★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Inspiration

09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
App Inspiration

to all you fellow developers, i'd llike to ask: What inspired your app concept and title and why?

add me on PSN = uranium65
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runformoney1110 View Post
to all you fellow developers, i'd llike to ask: What inspired your app concept and title and why?
Fellow developers? Are you a dev yourself?
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofaces View Post
fellow developers? Are you a dev yourself?
well, actually, no, but i am thinking about creating my first app after brainstorming for quite a while. I thought this thread could help exchange ideas.

add me on PSN = uranium65
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
it was pretty easy. i have been a gamer for decades and therefore have a lot of ideas of what i do and don't like (particularly with games that are old-fashioned, therefore heavy on arcade-action and not hampered with complicated interfaces)

going from there, the first thing I thought was "what is not being done on the iPhone right now that I would like to see" and "what can be done to take advantage of this special interface, other than just slapping an image of a controller on it." In the case of 180 I thought of games like Tetris Attack, and Bust-a-move - game genres which were already well-represented on iPhone, but not necessarily in a way where they felt "no more could be done with them" control-wise or design-wise. Immediately my mind went to the fact that unlike with a traditional control scheme, no "movement cursor" was needed and a player could potentially interact with any gamepiece at any time just by touching the screen. What effect could this have, what would be interesting and how could this potentially change up gameplay - other than "merely moving gamepieces around," as so many other iPhone games were already doing?

Thinking within those parameters, the notions for the games we've designed quickly took shape and started to move into the prototyping phase.