★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are there any hardcore games for iphone 4?

09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Are there any hardcore games for iphone 4?

Hi there, im just wondering if there are any rpg“s or hack&slay with hardcore modes. I mean something similar to diablo hardcore, where you only have one life and if you die than its game over.

i have both Solomons games and i LOVE em, solomons keep is nice but you can just continoue after you die . I want something similar but only one life.

i also love the dual stick concept, are there any good games with dual stick (one for shot direction, other to move), like Solomons.

thx in advance

Last edited by Darkreaver1980; 09-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
There are some excellent roguelikes for iOS.

Rogue Touch
100 Rogues
Cavern
iNethack
Slash 'Em

and Sword of Fargoal (although some bristle when this is referred to as a roguelike. Still, you can play with one life/permadeath).

And there are also plenty of great dual-stick shooters like Meteor Blitz and Isotope.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the answer.

Which rogue game should i get? i heard sword of fargoal is pretty good. I never played Rogue or any clone so i dont know how it plays. seems like diablo just a bit more streamlined

Last edited by Darkreaver1980; 09-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Have a look at the Battle for Wesnoth too, pretty hardcore.
09-12-2010, 01:28 PM
sounds like you want a "rogue-like" and didnt even know it 100 rogues is a good jumping off point if this is in fact your first.
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkreaver1980 View Post
Thanks for the answer.

Which rogue game should i get? i heard sword of fargoal is pretty good. I never played Rogue or any clone so i dont know how it plays. seems like diablo just a bit more streamlined
Definitely not like Diablo. If you're looking for something similar to that check out Dungeon Hunter, Zenonia 2, Rimelands.
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Here's a previous thread on the best dual stick shooters:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...highlight=twin

Minigore and Meteor Blitz have especially smooth controls.
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkreaver1980 View Post
Thanks for the answer.

They're not too much like Diablo, but rather more tactical in nature.

The first of the roguelikes is Rogue, and likewise the first of the iPhone roguelikes, and also my favorite, is Rogue Touch. It's probably my favorite game for iOS, followed by Battle for Wesnoth which Avigrace mentioned. So I'd recommend starting with Rogue Touch. However, the game is extremely retro, so if you want something more updated then you can start with 100 Rogues, which unlike the others I mentioned has animated characters.

iNethack and Slash 'Em are both free, but I have to warn you, these are the most hardcore of all the hardcore games. You could play each of them for an hour and die 50 times (each time in a different way ) But anyway, that's what you came here looking for right, the most hardcore of the hardcore games?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
this isn't really a "hardcore" game, or a rouge-like, but The Quest is a great rpg with tons of gameplay. you could play the game without saving, so once you die, its game over.

Waiting For: RAGE
Currently Playing: The Quest Gold, Tilt to Live, GraalOnline, R-Type
Plus+ ID: br4ndon
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Ah, I almost forgot, there is a very similar game to the Solomon's games, Catacombs. It's more fast-paced though, and plays like a Gauntlet type game with dual stick controls.