★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chess Pro from 99Games

03-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Chess Pro - updated from 99Games (5 Promo Codes for Offer)

99Games has updated Chess Pro with the following features:

- Instead of just three difficulty levels (Easy, Medium and Hard), Chess pro now comes with a slider where the user can choose the difficulty level. This provides an option to select closer to around 20 difficulty levels

- Game strength has been increased

We are also working on more features for this game. I will notify you shortly about the features we have planned for the next update.

Have 5 Promo codes to share. Please PM me if you would like to try out Chess Pro. Please let us know your feedback and suggestions on the game.

Check out exciting Games for your iPhone, iPad and Mac at www.99games.in

Last edited by 99Games; 03-09-2009 at 12:25 AM.
03-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I personally enjoy this game a lot, but it does have a few minor drawbacks.

The opening moves can seem predictable and somewhat robotic at times, it would be nice if it was less obvious.

The rotating board on multiplayer is nice for pass-and-play, but lousy if you want to keep the iDevice between two players, as you would a normal chess board. I also hope to see more multiplayer options in the future, such as over local Wi-Fi and over the Internet.

I left a review on iTunes not too long ago, it covers the rest:

Quote:
Chess Pro is a solid choice, it has been a joy to play over the past week or so.

To start off, there is a great assorment of options. Chess players of any experience level can jump right in and customize the game to their own style. You can choose between a fast CPU (average 5 seconds a move), a strong CPU (average 2 minutes and 30 seconds a move), and everywhere in between. You even have the option to have all legal moves shown to you while playing, which is always a plus if you are still learning the game (or simply don't want to think).

On top of that, we have three different variants of chess to play. You can play a regular game of chess, with standard rules. You can play a suicide variant, where you have to be the first to lose all your pieces to the opponent, with the king holding no significance. And finally you can play a losers variant, which is the suicide variant with the king having significance, and normal check/checkmate rules applying.

You can also customize both your playing board and pieces, choosing between wood, metallic, and 2D themes. Depending on your tastes, you can have the game suit your preferences without a problem.

You can run multiple games on one device with the 5 save slots you are given, so if you want to play with a friend, you can postpone your game with the CPU and start a new multiplayer game, going back to the original game at anytime.

Speaking of multiplayer, you can indeed play a game with another person on the same device with a pass-and-play style. When you finish making your move, you pass the device to the other player. It would be nice to see an option where you don't have to pass the device, but could have the device between the two players like a normal chess board. Currently that isn't possible since the board rotates between each turn. It would also be nice to see a local Wi-Fi and online multiplayer implemented in future updates.

For those of you that just want to watch a game of chess play out, there is a chess demo where both sides are controlled by the CPU and will act according to the difficulty you set.

This game has numerous other features that make it simply fantastic. There is an in-game hint system that can guide you through a game, if needed. On top of that you can undo past moves if you find out your current strategy isn't the best. The list goes on and on, but I won't continue to bore you any further. Go out and give Chess Pro a try and see the rest for yourself.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 03-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.

03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
PM sent. Looks fun
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I could use a good chess app. I just couldn't get into Chess with Friends.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, the trickiest part of coding chess games is the AI. Nothing beats playing against an actual person
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
PM sent.
03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Yeah, the trickiest part of coding chess games is the AI. Nothing beats playing against an actual person
I agree, it must be a nightmare to make the AI seem human-like. Offline play is a must for some people though, especially touch users who don't have the network and rely on Wi-Fi.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodfan15 View Post
PM sent.
15 out of 17 of your posts are in promo code giveaway threads; congratulations.

03-09-2009, 12:45 AM
5 Promo Codes taken

I have shared 5 Promo codes for the first 5 people who have sent me a PM. Your feedback would help us decide on the features for our next update.

Last edited by 99Games; 03-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.
03-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
I personally enjoy this game a lot, but it does have a few minor drawbacks.

The opening moves can seem predictable and somewhat robotic at times, it would be nice if it was less obvious.

The rotating board on multiplayer is nice for pass-and-play, but lousy if you want to keep the iDevice between two players, as you would a normal chess board. I also hope to see more multiplayer options in the future, such as over local Wi-Fi and over the Internet.

I left a review on iTunes not too long ago, it covers the rest:

Hi Donburns

Thanks for your detailed feedback. We are working on the next set of updates for Chess Pro. I will keep everyone posted here as to what our next updates will contain.