it is getting all its power from the iPod and I have to say it seemed to drain the battery quite a bit.

This is a hard one to recommend at this time especially for the $40 asking price. But it is still a cool little device none the less and I hope it will pave the way for other interesting iPhone controller products in the future. If you love pinball and are a sucker for gadgets like this, then pick it up. If not I would definitely pass. I wonder what the availability of these will be and if they will be hard to find in the future.

Now for the video (notice the ball/flipper glitch at the very end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuH41wQVupk

So Cal Mike
http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
Video Gaming Dedicated Auction Site
08-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Thx for the review man, these units caught my eye as well but I haven't seen them anywhere in Aus yet.

I'd like an iPad size pinball table attachment too.
08-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Thank you very much for the review.
08-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the effort in the review. But you posted it in the iPad forum.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the review, and I liked your video as well. Just wish they made this for the iPad!
08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyoon View Post
Thanks for the effort in the review. But you posted it in the iPad forum.

Oops. Hopefully they can move it. It was late

So Cal Mike
http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
Video Gaming Dedicated Auction Site