★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** Listed on Games Magazine's Electronic Games 100 for 2011! ***

Shall I Teach You About Tichu?

Legend has it that over 642 million Chinese play Tichu nearly every day! I don't know about that. All I know is that Tichu might very well be the world's best card game.

Tichu is a partnership game for four players where partners battle to be the first to play all of their cards and score points. Each hand is filled with strategy and risk. Will you be the first player to play all of your cards? Perhaps you'd like to make a little wager on that? Are you willing to risk 100 points? How about 200?

Tichu has long been the favorite card game of all time on BoardGameGeek. Find out why! I promise that you won't regret it!

Tichu boasts the following great features:

* Fully licensed and authorized by designer Urs Hostettler and publisher Fata Morgana Spiele.
* Computer controlled opponents boast a challenging and lifelike Artificial Intelligence that is configurable in numerous ways.
* Up to 4 humans can play linked over Bluetooth or Game Center.
* Full support for Game Center! including achievements, leaderboards, and world-wide multiplayer!
* Extensive tutorial and in-game documentation will teach you how to play and have you playing like a champ in no time.
* Shake-A-Hint feature helps you play while you learn.
* Music and sound effects.
* Keep track of up to 4 games at once.
* Keep track of your game's progress with a fully automated score sheet.
* Track your statistics over multiple game sessions.
* Play in English or German.
* Optimized high resolution images for iPhone 4 and iPad.
(It also looks fantastic on older iPhones and iPod touch.)

Follow the developer on Twitter @sblanding.

Note: If you encounter any issue which you think is a bug, or even if you would just like to drop me a line, please send me email at steve-at-housefullofgames-dot-com. Posting bug reports in the comments below doesn't help me because I can't contact you to ask for more details. Please don't hesitate to write. I'd love to hear from you!

mrbass's comments:

This is one of the best card games available and the AI gives you a run for the money. You play with a partner AI (or a friend with another idevice bluetooth) and versus two other AIs who are partners. Or vs 3 other humans on idevice. Basically a regular deck with four special cards Dragon, Phoenix, Mahjong, and Dog.
08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
+1 In my experience, this is the best 4-player card game in existence.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
+1 In my experience, this is the best 4-player card game in existence.
... that sounds like a massive thumbs up... Weird though, living in Asia I've not heard of this before.
08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Yea this isn't really a Chinese game (and no Chinese would have a clue about this game unless they're introduced this game) rather based off of Big Two and Fighting the Landlord. It takes many ideas from those popular Chinese card games and adds some unique cards to make it it's own. Don't worry Chinese got their revenge when they took Bang! and made their own version which I hear is better.
08-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Returning to say that I really like this implementation of Tichu. Even if you've never played Tichu, you could learn the basics just from this app, due to a tutorial, live tip system, and a full game manual. The nuances of team play will only come with practice, but this is a great way to get that practice. Have yet to try with live opponents, but the AI is competent. The main thing I would change is the shake-tip system, as a button would be preferred, but tips can be turned off anyway. Anyway, great job to the devs.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-25-2010, 03:15 AM
If your learning just double tap and it'll suggest a play beats shaking it.
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
does this have local 2 player play on the ipad? like using the same board or is it pass/play?
08-25-2010, 12:26 PM
I've been waiting for this one. Instabuy!

Who you calling Junior?

FortyRock on Plus+ and OpenFeint
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainen View Post
does this have local 2 player play on the ipad? like using the same board or is it pass/play?
No cuz cards are hidden so it'd be quite cumbersome to hold your hand over your cards through 10 rounds of play. Instead the other person needs another idevice (ipad, ipod touch, iphone) and can play via bluetooth. Plus if you get 4 humans to play your better off playing with a real deck of cards.
08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
ok, makes sense.

I don't suppose you can buy a copy on the ipad and have the iphone version free can you? Or is it two seperate copies that need to be purchased for local 2 player