★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "What guy hasn't dreamed of donning purple skin and a red beard and entering the arena as a gladiator?"

-- Jayisgames.com on Swords and Sandals

Arise Gladiator!

Released from your chains in a cell you gallantly step into the arena where you must fight for your life.

If it is your destiny you will survive the brutal coliseums and gain riches and glory beyond all your dreams.

Swords & Sandals is a gladiatorial RPG in which you train and battle against hordes of challenging fighters. As your gladiator competes in various duels and tournaments, you are rewarded with gold and experience.

You will need to train and arm your gladiator wisely, for soon you will be fighting the greatest warriors in the world. With a wealth of weapons, magic, armor and skill the fate of your gladiator rests in your mighty hands.

Swords and Sandals features:
Hundreds of different weapons and armor pieces.
Learn wondrous magic to utilize spells and potions
Enchant weapons and armor to grow in power
Four shops to buy items to strengthen your gladiator
18 tournaments featuring elite Arena Champions to challenge
Fight gladiators in six different arenas
Powerful attacks including a classic Battle Rage and an awesomely inventive Psyche Up.
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Instant buy. I used to love S&S 2 the flash game. Looks like they've redesigned the graphics but otherwise the same game.
When it says recommended on 3rd gen I hope that means it's still playable on 2nd, just a bit slower :S?

I kind of love the Arctic Monkeys
OF, GC:MrLambChopz
Hit me up with some SQH HC requests

09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLambChopz View Post
Instant buy. I used to love S&S 2 the flash game. Looks like they've redesigned the graphics but otherwise the same game.
When it says recommended on 3rd gen I hope that means it's still playable on 2nd, just a bit slower :S?
Tried the flash game -- really fun. Will definitely pick up the iPhone version.
09-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Is fighting turn-based or hack'n'slash?
09-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Turn-based, judging from the flash game.

I just tried the flash version of the original game, and it was surprisingly hard, as you can't choose which opponent to fight next, and if you lose one battle it's game over. Is that different in this version? The description said something about saving...

My games of 2010: Tilt to Live, Phoenix, Carcassonne, Sword & Poker 1/2, Space Miner, Mushihimesama Bug Panic
Honorable mention: Soloman's Boneyard, Game Dev Story, Tunnel Shoot, Warblade, DoDonPachi Revolution, Kalevala
09-10-2010, 03:49 AM
They only included saving in the full version of the game, which you had to buy. So yes you can save, and the demo is exactly the same as the full version just without the saving.

I kind of love the Arctic Monkeys
OF, GC:MrLambChopz
Hit me up with some SQH HC requests
09-10-2010, 04:14 AM
looks good... any impressions on the iphone version?
09-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Unless I am missing something, I am caught in a circle. I am level 8, I have no money. The only option to get money is arena, The only option in arena now is to the death. I am too weak to beat the oponents, I have no money to better my equipment to beat them.

I load game
I fail
I load game
I fail

There is no where to go duel for more cash that I can find, if there is someone let me know please.

(oh and frame rates are kinda choppy on my iTouch 3G)
09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerlump View Post
Unless I am missing something, I am caught in a circle. I am level 8, I have no money. The only option to get money is arena, The only option in arena now is to the death. I am too weak to beat the oponents, I have no money to better my equipment to beat them.

I load game
I fail
I load game
I fail

There is no where to go duel for more cash that I can find, if there is someone let me know please.

(oh and frame rates are kinda choppy on my iTouch 3G)
Yeah, there's something odd about the balancing on this version -- the Flash one seemed easier.

Framerate on an iPhone 4 is fine, BTW.
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
yes, I got it too and I think it is not well balanced... I never played the flash version before but just tried and I found it way less challenging than than the iPhone version...

At the moment, I would not recommend it