★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Thoughts on the future of Game Center, Open Feint, Plus and Gameloft Live.

09-13-2010, 12:18 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Thoughts on the future of Game Center, Open Feint, Plus and Gameloft Live.

What do you think of these online community services? Will one float to the top as an overwhelming favourite like XBL, or will all hang around in a fragmented yet long lasting Appstore community?
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
What do you think of these online community services? Will one float to the top as an overwhelming favourite like XBL, or will all hang around in a fragmented yet long lasting Appstore community?
I think eventually gamecenter will take over.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog

09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
One place makes the most sense. In GameCenter, I actually look over the statistics for once.
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I thought XBL wasnīt a choice for Xbox users?

Anyway, I donīt know if the non-GC services have to be paid/ licensed by the developer or something. If so they will die quickly.

Other than that I think GC has some more way to go before it can become BIG, which it undoubtedly will.

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
My only issue is that the extremely casual and often times over-simplistic nature of many AppStore games renders meaningless any sense of accomplishment that might otherwise be derived from a person's overall Game Center gamerscore. The notion of Gamer Center achievements feel hallow. As such, I don't have any and don't even care.

Gameloft Live is the only current service in which I even remotely respect the validity of it's achievement point system.
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
I'm not sure how achievements work though. I didn't see any restrictions on how many achievements can be put in a game. Could a developer make a game, put in 100 ridiculously easy achievements, and artificially boost their Game Center standing?

From the way I understand the PlayStation Network, a game has to be purchased to have achievement. Plus, cheaper games have less achievements. Can a free iOS game have a achievements? If so, how does that give the system any integrity? I could make an Easy Achievements app.

Press the button to get an achievement.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
I just don't see why Gamecenter doesn't show your Achievement point total.
These games give you a selection of achievements up to 1000 points, but the points go nowhere until you can see a total across all games...