★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What is the cheapest available Mac that is good enough to make apps?

03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
What is the cheapest available Mac that is good enough to make apps?

I want to make an app (even have an idea!) and would love to get a Mac. What's the cheapest Mac that will get the job done?
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I want to make an app (even have an idea!) and would love to get a Mac. What's the cheapest Mac that will get the job done?
I wish there was a cheap mac Deb heh. I think some of the Powerbook ones aren't that pricey. Amazon.com I think has listings of them. I envy you girl...they look awesome.

What idea do you have? PM it to me

03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
You need OS X so the cheapest would be a Mac mini which is $600. Devs say they are perfect for making apps so there you go. I too have an idea and will be getting a MB soon so stay tuned. But the coding is hard! Be warned.
03-09-2009, 11:08 AM
$600 is too much

I don't really WANT to do the programming. What's the best way to find a programmer who WON'T rip my idea off and will share profits equally? (either 2-way or 3-way (with a designer) or 4-way (with a publisher).

P.S. Not talking about you ripping it off Candy I'm just too tired to type a whole lot right now
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
You generally won't get a lot for coming up with an idea.

Just a forewarning.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
03-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
$600 is too much

I don't really WANT to do the programming. What's the best way to find a programmer who WON'T rip my idea off and will share profits equally? (either 2-way or 3-way (with a designer) or 4-way (with a publisher).

P.S. Not talking about you ripping it off Candy I'm just too tired to type a whole lot right now
If you have "an idea", a programmer most likely wouldn't split it with you. My friends and family give me plenty of ideas. Programming is fun, but is hard to learn. Again, you can't get paid half share for "an idea". That said, I encourage you to get a mac and make it yourself!! I am not trying to be mean, I an just stating the facts. Good luck!
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Cheapest Mac: Mac Mini.

Cheapest SOURCES of Macs (you can do better than $599):
Education discount (if you're a student or school employee)
Apple Refurbished (have full warranty--see bottom-left of Apple store page)
Amazon.com

Or you could go the used route WITHOUT warranty and look on eBay, if you're feeling adventurous.

Just be sure you get a Mac with an Intel processor and Leopard, aka OS X 10.5 (all recent Macs are fine--some older used ones are not).

Also, some additional savings: if you have a PC now and expect to require Windows in future, you might be able to sell the PC and then buy a copy of Windows (if you don't already have one) to put on the Mac. Macs are also Windows PCs--they just don't come with Windows pre-installed.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Put a post on oDesk.com to hire a programmer. If it is really, really small (basically does nothing) and you have all the graphics and sounds it needs (if any) then you could get it done for a few hundred.

+ mac mini for $600 (if you already have a keyboard, mouse & monitor)
+ $99 to join as an Apple Developer
+ $250-1000 if you need any artwork or graphics done

To share revenue it needs to be the best idea ever that nobody has ever thought of before. If it is kinda like program X but with a little of Y thrown in, forget it.
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
@Adams Immersive: Thanks for the tip on the refurbished section of the store. I had never noticed that before. Unfortunately, they don't have any Mac minis right now, and their cheapest refurbished is $850 bucks. I imagine that's something you'd have to check on a regular basis, though.

@jaemcsd: Will a standard PC VGA monitor plug work with a Mac mini? I've been considering getting into this game myself, and I could probably swing the bare-bones Mac mini, but if I have to start adding in things like keyboard, mouse and monitor it's probably going to run me too much.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The new Mini that came out last week (with Nvidia video card) will need a VGA adaptor for $20. I would get the new one if you want to make or play games.

The 'old' one with the Intel video card comes with it already.

Apple is selling the old ones on clearance: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ce?mco=MTE3Njg

Any usb keyboard/mouse should work fine.

Last edited by jaemcsd; 03-09-2009 at 01:43 PM.