★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games with depth.

10-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Games with depth.

I wanted to make a start a new thread to talk about what games have a good amount of depth in them. I want a game that can play for hours. I know i could just play on a PS3 or xbox for a bigger game but I wanted to know what games you guys think have a good amount of depth to them now. Also, I want to see if there is a demand for games like this and if people would be willing to pay a few extra dollars. I know I would. I would be glad to pay $20 for a really high quality game with some length to it.

Another thing to talk about would be a bigger story line in the games. Vay for example has a good story line and also took a while to beat. I love this kind of game and would love to see more down the road.

Last edited by mgondek; 10-20-2008 at 04:46 PM.
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
by depth, do you mean (like a console type: it takes 20 or 60 hours to complete a game on avg)
or depth as in level of detail/story/graphics
or depth as in replayability (randomization of levels for continuous random gameplay)

also being that the app store is in its fourth month, i think, give or take a month...i think we should start to see a lot more indepth games, as developers have had a chance to learn the system, put in the time and focus on a project..instead of making a game in a week

10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Dizzy Bee, although not lengthy by console standards, has got a good length to it for an iPhone game (40 levels, +5 bonus levels for achieving gold/perfect on the main levels), and easily is worth 1.79 for the polish, great gameplay, cute characters and sound effects.

There's a lite version as well.

TanZen has an insane amount of puzzles (if you like that sort of thing). I'm only 1/3 completed and the developer puts out more with each update. Kudos to the developer. Again, lite version is here.

Also, pick up Trace for nothing.
10-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry about that. Ya i mean by taking a lot of time to complete. It wouldn't have to be 60 hours but something more along the lines of Vay would be great. Also, a good story line would be a nice thing to have as well. There just seems to be a bunch of games with great graphics and controls but they don't have the length and/or story to them.
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
i've enjoyed Reign of Swords recently...it has a story, been playing for a bout a week casually and only conquered half the map...the graphics are outdated, but the gameplay is there...and when you conquer the land, there are raids you can go on, and engage in online gameplay

I play galcon a lot, its simplistic, but the online element keeps me coming back

but with games like SimCity, Need for Speed, and a few other ones...eventually they will offer more in depth games with high replayability like that on consoles
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I'll second RoS, however the sluggish interface does mar the gameplay slightly. The rest is brilliant, and the units are well balanced.
10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
i've enjoyed Reign of Swords recently...it has a story, been playing for a bout a week casually and only conquered half the map...the graphics are outdated, but the gameplay is there...and when you conquer the land, there are raids you can go on, and engage in online gameplay

I play galcon a lot, its simplistic, but the online element keeps me coming back

but with games like SimCity, Need for Speed, and a few other ones...eventually they will offer more in depth games with high replayability like that on consoles
I have been thinking about getting RoS. The only thing that has been turning me away was the graphics but it sounds like its got the game play that I am looking for.
10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgondek View Post
Another thing to talk about would be a bigger story line in the games. Vay for example has a good story line and also took a while to beat. I love this kind of game and would love to see more down the road.
Hey, if you have beat Vay could you help me with something. Im stuck at Tipya Mountain (sp?) and im at the "floating stair case but have no idea what to do. Thanks.
10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneWars View Post
Hey, if you have beat Vay could you help me with something. Im stuck at Tipya Mountain (sp?) and im at the "floating stair case but have no idea what to do. Thanks.
Ya no problem. Well Vay is a port of some old sega CD game so you can just google Vay and find a bunch of them. Here is one that I found

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...lkthrough.html
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I was hooked on Vay, until my phone crashed and reset my progress. That was before the last iPhone update, when things were still real buggy. It hasn't crashed since then.

Since then, I haven't played it at all. I'll probably get the urge later, though. Im keeping it on my phone, just in case.