★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Papi Ripoff?

10-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Administrator [Original Poster]
Papi Ripoff?

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293670144&mt=8

PopyLander

Quote:
Popy Lander is the newest game featuring everybody's pal, popy. The goal of this addictive game is to successfully land your popy on the platform. But be careful, it isn't as easy as you may think. If you try and land on the platform to quickly, you popy won't survive the fall. If you complete the task, you will be able to access the high score table. Try your best to successfully land popy, and this app is guaranteed to supply you with countless hours of fun.
Looks like this guy's trying to build off the reputation of the popular PapiJump and other apps made by Sunflat. A pretty crappy thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	670144.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	45  
10-20-2008, 02:50 AM
thats pathetic! thats the first thing i thought when i saw this D:< its total junk next to mr. papi!!

10-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Agreed. Even 'Poppy' sounds like 'Papi'. A real cheap nasty thing to do. I doubt if the developer of Papi hasn't got any copyright on it either- if he did he could sue his a**!
10-20-2008, 02:52 AM
AAApplications makes terrible apps. The Rubberduck app is just a picture of a duck that makes a noise when you squeeze it and iCounter well, same as Duck but instead of duck there's a picture of a red button...
10-20-2008, 02:52 AM
That's really a shame.

Sunflat builds a name
Apple builds the code as part of the sdk

You add a cheap knockoff of Papi, draw a parachute, and charge a dollar?

I wish that no one bought this game but I know they will because you have to buy the app in order to do a review of it so they won't know that it is a ver very cheap knockoff
10-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Well, as I see it, the Papi thing is a series which is available for different mobile platforms, eves as a jump and run. So, he should has some rights to fight for.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Awful - even the character looks the same. Still, I can't see many people buying it - why bother when you can get PapiJump Plus, which has a huge reputation and following (and a game I completely love!), for the same price? Or the regular PapiJump for free?
10-20-2008, 04:02 AM
This is the second app on here in the last week that is just a re-skinned version of the CrashLander sample code that apple provides to developers. I'm really surprised that they're even allowing these through.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-20-2008, 07:32 AM
How could they do this to Mr. Papi?

Haven't they seen his abilities? Jumping, Balancing etc.

These guys messes with the wrong smiley face...
10-20-2008, 07:51 AM
I noticed this too. Pretty pathetic and what's worse is that they'll probably end up with some sales as I'm sure there will be some people who are fooled by it. Now that you can't post a review without buying, which is good, but you also can't post a comment without buying, which is bad, there is no way to shoot this thing down. The AppStore is woefully inadequate in so many ways....