Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 AM
iPad

Default Cave Run - by Ravenous Games (universal app) [Out in US]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 AM
iPad

Default Cave Run - by Ravenous Games [Universal app] (Now FREE -19/OCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchgamer3g View Post
First off, the game's graphics are fairly simple yet very polished, along with the game's interface and layout. It has a cartoony feel to it and the character runs smoothly.

When you launch the game, you see Options, Play, and Help. In the Options menu you can toggle the music volume and the SFX volume. In the Help menu you see three screens explaining how to play:

Running starts

Tap screen to jump. Hold to jump higher

Avoid pitfalls and obstacles

That's really all there is to it. Once you go into play, the game starts right away. Your character starts off walking then gets faster and faster as you progress to running. Your goal is to avoid obstacles and collect coins on your way. As you level up, the background changes which is a nice feature to look at.

OpenFeint leaderboards and achievements are integrated. There are 13 achievements to unlock along with 3 separate leaderboards for Highest Score, Most Distance, and Most Coins.

Overall, Cave Run is a polished endless runner game with good controls and cute graphics. I can easily recommend it for fans of the genre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusting View Post
I like the game so far, but I can't figure out the volcanoes; sometimes they kill you, other times you survive. is it random? also sometimes it looks like you're going to make the jump but you just keep falling. maybe the art just doesn't clearly show where it's safe to land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epox View Post
Okay here are my impressions:

This game is quite easy to pick up like any other running game and the object is to collect as many coins as you can while running as far as you can. But there are obstacles in the way. First there is molten lava and when you touch it shoots you up in the air going forward (you cannot predict or control where you are going), than there is a puddle of water which you can use to gain speed by slipping on it and finally there is a rock in the way for which you can use to slow done by running into it. The music is great and so are the graphics. BUT when I play the game and I pick up speed my eyes start to hurt and blur rapidly because of the combination of good graphics and crazy speed (like monster dash). You character picks up speed by leveling up and you level up by collecting coins. The controls are quite fluid. Just a simple tap will enable your character to jump and holding your finger wi cause your character to do a long jump. This game is has a sort of canabalt like feel but fans of monster dash will appreciate this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
This is a decent game and looks/plays well on the iPad. The music is great and really sets the mood. The play mechanics work great and are simple.

I understand that a shop is coming but I would have preferred that a shop be in the game on release. I love collecting all of the coins and it would be cool to buy outfits or upgrades.

One negative, the level up can be very big and bright and is a little distracting at higher speeds.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-26-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Another instant buy when it arrives in the uk
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

I want it
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Default Game Impressions

First off, the game's graphics are fairly simple yet very polished, along with the game's interface and layout. It has a cartoony feel to it and the character runs smoothly.

When you launch the game, you see Options, Play, and Help. In the Options menu you can toggle the music volume and the SFX volume. In the Help menu you see three screens explaining how to play:

Running starts

Tap screen to jump. Hold to jump higher

Avoid pitfalls and obstacles

That's really all there is to it. Once you go into play, the game starts right away. Your character starts off walking then gets faster and faster as you progress to running. Your goal is to avoid obstacles and collect coins on your way. As you level up, the background changes which is a nice feature to look at.

OpenFeint leaderboards and achievements are integrated. There are 13 achievements to unlock along with 3 separate leaderboards for Highest Score, Most Distance, and Most Coins.

Overall, Cave Run is a polished endless runner game with good controls and cute graphics. I can easily recommend it for fans of the genre.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

So bored of endless running games, however, I still haven't found one nearly as long lasting as Canabalt. Could this be it.

A definite buy.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Too many running games lately. Too many other releases today. A pass for now. But the graphics do look nice.

....Now if only those coins were used in some sort of upgrade shop or something then we're talking!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Graphics looks good but gameplay feels slow from the video. Not really sure where the challenge is. I guess online leaderboard is about the only selling point here.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Does look interesting and the graphics certainly are nice, I dunno about it being slow place though. But anyways this is going on the wish list.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
Too many running games lately. Too many other releases today. A pass for now. But the graphics do look nice.

....Now if only those coins were used in some sort of upgrade shop or something then we're talking!
The dev said a shop is coming at a later date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Graphics looks good but gameplay feels slow from the video. Not really sure where the challenge is. I guess online leaderboard is about the only selling point here.
The gameplay speeds up rapidly once you get about 30 seconds into the game. And more challenge comes when you have to jump to avoid sliding on puddles and jump over rocks and volcanoes!