★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To all developers who wanna make some serious dollar

09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 575
To all developers who wanna make some serious dollar

Look at the new released tech demo of the unreal engine on iphone. and build a game with it. oh, and do it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
The first game with this engine will be like pure gold & diamonds coming from the shower!
OMG this is really to beautiful, i want UT3 Engine games nowwwwwww

EDIT: Make a FPS game with beauty like this and il be happy to pay 20 euro's or more!

Last edited by Borgqueenx; 09-01-2010 at 04:01 PM.
09-01-2010, 04:13 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgqueenx View Post
Look at the new released tech demo of the unreal engine on iphone. and build a game with it. oh, and do it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
The first game with this engine will be like pure gold & diamonds coming from the shower!
OMG this is really to beautiful, i want UT3 Engine games nowwwwwww

EDIT: Make a FPS game with beauty like this and il be happy to pay 20 euro's or more!
I believe it cost about a million dollars to license unreal engine on consoles. Not sure what the price is for iPhone but a game will probably need to sell at 20 euros a copy to make back any money.

Sketch Nation - Create Your Own Game!
Works on iOS, Android, Mac and PC!
Just go to http://sketchnationapp.com/

09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzan View Post
I believe it cost about a million dollars to license unreal engine on consoles. Not sure what the price is for iPhone but a game will probably need to sell at 20 euros a copy to make back any money.
It is free to use the UDK. There is a percentage royalty though once you release a game.

Not sure if the same percentage will apply to iOS games, but I've read that it is 25% on consoles.
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
#4
I like that business model...

Free to use and develop and have them take a percentage. Some engines are pretty expensive for the advance features and a lot of indies can't foot the bill up front.
09-02-2010, 01:46 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgqueenx View Post
Look at the new released tech demo of the unreal engine on iphone. and build a game with it. oh, and do it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
The first game with this engine will be like pure gold & diamonds coming from the shower!
OMG this is really to beautiful, i want UT3 Engine games nowwwwwww

EDIT: Make a FPS game with beauty like this and il be happy to pay 20 euro's or more!
Also don't forget that this was just a demo. It takes A LOT to go from a demo to an actual game, and several developers have had issues with Unreal Engine 3 not delivering on features they promised.

Now if Epic release a game themselves, that will be a different matter.

Sketch Nation - Create Your Own Game!
Works on iOS, Android, Mac and PC!
Just go to http://sketchnationapp.com/
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzan View Post
Also don't forget that this was just a demo. It takes A LOT to go from a demo to an actual game, and several developers have had issues with Unreal Engine 3 not delivering on features they promised.
And it was a demo that: "...a small team of Epic’s programmers, artists and testers created “Epic Citadel” in just eight weeks of development time."

If that small team consisted of 7 people it translate to more than a year's worth of man hours. And that's for a project with zero gameplay...

For the majority of iPhone developers something like this would be a huge undertaking. No doubt we'll see some stellar games with this technology but it requires some substantial investements both in time and money...
09-02-2010, 06:55 AM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 942
And don't forget that you need a few years to understand the engine and being able to make assets, shaders etc .of that quality. Still quite interesting new engine
09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
#8
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 344
It is a very nice demo, but it is the quality of the artwork that is stand-out as much as it is the game engine. Don't assume that you will get that quality just from using the Unreal engine.
09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
It is a very nice demo, but it is the quality of the artwork that is stand-out as much as it is the game engine. Don't assume that you will get that quality just from using the Unreal engine.
I agree with Moonjump, and at the same time I think heavy 3D games on the iPhone are just somewhat of a waste of the mobile phones battery life. I would rather play games with 2D graphics, similar to the DS graphics that will last longer than games that can only last me say 2 hours with amazing PC graphics. That is what my PS3 is for.