Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Default Why do people hate games that require Internet connection?

Why do we hesitate to purchase game like MC5, and others
Old 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by madreviewer View Post
Why do we hesitate to purchase game like MC5, and others
Its limited when you play as if your on a wifi only device you have to be in a wifi area, if you have a mobile data plan it's easy to go over the usage allowance and get extra charges.

It wouldn't put me off buying a title that was online only, I'd just buy it knowing I'll only be able to play at home with my wifi connection, I have a mobile data plan but it would easily get eaten up.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

If it's an iPad game then I'll most likely only be able to play it at home. Public places typically have weak WiFi here, so loading times would take forever. If it's an iPhone game I could use my mobile data outside, but that + the game would make the phone's battery run out even faster.

I'm not totally opposed to internet games, but I'd rather play offline games because it's much less of a hassle. I can just pick my device up and play.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Your answer is right in your question. They require an internet connection. So if you are somewhere without wifi, you cannot access the game.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Beyond all the practical issues with data plan overages and difficulty playing on wifi-only devices, it goes deeper than that:

Developers of single player games that require an internet connection treat their customers like criminals. It's disrespectful to the people giving them their money and attention, plain and simple.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Because so many games/apps require an internet connection, it's one of the main reasons I tend to only buy universal apps - so that I will be able to access them on my phone when I'm not using my iPad at home on wifi.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Because not everyone can afford a good connection. Sometimes regions are not well served. In some countries internet providers suck. When there's a lag, disruptance etc you can lose your gameplay...Need more?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post
Beyond all the practical issues with data plan overages and difficulty playing on wifi-only devices, it goes deeper than that:

Developers of single player games that require an internet connection treat their customers like criminals. It's disrespectful to the people giving them their money and attention, plain and simple.
Can you blame them though? I mean, the recent Modern Combat piracy drama just goes to show you that you can't even trust the most excited members of your fan base to not steal everything you release without some kind of remote kill switch.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Can you blame them though? I mean, the recent Modern Combat piracy drama just goes to show you that you can't even trust the most excited members of your fan base to not steal everything you release without some kind of remote kill switch.
Honestly, yeah I can.

Like many forms of DRM, it's a pain in the arse for the honest people, but will no doubt be quickly circumvented by the hackers (who I think quite enjoy the challenge of DRM) so it winds up punishing the wrong people.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
One thing for sure has aMMC4 player I never really met hackers. And the hacker problem can be fix by the community.
For example if you know a hacker you shouldn't play with him or against him. Isolate the hacker so he will have one choice: play by the rules.