★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Thumb Wars?! - Rip Off, or Original?

03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Thumb Wars?! - Rip Off, or Original?

I don't even know what to think about GameLabs new game, Thumb Wars, a New Dope.

The characters are a straight rip-off of Steve Oedekerk's short series of parody films. Check out this link for some clips from those short films.

As far as game play, it looks like you just play some small mini-games against someone else.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I've been away for awhile, but I'm back.
03-08-2009, 09:54 AM
All I could think of first was the bonus feature from Kung Pow.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Steve Oedekerk is the main actor and director of Kung Pow

03-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbake View Post
Steve Oedekerk is the main actor and director of Kung Pow
Well that makes sense then.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
So, just out of interest, do they have anything else in common except thumbs with faces drawn on them? I used to draw faces on my thumbs when I was about 7 was I ripping off Steve Oedekerk?

I don't know how original his shorts are though or whether this is a direct copy or not... I'm just posting some points.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
They are not the same characters, just the same style. I guess it would be like having a guy in a brown cloak holding a lightsaber and calling it Star Wars. But then saying it's not Obi Wan so it's original.

I don't think it's copyrighting, but it's just not original.

Has anyone tried the game? I was thinking of TOFTTing this, but didn't want to cause if the lack of creativity on their part.

03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbake View Post
They are not the same characters, just the same style. I guess it would be like having a guy in a brown cloak holding a lightsaber and calling it Star Wars. But then saying it's not Obi Wan so it's original.

I don't think it's copyrighting, but it's just not original.

Has anyone tried the game? I was thinking of TOFTTing this, but didn't want to cause if the lack of creativity on their part.
Fair enough, their idea wasn't particularly original but it seems like a reasonably good game. If you are thinking of buying it don't get just Thumb Wars get PIXEL (the new version of Game Lab) because at the moment it is only $0.99 and it contains Thumb Wars plus some other games.

We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
03-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tip. Now, pixel, that's an original idea!! I like that.

03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Just thought I'd say that I went ahead and bought PIXEL and it's definitely worth the 59p (99c). Thumb wars is a really fun game and so are the others. It's worth it even if it doesn't get updated again.