★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iShoot - FINALLY, the game I have been waiting for!!

10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
iShoot - FINALLY, the game I have been waiting for!!

This is a really well done clone of the old Scorched Earth game. I love it!! I wanted to wait for the inevitable price drop, but I jsut couldn't, and let me tell you, it is well worth the $4.99 asking price. Very well done, you can pick your tank color, even your tank design, and the environments are completely destructible, the weapons are the same great ones I rememebr from my middle school days of playing Scorched Earth on the computer lab 486's during study hall. I hihgly recommend this title if yo uare into this type of game.

I was worried about how many backdrops they have, but I have played thorugh about 5 so far, and have not seen the same one twice, nor have I seen the ones on the appstore photos, so there must be plenty. The only complaint I have is that it is sometimes tough to select your power for the shots. You hold down the button longer for more power, but say you shoot it at 60% which is too far, and 40% is too short, you need 50% but actually letting go at the exact right time to hit 50% can be tough. Sucks to accidently let go at 60% and waste that nuke you just bought.

Great download, though.
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
DUDE!!!! I'm totally downloading this. Comments to follow after a healthy play session...

Edit:

Okay, this has GREAT potential as a Scorched Earth clone. I found that if while pressing the fire button you slide your finger off the fire button it pauses the rate of increase. If you lift your finger off the screen firing will cancel, but if you flick it back to the fire button and release it will fire with slightly higher percentage of power (I got down to 2% increase, which can be dealt with). This is great but I'd suggest a control scheme similar to Discovery's Cannon Game--touch strips with angle and power.

While the photorealistic backgrounds are great the rest of the color palette doesn't match. Tanks are too dark, dirt is to light...lighten up the tanks a bit and darken the dirt a bit and it should look a bit more inclusive of the background.

The shot effects are awesome, especially the nuke! This uses vibration of the iPhone as well to depict successful hits. Very nice work! The one liner responses are sometimes funny, a bit too dry for my taste. It might help to use different font styles/color for each character. Match the tank color and style perhaps...

Lastly, while the maps are great, it'd be better to have larger maps and allow the player to zoom and pan. This increases the difficulty a bit, but allows for more destructible terrain and frees up the sky for arching shots to be seen. Too often in the game the shots simply go out of range, and while I can see the sense of showing more destructible terrain (as there will be less terrain over time) it still is imbalanced. Larger maps and a zoom/pan function would solve this.

The interface needs to be spruced up a bit, I'd suggest making the lower bar invisible until the player's turn, allowing it to be repositioned or making it translucent. I have a case on my iPhone that makes it just a bit difficult to properly interact with the edges of the touchscreen.

I'd also like to note that this game supports playing your own music, a major plus!

This is a great game with many different inventive ammo types and good graphics. I'd definitely suggest it to anyone looking for a Scorched Earth clone.

Last edited by Aeroflux; 10-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.

10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
how is the multiplayer, is it a pass around type multiplayer on one device up to 4 players, or is there multiple device action...or both?

looks good...
10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Hotseat MP is limited to four players, it'd be epic if it supported wi-fi or online.

I should also mention that the resume function seems to be very solid, even with a reboot. So far I had one app lockup (got out of it with the home button reset) and the instructions didn't load once. Both happened before I did a cold boot (power down, power up) of the iPhone. After the cold boot everything ran smoothly, so I suspect the errors were due to the continued memory hole that Apple has yet to address.

Last edited by Aeroflux; 10-20-2008 at 01:43 PM.
10-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post
Hotseat MP is limited to four players, it'd be epic if it supported wi-fi or online.

I should also mention that the resume function seems to be very solid, even with a reboot. So far I had one app lockup (got out of it with the home button reset) and the instructions didn't load once. Both happened before I did a cold boot (power down, power up) of the iPhone. After the cold boot everything ran smoothly, so I suspect the errors were due to the continued memory hole that Apple has yet to address.
Yes, I'm surprised more games haven't taken advantage of online gaming. Wifi is great, but I don't have any iPhone gamer friends close to me. It'd be nice to be able to play more games via the internet.
10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
THis game looks great. Im gettin it as soon as I get an iTunes giftcard Later today.

Top Secret Eyes Only
10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Reminds me of Gunbound !
10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Just bought and played it for a bit and it is AWESOME very well done. Dunno if it was just me though but first time loading up the sceen blinked white and sent it back to the home screen, but has been working fine since
10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Downloaded this a while ago and it's a great game seriously. If you like worms then you should try this and if you don't like worms try it anyway. It's way better than Perilar too.
11-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by (klondike) View Post
Downloaded this a while ago and it's a great game seriously. If you like worms then you should try this and if you don't like worms try it anyway. It's way better than Perilar too.
LOL, posts like this make me realize that I am getting old. Actually, Worms was a modern day clone of Scorched Earth, he difference being that in Scorched Earth, your tanks don't move. But yeah, same premise. Static 2d board, blast the crap out of the other players on the same static 2d board using an array of weapons that you get to purchase in between levels with the money you earn from wins. It is really a polished game, and I am still enjoying it weeks after my original download of it.