★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Silent mode and games

10-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Silent mode and games

I love Lux Touch, not just the game, but it obeys one simple rule I think all apps should. If you have your phone on silent it won't play sounds. Developers, please, PLEASE check this and turn off the sound effects if it's set. Especially those noisy main menus. Let us get to the options menu before annoying everyone around us. Maybe ask if we want sound when we start the game. Thanks!
10-20-2008, 01:23 AM
If you want more games to have this (which I do too) then don't just ask devs to add it. It's not that easy, they have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to do it.

Here's a better idea: Ask the dev to make that code open source since there is no more NDA in effect. I'll even compile all of the open source code on one page so that all devs get to use it.

(I already have the source code base for Mote-M)

10-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
If you want more games to have this (which I do too) then don't just ask devs to add it. It's not that easy, they have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to do it.

Here's a better idea: Ask the dev to make that code open source since there is no more NDA in effect. I'll even compile all of the open source code on one page so that all devs get to use it.

(I already have the source code base for Mote-M)
I have sent emails to a couple developers. I'm just complaining and hope some others will see it. My occupation is a software developer and I have difficultly believing it's difficult to do. The API can't be that bad. I haven't had chance to do any iPhone development yet, but I'll try to look at it soon and let you know.
10-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
I have sent emails to a couple developers. I'm just complaining and hope some others will see it. My occupation is a software developer and I have difficultly believing it's difficult to do. The API can't be that bad. I haven't had chance to do any iPhone development yet, but I'll try to look at it soon and let you know.
well i agree but it's a feature that isn't necessary for a game. it's an added feature.

if we as consumers want to see features added then we should be more proactive about it. I've emailed a few devs that I've helped with beta testing to see if I could get them to donate any code.
10-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Especially for a game that feature is necessary!

When I want my device to be silent I don't want a game to come up and make a loud noise. That's why I have a mute switch!

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the problem is is that developers use the volume, and not the ringer. Silent mode only cancels out ringer, which is why some games are silent and some aren't. (Some use the phone ringer, and some use the sound option that the ipod uses). Which can be the problem.
10-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
I love Lux Touch, not just the game, but it obeys one simple rule I think all apps should. If you have your phone on silent it won't play sounds. Developers, please, PLEASE check this and turn off the sound effects if it's set. Especially those noisy main menus. Let us get to the options menu before annoying everyone around us. Maybe ask if we want sound when we start the game. Thanks!
Totally agree with you.
10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I tried to figure out how to check if the sound is muted for my apps but the simple problem is that they don't say how to do it in any of the documentation. I'm sure that once the few people that have found out the code for it start spreading the word it will be in every app. This problem is all Apple's fault for keeping the NDA for so long.
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I feel the same too, thank god that simply covering the speaker with a finger pretty much mutes games until you get the sound under control.

Seeing how the silent switch effects the ringer, shown with a bell icon on screen, you can't blame them. Though, it's always confusing how the side volume control adjusts ringer volume then suddenly the sound mode. Most the time while an app is launching the volume still only effects the ringer. Not until the game is fully loaded and blasting do you finally get sound volume control.

Maybe a simple fix from Apple would be to have the volume controls only effect sound volume when the ringer mute switch is on. As what's the point of controlling the ringer volume while muted. So it would be handy to flip the mute switch on just to quickly lower sound volume.