★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Just when you thought Mahjong had been covered on iPhone/iPad, along comes a stylish new Solitaire Mahjong game ready to take centre stage. The game looks incredible on an iPad, but still manages to look and play great on an iPhone or iPod Touch.

The game uses a unique random board generator, so every time you start your game, a fresh challenge awaits. The levels can be as small as 32 tiles, or as large as 152! You can play a sequence of expanding boards (with Score, Levels and Lives), or use the random generator to build a custom level to fit your needs.

You have full control over the look and feel, the camera Zooming/Scrolling, the size and complexity of the levels, and the guides/hints/suggestions during play.

The small 32 tile level and a solution walkthrough for every board is perfect for teaching the basic rules and logic to anyone who has not played the Solitaire or Shanghai variant of Mahjong before.

FEATURES:
- Unique levels each time you play!
- 50 preset layouts if you want to play familiar levels.
- Very simple to learn
- Small (32 tiles) boards perfect for beginners!
- Relaxing game play with no time limits.
- Solution walk-through available for every board!
- Levels rewind giving you repeat attempts!
- Undo and Shuffle feature.
- Auto-save and auto-continue
- That "one more try" feeling!

shoecake's comments:

I hope you can check out my latest iPad/iPhone game. This is the first time I've covered a familiar game format (Mahjong Solitaire) which already has some strong and mature and apps already. This is just the first version but I feel like its already quite a special project...

I've got v1.1 lined up for submitting soon with 100 preset (non-random) levels for those who like to stick with familiar layouts. I've also got a fun/easy level editor lined up, as well as support for game centre, and various other tweaks.

Feedback is most welcome!

Paul
09-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Game Impressions

Sure the store already has dozens of MJ games, but this one actually offers a few unique twists.

1) The most obvious cool gimmick is right in the name (and why many of you know I have to love it), RANDOM! This doesn't simply mean a layout is chosen randomly but it is created right there on the fly.

2) All levels are guaranteed to be solvable with the right combination of moves. If you manage to solve the level on your first try you'll earn an extra life and a nice point bonus but if you fail it will mean a loss of a life and being forced to reattempt the same layout with the same shuffle (so be sure to remember where you got stuck before so as not to repeat the same mistake). Even if you run out of lives the game will let you still work on solving the board (but for no points).

3) Each successful level will lead you to a new tougher level (more tiles) to attempt until you finally reach your match.

4) There is no timer in this game. Take as long as you want to contemplate your moves.

5) Lastly, a staple in the Shoecake games, you'll get a little evaluation of your score at the end...was it rather weak or unbelievably brilliant? Only the game knows for sure.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

09-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Thank you for not having a timer.
09-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't really see the point in having a timer in a game that has enough subtle strategy to hold its own without. I will probably add an optional timer eventually but it didn't seem like a must have option.

I'm glad you enjoy the game LordGek! I will maintain the Randomness element of the game but I'm also going to add some "Preset" levels including the classic boards found in other games, and some new ones. The Level editor should be fun too. I still think there's room for plenty of randomizing/shuffle features but I think the game "engine" is too good to limit it to random layouts only.
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Based on the screens alone, the presentation and the graphics are polished and easy on the eyes.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
09-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Still looking for the perfect Mahjong game in the Apple Store and this one based on the description and the pictures, looks to be in the right path.

Are there any videos of the game play ?
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0k View Post
Still looking for the perfect Mahjong game in the Apple Store and this one based on the description and the pictures, looks to be in the right path.

Are there any videos of the game play ?
I hope to record some video soon (maybe tomorrow), and also get a 'Lite' version ready for the first update (next week.)

I'll post a link to a video when I have one.
09-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Just got this game on my iPod Touch, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Always loved Mahjong.

Will we ever get more options for customizing the games look though? The backgrounds are pretty and traditional but I would like to see some brighter backgrounds too, such as cherry blossoms. The more choices the better. More tile set colours would be good too. Pink?

It's a trivial request, and the gameplay is pretty much perfect. I'm just a sucker for eye candy, lol.
09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Couldn't wait and just got this game. Perfect game with a beautiful and easy interface. It looks great on the iPhone 4.

With the random generated layouts, this game will last forever.

Highly recommended !
09-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalah View Post
Just got this game on my iPod Touch, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Always loved Mahjong.

Will we ever get more options for customizing the games look though? The backgrounds are pretty and traditional but I would like to see some brighter backgrounds too, such as cherry blossoms. The more choices the better. More tile set colours would be good too. Pink?

It's a trivial request, and the gameplay is pretty much perfect. I'm just a sucker for eye candy, lol.
I hope to add an option to add your own background from your photo gallery, as well as adding some new textures (i agree that more bright colours are needed.) There will be more tile sets but I just wanted to reach the perfect "default set" for this first release.

Maybe downloadable content might be better than bundling in more things. I struggled to keep the game below 10MB at it is, so perhaps downloading extra (free) content (tile frames, tile images/photos, background textures, full screen background photos) would be the way to add unlimited extra customizing options.

Thanks for the great feedback. It means a lot!