★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How to get Reviewed by Big Website

09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
How to get Reviewed by Big Website

We ve just publish Ponk,and Ponk HD for ponk. We send promo codes , and review request to almost all the bog websites/blogs/youtube out there. and it has been 2 weeks now, and still no feedback.

We ve been hopefully featured as New and Noteworthy by apple , but still no big site include TA dare to review us.. i was wondering how do you guys do to get reviewed.

if you have any trick ..
09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Stroffolino,
but the link you gave is a thread for getting reviewed by TA, we ve already send them email, it has been 2 weeks now, and still no feedback..
i guess that for getting reviewed in TA , there are some secret requirement that we dont know about ..

Last edited by Jadchar; 09-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.
09-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I am in the same boat. I can't even get a review on Viking Funeral from the little sites and its a good game.

- Matt
09-06-2010, 11:59 AM
it's really difficult. You can try to email several different sites with promocodes/screenshots/videos/birthday cake and it's more and more of a crapshoot really. Just do the best you can to cover all the bases, between releasing as tightly presented a game as possible, and then emailing everyone in the world about it, and then posting and maintaining forum presence for as long as possible. You've already made it onto new and noteworthy however, which is something most devs can't seem to (here here!) so consider a huge battle already won

Do what you can to support in the meantime and try to update/release other projects to build your name and brand(s). That seems to be the best way, so long as you can last long enough to afford it! Good luck! (I just DL'd your game today with the .99 sale, eager to try it out shortly)
09-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to iFanzine
Just thought I'd offer a non-dev perspective on this. I'm sure every app review site out there is inundated with review requests on a daily basis. With that in mind, the following might be worth considering when contacting 'em:

1) Put together a well written, concise, and informative press release with artwork (screenshots, icon etc), video, and website/App Store link.

2) Ensure you include promo code(s) with your initial email. This saves everyone involved time and means you don't have to send a ton of emails back and forth. Including extra codes for contests might also be an added incentive for some sites too.

3) Bear in mind the majority of sites sell ad space to keep themselves afloat; why not enquire as to their rates? While this won't guarantee a review, it'll let people know you're serious about your product.

4) Try following the site in question on Twitter, Facebook etc. Join their forums, leave a comment on-site etc, etc... anything that might help you build a relationship/rapport with the site, in other words.

The latest iPhone & iPad games. Reviewed. iFanzine.com
"Awesome!"-StudioUFO "Very well written"-Foursaken Media "Cool, Love it!"-Bulkypix
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM

I have done pretty much what you said for my latest game Viking Funeral.

I mean there are 250k+ apps. so its touch for the Big Sites.

On topic for review sites, is there a list of smaller sites, i guess some exposure is good from those sites?

- Matt
09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
@iFanzine I have to agree with you on everything you have said. In my experience when devs include a well made press release and promos, it makes it soo much easier for us too decide on whether or not to review a game. I was actually contacted by the OP and we have decided to review the game. Its very well polished, and a lot of fun. Typically I do not play match 3's but this is a new and refreshing take on some old classic gameplay.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm in the same boat, and it is quite rough and a little demoralizing. My game has gotten great reviews from users and all it needs is a little attention.

I may just end up biting the bullet and paying for some marketing soon because I believe my game has great potential to do well, it just needs to break through the noise.

The only thing that I haven't done is a formal press release, which I may have to do after I'm done with the iPhone version.

Like tower defense games? Check out Monster Feed!
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
it is really tough. I just went on about it in this thread.

I've gone to some crazy lengths with my own promotion (see this old thread) t get the word out for my own game, and it's still not really making me any headway. I've met several website editors/writers and demo'd the game in person and they'll usually "yeah yeah yeah" you but then that's it. At this point you just need to spend either a lot of money (like.. thousands of odllars!) on the production value of your game, or on the marketing, or both..