★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New word game - Anagramalama

08-27-2010, 02:47 AM
New word game - Anagramalama

I found this game while browsing iTunes and was wondering if anyone had tried it. Looks like a half decent word game type thing.

http://appshopper.com/games/anagramalama-fear-the-llama

[app*info=full]http://itunes.apple.com/app/anagramalama-fear-the-llama/id388290496?mt=8#[/app*info]

Last edited by Tmonine; 09-08-2010 at 04:59 AM.
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Anyone?

08-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Does look decent yes.

For app info post this (without the two asterisks)

[app*info=full]iTunes link here[/app*info]
09-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Anagramalama - FEAR THE LLAMA!!!

Hi guys,

I quite like the game - been playing it for the last two months. But then I wrote it! ;-)

It's an 'arcade-oriented' word game which basically means a balance of action vs brain strain. It originally started out as a graphics test.

I don't know if anyone here is aware of an old British cartoon called 'Roobarb and Custard' (sic). It was a test to try to capture the 'wobbly' feel of that and morphed itself into an addictive puzzler. When I say addictive I don't mean to 'blow my own trumpet' (!) - I just mean I wrote it to be a game *I* find addictive - of course I hope others do to!

I'm new to this forum - but it looks like the custom to post some promotional codes, so if you'd like a free copy:

9J9NJK6JT3XY
H4N6R3LJJHTH
FR4JLNTMWKMR
XTYLNXLHKLJR
4YYEAPATXWN3
H47K3LTN6EAF
NP9XHPKLKNTR
WT3PW9MHF7EP
JPYA3PKHJMK7
PT34TWP66TTK
6EELHR3AAAEA
W677HF9J7LF6
YMETMMRF3YEK
YJ47RMMXWW3K
XH764WFWJ4MJ
7X3JF39T36AK
FJXHTYENFFP3
X39LTN7JRWFN
YNNYEH3JNK9Y

A rating and/or review would be appreciated! I'm developing this game independently (my day development job is a lot more mundane) so if there are any features you would like to see, drop me a line. You can also visit the main website at http://www.anagramalama.com

Thanks
Andy aka TheGreenLlama
09-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Took:H4N6R3LJJHTH

Editor at TouchArchive - Follow us:Twitter Facebook
Games List Tested Join our staff just PM me.
If you want to see your game on our blog,just send us a request.
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks, I got 6EELHR3AAAEA.
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Word game? Count me in. Grabbed YNNYEH3JNK9Y. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the code.
09-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I took...

YMETMMRF3YEK -- I'll give it a spin. Thanks!
09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
@RagManX - Just spotted your review - thanks very much! A mate of mine suggested having the controls work vertically as well so that he can play it lying on the couch(!) - so I'll be tweaking the sensitivity side of things. I've got a number of tweaks ready to roll so I'll slip this one in and get the update out ASAP. Thanks again!
09-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Game Impressions

Review - (ish)
Ok; i dont normally do proper game reviews, so bear with me.

Anagramalama
This is a basic word game where you have to make a word out of a set amount of letters before the time runs out. However, it is unlike conventional anagram games in that instead of simply pressing on the letters in order, you have to navigate your little red blob guy, Bob Wobbly, around the screen through the letters in order by way of tilting, all the while avoiding the annoying green llama who rushed across the screen, causing you to lose all your current collected letters.

Art; The art in this game is great. The wiggly doodle style is reminiscent of 'Roobarb and custard' (if you know that show) and the random varying backgrounds for each level has a really good effect. Each time the loading screen shows bob is decorated with different facial features which is also nice to look at rather than a boring loading screen. The letters are represented by newspaper-clipping style squares that doesn't really fit with the effective doodle theme but works well anyway.

Sound; The Main menu music is absolutely brilliant, yet sadly in the current version this does not carry over to in the actual game, where the only background audio is the beep of the timer. But when the llama comes he yabbas on about himself for the duration of his trip across the screen which is pretty funny and sounds cool. The game does not let you play your own ipod music, which is a real shame.

Gameplay; Unfortunately, due to a lack of tilt calibration, you have to be holding the device horizontal to play. This is probably one of the most damaging attributes to the game, as if you want to play in any other position (for example lying on the couch), you cant really do so comfortably. Collecting of the letters is really smooth and they are conveniently placed around the edge of the screen so you dont have to worry about hitting the wrong letter, but when you do there is a convenient red 'X' button to put back the last letter you picked up.

Highscores system; The game feature 6 slightly different game modes. you can start at either 5, 6 or 7 letter words and play with either 'common words' or 'anything goes'. Unfortunately, the only highscores there are is the top local score for each mode. No online scores, acheivements or even local top ten.

Overall this game really exceeds in both graphical and sound areas but is slightly lacking in gameplay and replayability. This is a good pick for it's first tier price point, considering that is probably less than a bar of chocolate will cost you, wherever you go and this will probably provide you with more enjoyment and not be as bad for your health. If this game was free i don't think may people would appreciate it as much as the app store is full of example of decent games going free then losing all their itunes ratings due to cheapskates with overly high expectations of free apps.