★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best Bullet Hell Shmups.

09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Send a message via AIM to tzual
Best Bullet Hell Shmups.

What are the best Bullet Hell games on iPhone? I can't play Espgaluda II or Dodonpachi since i have a 2g iPod Touch. Any alternatives?
09-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Assault Squadron is short, but a lot of fun and extremely challenging to play on harder difficulties.

09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csklimowski View Post
Assault Squadron is short, but a lot of fun and extremely challenging to play on harder difficulties.
How short is it? I've heard that is was short from many people.
09-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzual View Post
How short is it? I've heard that is was short from many people.
Only 6 levels. However, going back to play them on higher difficulties will keep you occupied until you get you $2.99's worth.
09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Does Assault Squadron have a lite version? I've been wanting one myself, but I'd like to give a lite version a shot first just to make sure I enjoy bullet hell games.
09-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
Does Assault Squadron have a lite version? I've been wanting one myself, but I'd like to give a lite version a shot first just to make sure I enjoy bullet hell games.
Same i wish they had a lite for Assault Squadron.
09-04-2010, 05:08 PM
assualt squadron is my fav shmup and ive played almost every shmup on the appstore expect cave pricey games.
check out my itunes review for more info.
09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Lots of shmups are short. I don't think Assault Squadron is shorter than the Cave games...? It's not really about length with these games, they're supposed to be arcade experiences (intended to play for high scores.) There are a few that are significantly longer--Tyrian is epically long, heck, the lite version of Tyrian is still one of the longest vertical shooters available...and Space Invaders: IG has a relatively long campaign. But I don't understand why Assault Squadron is always being singled out for being short when most of these vertical shooters are about the same length.

Anyway, Phoenix will be coming soon, which looks to be a pretty pure "bullet hell" shooter, but the only other one I can think of that is close to being like the cave games that will run (well) on 2G devices is Assault Squadron. Don't hesitate to pick it up.

But I love my Space Invaders: IG, and R-Type. And Ultrablast is currently free, and an excellent shooter as well. One thing there is no shortage of is good vertical shooters for the iPhone.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

Last edited by medianotzu; 09-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM
So what's the most bullet-hell like game that's either free or has a lite version. I enjoy vertical shooters to a degree, mostly games like 1943, but I wouldn't exactly call them bullet hell shooters.

And I just noticed this, but csklimowski, you have the greatest signature I've ever seen, but you forgot about being thrown onto a fence.
09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
So what's the most bullet-hell like game that's either free or has a lite version. I enjoy vertical shooters to a degree, mostly games like 1943, but I wouldn't exactly call them bullet hell
rRootage Online has a free ad-supported version.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms