★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: price drops

10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
price drops

even though i have benefited from price drops in the past, im getting sick of price drops right after i buy something. Nanosaur 2 just dropped and i bought it last night. although i appreciate the temporary price drops, I will never be an early adopter of a new app again. i will just wait for price drops. it happened with diner dash too. they should have to lock in the price for 30 days before they're allowed to offer a sale, or give us credit if it drops in 14 days or something. grrr
10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd be happy with receiving credit if the price drops within 14 days.
Kind of how we have "price protection" if you can show a receipt with your purchase within 14 days, almost all stores will give the you the difference back.
Of course, this should be done automatically on your account, and not one where you have to contact Apple as that's a guarantee waste of time in terms of being on hold for an extended period of time before someone picks up the phone...

I have definitely benefited from price drops but also been hurt from them as well... I guess it all evens out in the end??

10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
future bleak?

yea, it always washes out i guess and i like knowing im supporting good developers by paying what its worth. I just got a response from the developer and they hate to do it but not being in the top 50 is hurting sales and making their future questionable. apple needs to fix their website otherwise we're gonna lose all the good developers. i think this game is worth more than 5 bucks but i just hate the price dropping so fast we're gonna end up with all puzzle and card games and the ipod will never be taken seriously as a gaming platform if people dont start supporting great developers the way they deserve. ive bought more psp and ds crap for 30-40 bucks that arent nearly as good at nanosaur 2. i actually feel for the developers. tough spot to be in.
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I was going to post this in it's own thread, this is as good a place as any.

The app store needs two major changes:
1. Price protection on apps.
Give us at least a week, three days at the least. I am sure more people will buy apps instead of waiting and waiting for a sale.

2. Promo codes.
This way developers can give the codes to their friends, family, whatever to give out their apps. Also, developers could send out codes when you buy a game that gives you a discount on their other apps. There are so many things they could do with promo codes I expect these to be implemented in the app store very soon. Now how do we officially suggest this to Apple?
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
2. Promo codes.
This way developers can give the codes to their friends, family, whatever to give out their apps. Also, developers could send out codes when you buy a game that gives you a discount on their other apps. There are so many things they could do with promo codes I expect these to be implemented in the app store very soon. Now how do we officially suggest this to Apple?
That a BRILLIANT idea!
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
how i was going to approach this, not to "upset" my customers when i release my app, will give a warning period, as in a specified date when the price will drop, and when it will go back up..

its easier to change the metadata and inform your customer then it is to try to win your customer back

thats really all that the developer can do, they may loose some higher priced sales, but they will make more in the long run if they respect their customers
10-20-2008, 05:59 PM
good idea but I dont think the developer should be put in that spot. it doesnt seem fair. i see the future of gaming on the ipod truly being all 99 cent puzzle and poker apps. They need to create new top 50 lists: free apps, under $5, etc. Just have a top 50 of "feature" premium apps, you can call it "showcase applications" if you make it sound like what they are, ie nanosaur 2, spore, asphalt, etc...premium apps then people can distinguish them from the rest of the shovelware and be willing to pay for it. right now there's no way to tell the difference. they need better organization in the store so new apps on my ipod actually have new apps on it!!!
10-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to pmseltmann
I work for an iPhone developer and we've had many discussions about this very subject. We don't want to upset customers by lowering prices but we also want to stay competative. I think the new market is still stabilizing. What are some suggestions from a consumers point of view for the current state of the App Store?
10-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmseltmann View Post
I work for an iPhone developer and we've had many discussions about this very subject. We don't want to upset customers by lowering prices but we also want to stay competative. I think the new market is still stabilizing. What are some suggestions from a consumers point of view for the current state of the App Store?
Don't worry about upsetting people who already bought it... They can't "un-buy" an app

Just lower the price and get yourself in the top 50

I mean, I've bought plenty of apps that have gone down in price... People won't be so angry that they won't buy future apps
10-21-2008, 03:22 AM
That's a complicated psychological problem At first, if people buy the app, they spent the price which they seem is right for the app. If it's to expensive, they won't buy it. So, if they buy it, it seems not to be too expensive, but alright.

But regardless of this, they may feel betrayed, if you lower the price. Especially if after testing they feel that they paid too much for what you gave to them (Kroll, Star Wars, Spore).

Take a look at Rock'n'Roll, which had five (!) price changes in the first three weeks: http://appshopper.com/games/rocknroll That's ridiculous. It forces people to wait just another week for the next price drop instead of buying the app just now and this is of course bad for all developers.

So you have to keep an eye on how to change prices. If you look at the list of Rock'n'Roll, you can clearly say, that they changed prices to find a price tag which boosts sales while still being profitable.

So at first keep an eye on what similar applications cost. Currently, everything above 6,99 is seen as a "premium" price. So if you think you created the new Need for Speed, just go for 9,99. If you are the new Match-3-Thing, go for something lower than 2,99. But stay at this price.

You may offer price drops during the first week, during weekends, do a sale, that's ok, but give us the feeling, that this is just a special offer for a limited time and that the app will return to the original price after this offer.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de