★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Epic Games making Unreal Development Kit available FREE to all iDevice developers!

09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Epic Games making Unreal Development Kit available FREE to all iDevice developers!

http://www.epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel
http://www.udk.com/download

Epic Citidel FAQ
Quote:
What is Epic Citadel?

Epic Citadel is an application that showcases the technical capabilities of the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 on iOS devices.

In Epic Citadel, players navigate a fictional castle realm using simple and intuitive touch controls. It’s all about exploring the world, from the circus bazaar to the bridge overlooking the river to the mysterious cathedral at the center of town. Look around, navigate the area and enjoy the dazzling visuals.

How do I move in Epic Citadel?

Tap the screen on the location to which you wish to move. You can tap a few feet in front of you or far ahead on the path.

You can also use the thumbsticks in the lower left and right corners of the screen to traverse the world. The left thumbstick controls movement while the right thumbstick controls your view.

Drag your finger across the screen to look in different directions. Check out the birds in the sky, the flying flags and banners, the individual shadows on leaves and trees, and even reflections on marble floors.

How long did it take to make Epic Citadel?

A small team of Epic’s programmers, artists and testers created “Epic Citadel” in just eight weeks of development time.

Features

Quote:
What are the technical features present in Epic Citadel?

Unreal Engine 3 for mobile gaming platforms is scalable yet packed with the same tools hundreds of thousands of users work with to create games, simulations and animated content.

Amazing visuals. “Epic Citadel” pushes the envelope for stunning visuals on iOS devices. Through the latest advances in Unreal Engine 3 technology, the application delivers unrivaled graphics and special effects that immerse players in the kingdom’s grounds.

Bump offset mapping. Also known as parallax mapping or relief mapping, bump offset mapping enhances the visual appearance of stone walls and rocks providing intricate textures.

Normal mapped architecture. Brings stunning detail to bricks and ground surfaces within the environment.

Texture blending with painted weight maps. Refines nuances on roads and terrain, making them rich and lifelike.

Global illumination. Unreal Engine 3’s built-in global illumination system, Unreal Lightmass, provides realistic lighting and shadows with minimal development resources.

Dynamic specular lighting with texture masks. Helps create authentic cobblestone roads and vivid reflective marble surfaces, while lens flares and light coronas add dramatic emphasis when panning across light sources.

Real-time reflections and animation. Environment mapping enables real-time reflections on objects such as the statue inside the cathedral. Dynamic movements of trees and banners are made possible through the use of vertex deformation and skeletal animation.

Free tools. Epic’s Unreal Development Kit (UDK), available for free download at www.udk.com/download, ships with the same tools and technologies used to create “Epic Citadel.” Anyone can create games with UDK.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

iPad

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
F*ck yes!!!!

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.

09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
What I want to know is how Apple can feature a UDK demo in their keynote while at the same time saying in their developer agreement that games must be written in Objective C on a Mac.

Right now UDK is Windows only and the code is written in UnrealScript.
09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
What I want to know is how Apple can feature a UDK demo in their keynote while at the same time saying in their developer agreement that games must be written in Objective C on a Mac.

Damn your good! Don't remind apple. I want engine.
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post

That clause only exists in there to cockblock Adobe. Multiple people at Apple have told me they have no intention of blocking out Unity, Unreal Engine 3, the Rage engine, etc.
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I just saw it needs OpenGL ES 2.X. I guess that counts out a few people, doesn't it? At least at the moment...
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...vor_To_iOS.php

Quote:
This is really a Mark [Rein] question, but I'll ask you since he's not here at the moment. For people who are interested in doing something smaller, more phone-oriented games launching at a 99 cent price, are you going to have licensing plans?

I think generally we're going to be in the same range as the UDK, for folks who are just doing mobile -- where, we don't even want to know about until you start making money, because I don't need 2,000 business relationships where I make 38 cents. It's not worth it. But once folks get successful, we take a percentage off of that.

Because the UDK is targeted to a certain audience. I had a feeling this would be like that.

Yeah, free up front. If I could convince the Mortal Kombat guys to give me no money up front and 20 percent on the back-end, I'd do it, right? So that's an absolutely fine deal. I think it'll probably be royalty-based, so that it makes it easier for folks to get in and start using the tools and not worry about some big sticker price.
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
The Unreal Engine violates the Apple app policy in at least two ways:

1. It's a game engine (as mentioned below)
2. It makes HEAVY use of a non-apple interpreted programming language

Or did Epic remove #2 for the iOS version of UE?
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
The Unreal Engine violates the Apple app policy in at least two ways:

1. It's a game engine (as mentioned below)
2. It makes HEAVY use of a non-apple interpreted programming language

Or did Epic remove #2 for the iOS version of UE?
Really? Then why did Apple invite them to demo the engine and why is the demo in the App Store?
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
Really? Then why did Apple invite them to demo the engine and why is the demo in the App Store?
Because Apple are two-faced, it's as simple as that. Like Hodapp has already said: the rules are in place to screw over Adobe and that is all, any other big players are free to violate the rules at their will.

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz