★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Meme, Inc
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 43.1 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: - "Worldy Wings iPhone Game Is the Shmup You've Been Waiting For." - Gizmodo.com
Join the Worldy Wings fleet in the ultimate flying adventure!
Sail through uncharted worlds fighting wicked enemies!
Select the right plane for each world and score as many points as you can!

Take advantage of the Bonus Round and reload your plane after each world!

- 3 different planes to choose from.
- 5 available Worlds with unlimited action!
- 4 Bonus Rounds to upgrade your plane.
- Tons of enemies and power-ups!
- Auto saving checkpoints on each level.
- Worldwide and Local Scoreboards.
- Challenging old-school gameplay with amazing graphics!

Fasten your seat belts and get ready for fun!

odaSoft's comments:
Game play video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6Vxyd3tQE

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worldy-wings/id387191904?mt=8

Join the Worldy Wings fleet into the ultimate flying adventure! Sail among the clouds and uncharted worlds fighting wicked enemies!
Challenge your pilot skills! Select the right plane for each world and score as much points as you can!

Take advantage of the Bonus Round and enhance your plane!

- 3 Different Planes.
- 5 Worlds: Jungle, Sea, Mountains, Desert and Farm.
- 4 Bonus Rounds.
- 20 Enemies.
- 5 Power-ups.
- World and Local Scores.
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Quick impressions, really polished and fun. Works on the iPad.

Negatives...tilt only. This game would be great with a touch option.

08-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Too many good games are coming out lately.

*adds this to her (long) to-buy/play/review list* ^^

I ♥: Aqua Globs, Compression, Silent Swords, Bumpy Road, Rhythm Spirit, ZombieSmash, Ynth, DizzyPad, Tap Tap Radiation.
Connect: LiveTouch.fr // @LG_silentgenius // Game Center : silent genius
 iPhone 3G  iPad WiFi 32Go  black iPad 2 WiFi 32Go
08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Twitter: @niezam - Game Center: niezam
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
No touch control? So I better wait for update or lite version, sorry for me that's a no go. Have most of the top down shooters from the appstore but really dislike tilt-control
08-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Tilt only and out one day before DoDonpachi. This game is out of luck.
08-25-2010, 12:32 AM
No touch control, cheesy sound effects, planes move too slowly. On top of that-$1.99?! Made the mistake of buying it, but it's gone now!!!
08-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Game Impressions

So I registered just so I could post about this game. I've been lurking for a while, but I figured I needed to defend this game. It's not as bad as the initial impressions have been saying, it's just hard.

This is my review from the app store (which for some reason I can't post right now):

First and foremost, allow me to begin by saying that I am no stranger to the shmup (abbreviation of "Shoot 'em up"). From the Touhou Project, to Mars Matrix, to Dominator for the C64, I take pride in having relatively good knowledge in the tried and true game type. Worldy Wings more or less came out of left field as an incredibly good looking shmup that seemed to obtain extremely little press. After acquiring a bit of spending money, I threw the two dollars down and began to envelope myself in this colorful shooter.

After 1.5 hours and a pair of sweaty hands, I can honestly say this is one of the best shmups I've played in recent memory. It's fun, challenging, and an absolute blast for fans of the genre. It sets out to be an old-school shooter and does so with style, grace, and absolute teeth-grinding challenge. Fans of shmups can expect a game that will test their abilities them for hours and keep them coming back for more, regardless of the fact that it's as hard (if not more so) as the recent Contra and Bit.Trip titles (And believe me, that's a compliment). Five huge worlds and three unlockable planes with individual styles round out a game that I plan on playing for days.

However, the difficulty and niche style of the game does not make it easy, nor is it for everyone. Fans of easier shmups, such as Galaga and Twinbee, may find themselves frustrated at the size of the hitbox (the area of the plane that can be hit) when compared to the amount of bullets and planes on screen. It can often be extremely frustrating and unnerving when your plane hits a checkpoint with extremely little health, forcing it to respawn at that point with that same amount of health, creating a "rock and a hard place" scenario. However, this will be at no fault of the controls, which are just as tight as the other critically acclaimed app "Dark Nebula." Albeit, some may not be a fan of the tilt controls, I found them to be extremely well done.

That being said, the challenge and sheer chaos that this game has should be more than enough to win over any hardcore shmup fan and may just convert a few new faces. Worldy Wings is challenging, stylistic, and simply one of the best shmups currently available on the app store. It has a few flaws, such as bland music, relatively minimalistic presentation values, and a lack of a difficulty select, but what it does, it does extremely well. If you're a fan of the genre, you really owe it to yourself to pick up this one, even if you're not into the more difficult shmups. There's enough style and substance to keep you coming back to this one for quite some time (even if you only barely sneak past the third level).

tl;dr - It's freakin' hard and niche as hell. If you don't like harder shmups, stay away. If not, jump in. You'll love it.
08-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Wow, impressive review. Thanks for shearing your thoughts.
08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the review.