★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

2d retina display games?

08-29-2010, 10:32 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,224
2d retina display games?

It seems a lot of 3d games are getting the retina treatment and they look gorgeous. But I don't see much (or any) 2d sprite based games with retina display. Sure the pixel double works better on 2d stuff than 3d polygonal stuff, but having high res 2d art would make me extremely happy =P

Look at stuff like Braid, Boy and his Blob for wii, Blaz Blue, and just imagine how awesome that would be on iphone =P


So are there any 2d graphics games with retina display support out right now or coming out in the near future?
08-29-2010, 11:02 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdigger802 View Post
It seems a lot of 3d games are getting the retina treatment and they look gorgeous. But I don't see much (or any) 2d sprite based games with retina display. Sure the pixel double works better on 2d stuff than 3d polygonal stuff, but having high res 2d art would make me extremely happy =P

Look at stuff like Braid, Boy and his Blob for wii, Blaz Blue, and just imagine how awesome that would be on iphone =P


So are there any 2d graphics games with retina display support out right now or coming out in the near future?
I hope Braid will be ported on iPhone

I love this world!

08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
#3
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 344
I'm nearing the end of making a 2D shooter. I've just completed doing a set of graphics to suit the retina display. Looking forward to seeing the programmer implement them.

World Series of Poker is 2D and looks very nice on a Retina Display.
08-29-2010, 12:38 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 8,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
I'm nearing the end of making a 2D shooter. I've just completed doing a set of graphics to suit the retina display. Looking forward to seeing the programmer implement them.

World Series of Poker is 2D and looks very nice on a Retina Display.
Nice mate! Hope to see some details soon!

Invaders Must Die.
08-29-2010, 12:52 PM
#5
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 975
Awe man, Braid or World of Goo would be awesome on iPhone
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
You should check out Skysmash 1918 if you want a 2d sprite based game that really uses the retina display.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skysmash-1918/id332505217?mt=8

On sale at the moment for just 99c!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skysmash_screen1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	22546   Click image for larger version

Name:	skysmash_screen2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	22547   Click image for larger version

Name:	skysmash_screen3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	22548  

Click image for larger version

Name:	skysmash_intro_screen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	22549  
09-05-2010, 01:57 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 8,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
Awe man, Braid or World of Goo would be awesome on iPhone
World of Goo would slay.

Invaders Must Die.
09-05-2010, 02:05 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Flight Control, Doodle Jump, Plunderland, and Osmos are all good 2D games with retina display.

Hakuna Matata
09-05-2010, 05:52 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 480
you forgot Fargoal

Add me on GameCenter (and every other network!) my user ID is kushykush on all of them!
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
#10
Ponk

Ponk Phenomania