Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 AM
iPad

Default Beyond Ynth HD - by FDG (Currently FREE!)

iPhone Version Video

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

iPhone Version : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67089
Quote:
Embark on an epic adventure that will take you beyond anything you have ever experienced before!

✓ 1 year in the making!
✓ Tons of original ideas!
✓ Never-before-seen gameplay!

This is the story of Kribl, a little bug on a big journey to bring light back to the Kingdom of Kriblonia. Help him to successfully traverse unexplored terrifying territories and find all the light-giving Dazzly Diamonds that were stolen by the Four Dark Spiders of the Apocalypse!

Gameplay:
During your journey you'll face dry dusty deserts, virulent volcano valleys, dank dark foggy forests and icy mountain peaks with treacherous slippery slopes. Each of these territories brings its own surprises and you'll find yourself pushing boxes, climbing platforms, jumping, sliding, falling - in every imaginable situation. All these actions require visionary thinking as each level contains puzzling structures which need to be turned, moved and navigated in order to get through. Use your wits to escape scorching sunbeams, freezing weather conditions and dangerous lava pits. You have to see this game in motion to truly understand how amazing it is. Follow the link at the end of the description below to see the game in action.

Controls:
While you may think it's difficult to survive in Beyond Ynth, we can assure you that all you need to know is how to use 4 easily-reachable buttons on the screen. Worry not, there is no game over. You can retry each level as often as you want, and there are no consequences for doing so. Take your time and enjoy this highly-creative game.

Hear what people are saying about the game:
TouchArcade Users:
"pretty ingenious"; "Oh man yes!"; "Wow that looks genius."; "this is what other iphone apps need to look at."; "very very creative game! much love".

FEATURES:
++ Made for the iPad HD screen.
++ 80 levels with huge variety.
++ 15 hours of fun platform puzzling.
++ Original music and songs, recorded in a studio.
++ Voice acting.
++ Storybook with hand-drawn illustrations.
++ High-score lists and achievements.
++ Beautiful graphics and animations.
++ Super-smooth dimensional scrolling.
++ Realistic physics gameplay elements.
++ Tons of fun sound effects.
++ Official successor to the critically-acclaimed "Ynth".

If you're still uncertain about the game, please watch the exciting gameplay trailer. Please open up YouTube and search for Beyond Ynth or use this direct link:

http://tinyurl.com/beyondynth
iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beyond-ynth-hd/id386305093?mt=8

iPhone Version : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67089

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 09-15-2010 at 10:32 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Looks amazing.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Looks amazing.
Thanks, BazookaTime.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

So is this a universal app, since it seems to be coming out simultaneously on iphone and ipad?

Edit: Nevermind I see it isn't.

I have spent I'm not sure how much money on apps, and I simply refuse to buy separate ones for my iPHone and iPad unless there is some discernible difference. With Retina-display support in the iPhone version, scaling the graphics can't be that time and work intensive to require 40% extra cost over the iPhone version. From a feature set perspective:

iPad features:
++ Made for the iPad HD screen.
++ Voice acting.
++ Official successor to the critically-acclaimed "Ynth".

iPhone features:
++ iPhone 4 (Retina Display) support.
++ Voice acting.
++ Official successor to the critically-acclaimed "Ynth"

I'm not trying to be difficult FDC, but please explain the higher cost for the iPad version and why, if nothing else, this couldn't have been a higher-cost Universal app, so price the iPhone version as-is (but iPhone only) and make the higher cost iPad version Universal?

Other forum members are welcome to weigh in on their thoughts on this, but I'm only going to really care about FDC's take on it, since they are clearly far more clued in than many of the forum's "armchair quarterbacks" around here.

Last edited by jmelrose; 09-15-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelrose View Post
So is this a universal app, since it seems to be coming out simultaneously on iphone and ipad?
Nope, it's not a universal app. They're two separate apps: One app for iPod Touch and iPhone (all models, including retina display option on the new iPhone 4), and then another app for for the iPad.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I LOVED everything about the original Ynth -- the gameplay, the music (the dev of the original Ynth is a Swiss jazz musician), the graphics -- and would like to know what the relationship is between this game developed by FDG and that one.

Has this been a collaboration of some kind? (I see from the screen shots a very differently drawn Kribl and boxes...)

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulist View Post
I LOVED everything about the original Ynth -- the gameplay, the music (the dev of the original Ynth is a Swiss jazz musician), the graphics -- and would like to know what the relationship is between this game developed by FDG and that one.

Has this been a collaboration of some kind? (I see from the screen shots a very differently drawn Kribl and boxes...)

Thanks!
The new Ynth is definitely an evolution of the same game, and it is still developed by the same Swiss jazz musician: Adrian Pflugshaupt.
And you're not alone in LOVING the original Ynth. In fact, the guys at FDG and myself both loved it so much that we held Adrian down at knifepoint and forced him to make a sequel and to also let us be a part of it!
The result is a three-way collaboration with Adrian's awesome original game designs, evolved to the nth degree, my design skills, and FDG's years of game-publishing experience.
The original Ynth was a fantastic game, but the problem is, so very few people ever got to know about it. Now with all of us on board, and with FDG raving about this game from the rooftops, hopefully the whole world will soon know about Beyond Ynth!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Nope, it's not a universal app. They're two separate apps: One app for iPod Touch and iPhone (all models, including retina display option on the new iPhone 4), and then another app for for the iPad.
Thanks Brett, understood. My question remains (and I think you posted while I was editing), which is I can't understand the additional cost for this version, as the resolution of the retina-enabled game and the iPAd display are nearly the same. Piggybacking on that, as I said before I don'tunderstand why it couldn't have been a universal app.

Ultimately, I WILL buy this game, as it looks great and I want to support the Devs making such great stuff for the iOS but I can't understand the business side of supporting multiple devices and what goes into making something Universal or not universal, and additional cost, etc. However, I'm not going to purchase the same game twice for essentially the same experience on two seperate platforms and I can't understand why the iPad version couldn't be Universal and the cheaper, iPhone/iPod Touch version to exist as a cheaper but single-platform version.

I guess I also like that Blu-Rays come with Digital Copies so a portable version is available to the purchaser, where DVDs can be made portable more easily on their own. Ultimately, I'm going to have to decide if I am more likely to play this on my iPhone (which is always with me) or my iPad (which is more of a portable entertainment platform), and my guess is I'll go with the cheaper iPhone option. However, were the iPad option to offer both versions I'd gladly pay the extra money for the flexiblity having both platforms provides.

From someone who buys a LOT of games, and fully supports the devs who produce these, I wanted to share the perspective of someone who has no problem spending more than $0.99 on a game, but would also like to understand some of the cost issues that drive this growing business sector.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Thank you funambulist and jmelrose for your interest.
@jmelrose: not an easy decision but we chose to include the retina in the pocket-size edition. We want to prevent iPhone owner/upgrade confusion.
Ipad version: its not as easy as you think: The ipad has a higher resolution than iphone 4 but half the ram. It is a lot of additional work. The result: ultra silky smooth gameplay running at 60fps which is quite an achievement and you'll understand once you play it. It's just amazing. We take our job serious and put a lot of care into every single device optimization..which costs money
Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Fair enough, 777. Thanks.