Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM
iPad

Default HYBRID 2: Saga of Nostalgia - by GAMEVIL [v1.2] (+lite Out Now)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 09-09-2010 at 04:09 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM
iPad

Default Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamer0900 View Post
I've been playing it about 30minutes.
I think it's much better than the first one.
Control and graphics are much better than the first one.
I think it's def buy for rpg fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
Honestly, I'm still not digging the controls. It feels like they took the d-pad off zenonia 2 and slapped it on here. The dash still is a bit wonky. This plus the bad framerate makes this game so not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The framerate is actually fine on an iPhone 4 (though not ridiculously sped up like Hybrid 1). Definitely not the d-pad from Zenonia, as you can actually move and attack diagonally (which is not possible in Zenonia 1 and 2). Dash seems more more consistent than in Hybrid 1, though still not perfect. The story doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense if you haven't played the first one (and even then it's pretty opaque), but at least the translation seems competent this time.

The three key differences between Hybrid 1 and 2 are:

*the graphics: they're are a lot more detailed and vivid than in the first one. Gray's sprite is larger, too, and he just looks better. This is still a cellphone port, though, so don't except Retina goodness here.

* mapping and exploration: The set up in Hybrid 2 is much more traditional than in Hybrid 1, with the expected towns, dangerous wilderness, etc. Gone is all that overworld/underworld stuff from the first one (at least in my first couple hours with the game). There are also side-quests, which I don't remember seeing one the first game.

* combat: this is bound to be the second most controversial change. Gamevil has gotten rid of the (IMHO) ridiculously complicated combos from the first one. Combos in H2 are simpler and make use of multiple buttons (instead of combining direction al taps and a single attack button). There's no change-grip button, and soul blade is activated by tapping a button in the upper left corner -- no diagonal swipes across the screen. Basically, combat feels more like that of Caligo Chaser and less like that of Hybrid 1. For me, that's a big improvement, but anyone who loved the swipes and combos of the first installment will find Hybrid 2 to be disappointingly straightforward (attack-wise, anyway).

* In-app purchases: the most controversial addition. You can buy anything from respecs to actual equipment and skill-improvement cheats.

All in all, I'm pretty hooked in the game right now, and I'm definitely enjoying it more than the first (that's not a ringing endorsement, since I really couldn't stand Hybrid 1.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
I am actually finding this to be pretty horrid. The story is completely inaccessible unless you have played the first one. I would fail to see why you would care about the characters or what is going on if you didn't. While the controls are improved I now find myself dashing when I don't want to and still think that was a horrible implementation to this game much like the first one.

I am only level 12, and the combat is more fun this time around when the ai hasn't locked you into a position of being pummeled. Unless there is a block button I am missing you can literally be slammed to death without being able to attack back or move. This includes that annoying dash, but don't worry if you run out of the essence of life to bring yourself back, you can just spend money with in app purchases to get more. Seriously!?! The way the in app purchases (which are optional) are fed into this game really cheapen the feel!

Unless you are a fan of the first one I would suggest passing. The game has improved but not enough to sell lemon the series still.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 09-09-2010 at 08:11 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

wow.
didn't see that coming
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Cool! Hopefully it controls better than most gamevil games... After soccer superstars, I'm a little suspicious at how well the analog stick is for this =)
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Like every Gamevil the game looks like it is develop for JTME or java capable devices.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

I saw some pictures of the beta, and they have a joystick and 3 buttons (a, b, and z i think).
I'm downloading it now and ill submit some screenshots to you guys later.

EDIT: found the pic:

Last edited by MrDoctor; 09-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Found the picture
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM

does this game have retina display also what does the app icon look like.

what do the icon at the bottom do in last picture
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoctor View Post
I saw some pictures of the beta, and they have a joystick and 3 buttons (a, b, and z i think).
I'm downloading it now and ill submit some screenshots to you guys later.
And please post some impressions! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen), OS 3.x

Generic story, probably the worst name of a game I've ever seen...

The graphics and gameplay looks good, so I'll wait fir TA review
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmusic View Post
Like every Gamevil the game looks like it is develop for JTME or java capable devices.
Every time Gamevil release a game, someone say that lol.