★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Liquid defense is a unique 3D puzzle game where you must eliminate all of the incoming water, gas and oil. Each levels is carefully designed to require innovative solutions while managing limited resources. Build and manage 20+ structures to eliminate, redirect, freeze, hold, and teleport the liquid away from various hazards. Each structure can be upgraded to increase performance and barrier strength. 28 levels will keep you occupied for hours, with each one slightly more difficult than the last. Once completed, replay the game trying to find each of the several possible strategies to each level.

Features include -
3D Graphics with simple 2D gameplay
Realistic Chipmunk physics engine
Actively developed, constant free updates

nuclearnova's comments:
Liquid Defense is now available for the iPad. This is a port of the Mac version I wrote two years ago, for about 60 hours of work it was definitely worth throwing on the iPad. I think the iPhone screen is too small to really play the game, so I didn't bother making a universal version.

Feedback is welcome.

iTunes Link : http://click.💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩.com/fs-bin/...partnerId%3D30

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Looks interesting...what is the object of the game?
Also, there is a section specifically for iPad games, which is where this will hopefully be moved by a moderator.
(I wanted to mention this before someone jumps all over you in a not-so-nice way for posting in the wrong section...)

09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
Looks interesting...what is the object of the game?
Also, there is a section specifically for iPad games, which is where this will hopefully be moved by a moderator.
(I wanted to mention this before someone jumps all over you in a not-so-nice way for posting in the wrong section...)
The object is to remove all of the incoming liquids (water, gas, oil) with various buildings (heating plates, flame throwers, lasers, ect). It's a pretty unique puzzle game, some might compare it to Enigmo or some levels of it to a tower defense game, but I think it is a quite a bit different.

Thanks for the move, I didn't realize there was an iPad specific forum now (though I should of!)
09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
This looks quite cool. I'l have to add it to my wish list.
09-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnova View Post
The object is to remove all of the incoming liquids (water, gas, oil) with various buildings (heating plates, flame throwers, lasers, ect). It's a pretty unique puzzle game, some might compare it to Enigmo or some levels of it to a tower defense game, but I think it is a quite a bit different.

Thanks for the move, I didn't realize there was an iPad specific forum now (though I should of!)
I tried the demo, it would be more cool have it on iPad too, this allow check how the controls has been adapted.

Some points not fully positive, after to have play the demo:
  • The demo is cool but is only the tutorial, so at each level you get the full hints on how solve the level. This give an idea of the game but not really what the gameplay will be.
  • It makes me wonder how difficult it will be with no hints. There's a lot of tools, probably only some are available in each level but it seems complicate.
  • The graphics aren't the heart of gameplay but they can be a very nice addition when they are good. Here the aesthetic and graphics are... I'm tempted to say ugly, well usually game looks more cute on iPad than on a large computer screen.
  • The demo let see the levels to unlock and the number of levels seem a bit low, only 20 levels after the tutorial.
Now some positive points from demo play:
  • The flow mechanism is a very good point that few or no physic puzzle game has, the big plus is to clearly show trajectories.
  • It's definitely like an original tower defense and if levels solution are as hard to find than in some TD, then 20 levels won't be that low.
  • The number of tools available could make harder find some solution (don't know yet, the demo isn't enough to let know) but it's cool to allow more diversified levels design, I hope the full version shows this.
  • There's ton of Puzzle Physic games and Tower Defense, but this one is rather unique, that's a very good point because I'm more and more tedious about clones (well except when they refresh enough a game genre).
  • Price is very subjective, but from my feeling it worth it, despite the graphics.

I don't see why an iphone version isn't possible, it's not that I care but with smaller scale, some scrolling and adapted controls with a touch auto magnify glass system, a popup menu for tool selection and a full-screen mode to see the running, I bet it could work very well, just my 2 cents.

With really great and cute graphics this game could kick, as it is it will probably only attract hardcore fans of Puzzles Physic Games and perhaps some curious Tower Defense fans. Again just my 2 cents.

For me I added it in my wishlist to be sure to not forget, but I'm finishing cleaning my iPad and this will be my next buy.

Last edited by Qordobo; 09-12-2010 at 07:11 AM.
09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
I tried the demo, it would be more cool have it on iPad too, this allow check how the controls has been adapted.

Some points not fully positive, after to have play the demo:
  • The demo is cool but is only the tutorial, so at each level you get the full hints on how solve the level. This give an idea of the game but not really what the gameplay will be.
  • It makes me wonder how difficult it will be with no hints. There's a lot of tools, probably only some are available in each level but it seems complicate.
  • The graphics aren't the heart of gameplay but they can be a very nice addition when they are good. Here the aesthetic and graphics are... I'm tempted to say ugly, well usually game looks more cute on iPad than on a large computer screen.
  • The demo let see the levels to unlock and the number of levels seem a bit low, only 20 levels after the tutorial.
Now some positive points from demo play:
  • The flow mechanism is a very good point that few or no physic puzzle game has, the big plus is to clearly show trajectories.
  • It's definitely like an original tower defense and if levels solution are as hard to find than in some TD, then 20 levels won't be that low.
  • The number of tools available could make harder find some solution (don't know yet, the demo isn't enough to let know) but it's cool to allow more diversified levels design, I hope the full version shows this.
  • There's ton of Puzzle Physic games and Tower Defense, but this one is rather unique, that's a very good point because I'm more and more tedious about clones (well except when they refresh enough a game genre).
  • Price is very subjective, but from my feeling it worth it, despite the graphics.

I don't see why an iphone version isn't possible, it's not that I care but with smaller scale, some scrolling and adapted controls with a touch auto magnify glass system, a popup menu for tool selection and a full-screen mode to see the running, I bet it could work very well, just my 2 cents.

With really great and cute graphics this game could kick, as it is it will probably only attract hardcore fans of Puzzles Physic Games and perhaps some curious Tower Defense fans. Again just my 2 cents.

For me I added it in my wishlist to be sure to not forget, but I'm finishing cleaning my iPad and this will be my next buy.
Thanks for the review Qordobo! Lots of good information/suggestions there.

I'm considering adding one or two standard levels to the mac demo, because you're right, the hints don't really allow the user to experience the main part of the game. 20 levels may seam low, but all of the levels require trial and error, and usually require some special thinking to complete. I made the demo levels easy after watching people struggle to learn how to play the game. People tend to either give up quickly if the game isn't for them, or get really addicted to it.

The graphics could use some work. It's pretty obvious that the game has "programmer art". Good news is some of my future games are going to have a part-time artist!

I'm considering adding a Lite version for the iPad, but I have another new game in progress now that requires my attention. Maybe an iPhone port would work, though it would require some UI changes and may not run well on anything below and iPhone 4. Definitely going to look into this sometime soon, I'd love to have a universal app.
09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks to your code, I got to try this game! The core physics puzzles presented are excellent, although the overall game is lacking in polish. Aside from the graphics, the game controls and menu system could use some improvement. It can be hard to position items accurately (because it might look ok at first, but turn out not to be), and once placed, an item can only be rotated not shifted. Perhaps a zoom function will help make it easier to see exactly how an item should be positioned. The other thing I would really like is a fast-forward button.

Best App Site: FreeMyApps - Redeem paid apps for free on your iOS device!
09-12-2010, 11:16 AM
@cloudcastles

I totally agree - it's a really cool game, but I'm desperate for a zoom function of some kind. The physics seem to be spot on. It's a lot of fun to play, and I'm headed out to iTunes to give it a good review. Thank you!
09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, a shift building button after placement sounds like a good idea, and I actually have zoom functionality in my other game, Rocket Golf, which uses the same graphics code as Liquid Defense. Looking forward to getting 1.01 out!
09-19-2010, 04:14 AM
So I bought this iPad version and I have to say that it's been a disappointment in comparison with the Mac demo I played.

Yes a zoom system to place objects is required. But what was also very unpleasant was that full panel of commands that follow the item you drag, it makes the gameplay awful for me (that and a lack of a zoom system).

When I played the Mac demo ie the tutorial, there wasn't this and I didn't even noticed you could do such complicate objects manipulation and achieved the tutorial without to do any.

The result is I played only a little part of the iPad tutorial and gave up when I finished it in one session in Mac version. And now I played a little the iPad version I understand why you didn't tried do an iphone version.