Transfer all game saves to another phone

09-07-2010, 01:29 AM
#1
Transfer all game saves to another phone

Once 4.1 is released and I can JB my iPhone 4 (came stock with 4.0.2), I'd like to transfer my save files from my games to the other phone. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in iTunes (only the programs transfer, not the saves). Is there some Cydia or RockApp to back it up (I have a JB'd 3GS I'm playing on right now)?

Thanks
09-07-2010, 01:45 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,569
AppBackUp in cydia will backup all your game saves and you can SSH them out onto your computer and then SSH them into a different phone and then restore the game states again with AppBackUp.


But can't you just "Restore from backup" in itunes from your 3GS back up to your iPhone 4 and get all your games saved data anyway?

09-07-2010, 01:47 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,999
There's AppBackup. You can backup all your saves, SSH into /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ and backup the AppBackup folder onto your computer. Then on your other device, SSH the folder back into the same directory and restore all.
09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
But can't you just "Restore from backup" in itunes from your 3GS back up to your iPhone 4 and get all your games saved data anyway?
ya, unless you plan to keep both the iDevices with you, you should simply restore the new iPhone with your old backup. But if you do plan to keep both devices and dont want to delete the saves from the old one, you'll have to use appbackup only.
09-08-2010, 07:18 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
AppBackUp in cydia will backup all your game saves and you can SSH them out onto your computer and then SSH them into a different phone and then restore the game states again with AppBackUp.


But can't you just "Restore from backup" in itunes from your 3GS back up to your iPhone 4 and get all your games saved data anyway?
All it does is transfer my songs and apps but not the save data.

For AppBackUp what do I SSH? When I tried to research where game saves are stored on the phone the explanations were very convoluted.
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
#6
It does transfer save data. You'll have to restore the new iPhone with the old iPhone backup. iTunes asks you to choose if you want it as a new iphone or restore from an old backup. Select the latest backup of your old iPhone you can see there and you'll be good to go.
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benegesserit View Post
All it does is transfer my songs and apps but not the save data.

For AppBackUp what do I SSH? When I tried to research where game saves are stored on the phone the explanations were very convoluted.
I guess you just completely ignored my post? I clearly stated where AppBackup stores the saves..
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
There's AppBackup. You can backup all your saves, SSH into /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ and backup the AppBackup folder onto your computer. Then on your other device, SSH the folder back into the same directory and restore all.
+1, saved me 2 cents worth of typing

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
06-12-2011, 12:10 PM
#9
there's a guide on backing things up here, if you dont want to use AppBackup.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341974

i'm a pretty kitty cat

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 06-13-2011 at 06:47 AM.