★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Steve Perks
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 5.8 MB
  • Version: 1.03
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: Line Ninja, are you ready for an amazing A to Z experience of line drawing games? Six unique game maps from A to F are already included, with new maps in development. Each map offers a different style of game play to enjoy, from spaceships to cars, boats, helicopters, doodles, emoticons and even farmyard chickens!

Now you can play line drawing with powerups! Use strategy to speed up, slow down, grow, shrink or randomize any object in play. Additional powerups include a shield and instant scoring. Lastly and most devastating is the Nuke, providing you with a way to destroy all objects in a potentially crowded area.

Starting with Funk My Car, Line Ninja now introduces a new game mechanic with each map. Let's look at the maps so far...

Asteroid Zone
-------------
Dock the spaceships under your command in this retro vector-based game. Make sure that you avoid the UFOs and the asteroids as you soak up the rich graphics and sounds of 1979.

Beach Adventure
---------------
Try out the different types of coastal transport as you control cars, boats, helicopters and hovercraft. Plug in some speakers and turn up the volume on the stunning rock track as you enjoy a day at the beach.

Chicken Dance
-------------
Chickens and tractors - guess who wins? Guide the chickens safely to their nest and chicken coop whilst dodging the big red tractors. You can almost smell the country air.

Doodle Escape
-------------
We couldn't make an iPhone game without a doodle map. Doodles aren't very clever so they need you to help them escape from the scribbling pencils. Does it sound silly enough yet?

Emoticon 12
-----------
Twelve emoticons - six are good and six are evil, you must guide each to its yin or yang. The Line Ninja makes an appearance at last and he's fast, but can you name the other eleven?

Funk My Car
-----------
You can funk my car but don't funk with my phone. This is extreme line drawing with funkulating spinners that change the color and destination of anything that touches them.

Bronze, silver and gold Ninja Stars are awarded on each map and Line Ninja is also Game Center enabled, providing worldwide leaderboards and 30 achievements to unlock.

Line Ninja supports fast app switching with the game state saved between sessions on iOS4 and above.

Coming Soon
-----------
More free maps, did we already mention this?!
High resolution support for retina displays.
Fast forward option for advanced players.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

09-08-2010, 07:56 AM
*Points* ... That Ninja looks like a sausage!

*Laughs, Runs, Gets hit by a Shuriken*

Invaders Must Die.

09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm not typically a big line- drawing fan, but this one might get me. I like the varying play styles.
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Woah cool, thanks ImNoSuperMan for starting a new thread about my game.

Line Ninja, are you ready for an amazing A to Z experience of line drawing games?
iTunes: Line Ninja
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Looking forward to snagging this once I get home tonight!

I love how each map is more than a change of scenery but actually uniques styles of play!

I also love the concept of power-up but, noting the movie, it seemed like the demo player avoided them for the most part? Are power-ups generally hazards to be avoided or are some helpful?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
Another video:

YouTube: video
I'm loving the weird wacky layering of domains on this map!

-Helicopters fly over everything and only need fear other helicopters.
-Hovercraft can also travel over both land and sea BUT are low enough that they need to carefully avoid other hovercraft, boats, and cars.
-Boats can only travel in water and need to avoid other boats and hovercraft.
-Cars can only travel on land and need to avoid other cars and hovercraft.

I'm hoping to see more maps utilizing this multi-layered and functioned approach like evidenced in this map somewhat previously in the other game, Harbor Havoc 3D.

My iTunes Reviews
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I also love the concept of power-up but, noting the movie, it seemed like the demo player avoided them for the most part? Are power-ups generally hazards to be avoided or are some helpful?
This is my bad. I think I've just got into the habit of avoiding some of the powerups, but the nuke, shield and instant score are definitely useful. As for the others, they can be a help or sometimes a hinderance - but that just adds to the fun and challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm loving the weird wacky layering of domains on this map!

-Helicopters fly over everything and only need fear other helicopters.
-Hovercraft can also travel over both land and sea BUT are low enough that they need to carefully avoid other hovercraft, boats, and cars.
-Boats can only travel in water and need to avoid other boats and hovercraft.
-Cars can only travel on land and need to avoid other cars and hovercraft.

I'm hoping to see more maps utilizing this multi-layered and functioned approach like evidenced in this map somewhat previously in the other game, Harbor Havoc 3D.
Sounds like you've totally nailed the concept behind this map. As for future maps - I've created 5 maps so far A to E, so I've still got F to Z to create and I've got some great concepts to explore. There will definitely be more of this approach including some additional puzzle elements...

I cannot say anymore at this stage so if anyone wants to share this Line Ninja journey and has 99 cents to spare, then download the game.

Line Ninja, are you ready for an amazing A to Z experience of line drawing games?
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I watched the two videos, and nothing interesting ever happened.
Unmanaged boats ran into the barge and just bounced off with no apparent consequence.
Sorry, I just don't get it.
09-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrotran View Post
I watched the two videos, and nothing interesting ever happened.
Unmanaged boats ran into the barge and just bounced off with no apparent consequence.
Sorry, I just don't get it.
Thank you for your comment.

On that particular map (Beach Adventure), it was a considered decision whether to make the boats bounce or crash into the tanker. In the end the map was more playable if the boats bounced, there being enough chaos to manage without the added difficulty of a boat entering at the screen edge just to crash into the tanker.

The consequence of a boat bouncing means that it is not following a path you have drawn, and is therefore more of a loose cannon and prone to collisions with other vehicles - this is a fundamental aspect of line drawing games.

You thought that nothing interesting ever happened. I have to differ in my opinion as playing the game is entirely different to watching a video. Maybe you've got to like line drawing games to appreciate the difference.

09-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Game Impressions

This is a kick-ass line drawer!

While I won't claim it has quite the same level of graphic polish as say Flight Control or Harbor Havoc 3D, it more than makes up for this lack with damn innovative twists in the tired line drawing genre of games.

One of the cooler aspects of this game is the use of power-ups (both beneficial and detrimental). They instantly kick in once traveled over by you or the AI controlled entities. Most of the power-ups are clearly marked but sometimes you'll get a "?" power-up you can run over at your own risk. Some of the possible effects are to slow down/speed up the vehicle running over it, a nuke that blows up all other vehicles on the screen (this doesn't end the game but is actually a useful thing that will give you a little breathing room), and even a power-up that increases your size (just when you though normal sized tractors were a pain).

Each map doesn't just have a different theme, but very unique play mechanics!

Asteroid Zone: This appears to be the most basic of the maps as there is only one type of vehicle under your control and one point in the middle of the map you need to guide them to. But don't think "basic" means a push over as you'll need to guide your ships around the asteroids and ensure they don't bump into each other or the wandering flying saucers you don't control.

Beach Adventure: This map takes thing up to the next level since you now have 4 different vehicles you need to route to 4 different destinations. This map also introduces some cool layering as well.

-Helicopters can fly over everything.
-Hovercrafts can move over all terrain but are low enough so that they have to be careful not to bump into cars or boats (besides the other hovercrafts as well).
-Cars can only drive on land and have to be careful about hovercrafts and other cars.
-Boats can only tool around in the water and need to be careful about hovercrafts and other boats.

In this map bumping into the coast or big barge (not an issue for the helicopters) is not fatal but will bump you off any plotted route you may have already made for the vehicle.

Chicken Dance: In this farm themed map you have two types of chickens that you need to route to two different destinations as well as ensuring they don't bump each other. While at first I thought this would be a rather uninspired map, I then encountered the tractors! These are a bit like the UFOs in Asteroid Zone that you can't control but with the big differences being that they're HUGE and that the only way they can be destroyed is by bumping into another tractor (they harmlessly bounce off the chicken coop). So this game boils down to trying to cleverly route your chickens around these menacing tractors!

There are two more maps I haven't even gotten to yet but can't wait to see!

This game even plays decently (although pretty pixelated) on the iPad with the one caveat being that when you try to exit a map the game will crash to the dashboard.

My iTunes Reviews