★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Across Age: Bumping thread with fake accounts

09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Across Age: Bumping thread with fake accounts

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=44701

1. This thread is full of shilling. If you notice, most of the posters are junior members who post only in Across Age thread.

2. The dev keeps bumping the thread either from those accounts in many staged ways. It's especially obvious in the last several posts. The users are so fake and some never posted in any other thread even after being a member for several months. They posted once or twice in Across Age thread to bump it then disappeared.

I remember Touch Arcade was quite anti-shilling and bumping, you guys even banned a dev for shilling, so can you please warn the developer because it's getting annoying?

Thanks!

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Everytime Crimson Gem Saga or Chaos Rings thread gets to first page because genuine users post something, like a tips or updates, the Across Age thread always gets bumped by fake posters.

I mean, seriously, look at their last few pages. All of the posters there are new with less than 5 posts. All of them only ever posted on Across Age thread even after joining TA for several months, that's just so obvious! Worse, the accounts are no longer used once they post a few questions. Talk about wasting accounts!

It's pathetic. And why do TA admins don't care that the devs are breaking 2 rules at the same time? (bumping thread for the sake of bumping thread and fake / shill accounts).

09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Somebody had already pointed this out before(don't remember who) and it seems the mods sided with the developer.

Of course I'm not saying I have any concrete proof that the dev. is shilling, just pointing out what happened before.

I'd hate to think that he is, since Across Age is my favorite RPG for the iPod at the moment and also I don't see why he would bump his own thread. I mean does it really help sales in any way?
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes, because visibility can turn into sales. It's a cheap way to get noticed without resorting to sale or updates.

Maybe the devs are using certain method so their IP address always appears different in the many accounts they use, thus looking like those are different users, but anyone with a pair of eyes AND brain could see that clearly.

You can ask 10 people and 9 will know the thread is full of fake accounts (or fake questions at the very least). And probably all 9 of them don't care about the game, so..

The devs become as annoying as a kid who desperately wants attention yelling 'Hey, look at me!! Look at mee!!!'

09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
You can also ignore the thread. Just sayin'...
Moderators are retarded monkeys by definition. If we ignored rule breaking and stopped backseat moderating, they would be completely lost
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
So you're saying it's fine if all devs start bumping their threads everyday with shill accounts and fake questions?

Or are you saying it's fine for everyone to ignore the rules altogether?

09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
I appreciate your illiteracy. If you had actually read the posts in this thread, you'd understand why this is a problem.

Thanks for adding nothing of value.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I would hate for this to be true because I love the dev of Across Age and would think they have better things to do with their time then create fake accounts and come up with questions and conundrums.

Can I offer an alternate explanation? If you do a search for Across Age Help or Walkthrough on the internet the first couple of results you get are for that thread. Even GameFaqs does not have a walkthrough on their site. So if you are playing the game, are stuck and need help, you go to the internet for help. If this is what you get - chances are if you are desperate enough you will make an account to ask your question.

So before we jump to the negative conclusion (which I believe the mods and admins rightly have not done) shouldn't we think of some other plausible explanation?

Add: I also was just thinking that the last few pages are full of new accounts because most people on TA have finished the game and if this is the only resource for Across Age players and they have not been to TA before of course they will be the ones posting. I think its thinking too hard about something that doesn't need to be thought about. I understand your fear and if it was for anything but a deep RPG that you CAN run into a lot of places to get stuck then I would agree with you but given the nature of the game, I think that is a consequence.

Last edited by New England Gamer; 09-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
So before we jump to the negative conclusion (which I believe the mods and admins rightly have not done) shouldn't we think of some other plausible explanation?

Fake accounts or not, it's obvious people are having trouble in that game being trapped in dungeon 1 ect. ect. supposedly for days, it needs a gamefaq walkthrough and be done with it. This and the Zelda connection need to die already, it's been beaten to death.

Last edited by Cilo; 09-13-2010 at 04:00 PM.
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I want to also add that all those threads by first time posters labeled "Across Age Help Needed!!!!!" (or some variant) that are posted in the wrong sections and everyone gets all pissy about get merged into the main Across Age thread so that also makes it looks like the thread gets bumped. It is the nature of the beast.