iPhone Pocket RPG - Will be published by Crescent Moon Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tasty_poison, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tasty_poison

tasty_poison Active Member

Aug 16, 2010
    making games and drinkin'
    Cape Town
    #1 tasty_poison, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

About:

Hey guys this is Tasty Poison Games (a company from South Africa) bringing you information on our next upcoming title.

Pocket RPG is going to be a stripped down action RPG Shooter, Hack 'n Slash, Rogue-like for the iPad. (Try saying that 10 times fast :D)

Fantasy themed with chibi characters. There will be a choice of three character classes through randomized areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teaser:

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Do you have plans on making an iPhone version?

3. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Lovely, reminds me of Little Big Adventure... perhaps even Silver

4. gsspzcw

gsspzcw Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    This looks good so far. I am interesting in seeing more. I am assuming from the pictures the classes are archer, warrior, and mage, correct?

-E

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks nice.

6. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    From the screenshots and brief description, this looks like fun. Before Christmas is a pretty big launch window to start teasing us. ;) But take your time and get the game right. It's always better to have a great game release later than expected than to end up with lots of bugs or poor game play by rushing to release.

7. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Is this coming to iPhone too?

8. tasty_poison

Aug 16, 2010
    Cape Town
    #8 tasty_poison, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    Yes but first the iPad version. Been having nothing but troubles since OS4 was released. (My 3G is practically a paper weight now...)

@gsspzcw
    Yes you are correct. We are calling them Dark Ranger, Blade Master and Battle Mage. ;)

@ Finandir
    Well next week could be considered before X-Mas (JK)
    We do plan to release in November but I would hate to disappoint people and rush it as you said.
    The artwork and design actually only started about 2-3 weeks ago and should be wrapped up by the end of next month. (revisions not accounted for.)
    UI is completed Characters and weapons are done, all the models for the Monsters are completed and UV'd waiting for textures plus one area tile set is complete.
    Game balancing/design should be finished soon. (Give me a week or 2)
    Next week the programmers can work without waiting on the art and design side to slow them down.
    It seemed like a good time to show off some of the work now that we have done some performance testing and do not have to worry about not being able to pack in enough creatures to make the game a reasonable challenge.

I could start off a developer blog if this interests anyone. A complete start to finish documentation.

Cheers!

9. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    more interesting stuff :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lolz, thanks Doctor Rice Bowl for helping us post our own work!!!

Seriously though thanks for taking an interest :D

11. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    it is a rather interesting game :)

12. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    its probably not good to name it "pocket rpg" if it's just for the ipad at first. i certainly don't have pockets that big.

13. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Agreed.

14. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    looks very nice. I look forward to seeing how combat shapes up. I wonder if you could tell us whether or not the items you upgrade will have different looks?

15. APP-MASTER-360

APP-MASTER-360 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    #15 APP-MASTER-360, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    I would happily buy this the day it will be released... too bad I don't have an iPad... yet. But... I do have an iPod ;)

16. tasty_poison

Aug 16, 2010
    Cape Town
    I agree the name is a bit of a mislead. The moment we thought of the name and started work we had no idea the OS4 would hurt the performance of the 3G so heavily. We had just wrapped up Dragooo and the performance issues were killing us. We then stated in the description that there would be noticeable stutter on 3G yet everyone who had issues with the 3G would still complain.
    PRPG is fully 3D as was Dragooo and we will run into the same performance issues. (or we could sacrifice the look and gameplay... which is out of the question.)

There is no place that you can stop people with older hardware from purchasing your product if it is iPhone compatible on the Apps store.

I know this sounds like a huge excuse and I am sorry.
    We do intend to support the 4G as soon as the engine we are using will permit it.

@Goose

Yes each upgradable will have a different model and look.
    The stats for each character will be directly affected by what is equipped and leveling will automatically change the characters skill tree.
    This will help with keeping the gameplay quick with a limited amount of stat adjustment required by the player. All the player must do is equip a weapon/item and the character is ready to go and keep adventuring/hacking.

You could actually say that the "Pocket" in PRPG is meant to mean "Light" or "Easy"... I just made that up btw. ;)

The version for iPad will probably be called Pocket RPG "the big pocked edition!" but that is a mouth full. ;)

We are always open to suggestions until we go gold somethings other than gameplay and major changes can always be tweaked.

17. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Looks pretty nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. How far off is launch?

18. Obscure

Obscure Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Australia
    I definately like the look and overall the game looks fantastic. I'll be looking forward to this one and I'll more than likely purchase it when it comes out.

19. Tarzerix

Tarzerix Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Art Director/ Gamedesigner
    I really enjoy your artstyle...
    those blobmonsters remind me a bit of Conkers Bad fur Days "great mighty poo" boss (which is a good thing! :eek:))
    i definitely will follow your progress...good luck

20. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Excellent news on the models, I know it's a tough thing to incorporate a good number of interesting models in the game. Looks to be a good fun game, can't wait to score an iPad and hook this up!