★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Skies of Glory - rockets, bombs and viewpoints

09-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Skies of Glory - rockets, bombs and viewpoints

Bombs seem pretty useless. All missions have an air to air element and being armed with bombs makes you too weak at air to air. Is there any point using them at all?

Rockets seem OK in that they can be used for air to air, are longer range than machine guns and do more damage. But I seem unable to hit an aircraft with one unless it is heading directly away from me or directly towards me. Is there a trick to hitting a banking aircraft? I've had this happen to me a lot in multi-player games, so is there some trick to it?

What is the best viewpoint or combination of viewpoints to use? I find that the view where you are lined up with your opponent is good for evasion and getting roughly lined up, but it is hard to aim accurately. The behind plane view is good for getting lined up but it is easy to lose your opponent off-screen. I find the "look behind" thing a bit hard to use with all the other controls. Is it best to keep switching views? Or stick with one? Which one?

Is there any point at all shooting machine guns at long range? Or should I wait to get closer? How close?

How do you maximise your machine gun fire without the guns jamming?

How do you know how long to wait between firing a rocket and firing the next one?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by IcedChill; 09-15-2010 at 07:37 AM.
09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedChill View Post
Bombs seem pretty useless. All missions have an air to air element and being armed with bombs makes you too weak at air to air. Is there any point using them at all?

Rockets seem OK in that they can be used for air to air, are longer range than machine guns and do more damage. But I seem unable to hit an aircraft with one unless it is heading directly away from me or directly towards me. Is there a trick to hitting a banking aircraft? I've had this happen to me a lot in multi-player games, so is there some trick to it?

What is the best viewpoint or combination of viewpoints to use? I find that the view where you are lined up with your opponent is good for evasion and getting roughly lined up, but it is hard to aim accurately. The behind plane view is good for getting lined up but it is easy to lose your opponent off-screen. I find the "look behind" thing a bit hard to use with all the other controls. Is it best to keep switching views? Or stick with one? Which one?

Is there any point at all shooting machine guns at long range? Or should I wait to get closer? How close?

How do you maximise your machine gun fire without the guns jamming?

How do you know how long to wait between firing a rocket and firing the next one?

Thanks for any help!
You can use the rockets because it's fun... ind the DTB games rockets can be useful. There are some very good rocketeers in the skies, so don't say they are useless.

The aces mostly fly with the view where you can only see a crosshair in the middle. get used to the moving crosshair and you will see it will work better and better.

You have to train rocketing. circle and wait until you have a 1 second gap where you can hit another plane.. difficult. Needs lots of training. Sometimes the rocket or the bullet stream of another plane can give you a aiming help. But you have to be able to calculate distance and speed.

change between MG and cannon to prevent overheating them.

Waiting time between the rockets: 4 to 5 sec.

Come to this thread, if you want to discuss Skies of glory:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...7492&page=1278

or come to facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/skiesofglory

Former cadet instructor of the Sgarrista Air Brigade, call sign: [SAB]swiss, Atypical Beta Group,
games: Sky Gamblers Storm Raiders, Infinite Tanks, Autumn Dynasty
supports: Storm Raiders Fan Page, Official Infinite Tanks Fan Page
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito60 View Post
You can use the rockets because it's fun... ind the DTB games rockets can be useful. There are some very good rocketeers in the skies, so don't say they are useless.

The aces mostly fly with the view where you can only see a crosshair in the middle. get used to the moving crosshair and you will see it will work better and better.

You have to train rocketing. circle and wait until you have a 1 second gap where you can hit another plane.. difficult. Needs lots of training. Sometimes the rocket or the bullet stream of another plane can give you a aiming help. But you have to be able to calculate distance and speed.

change between MG and cannon to prevent overheating them.

Waiting time between the rockets: 4 to 5 sec.

Come to this thread, if you want to discuss Skies of glory:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...7492&page=1278

or come to facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/skiesofglory
So how do you switch to cannons? All I can find are MGs and rockets. Help!
05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
rockets are useless except for dtb. The default view, which is the view which you are behind the airplane, is the best. Do not just spray everywhere. If your guns are overheating, you are spraying too much. Aim your shots. Your guns will over heat when you attack a base. Make one pass (it should lower about half the health of the base), fly over, turn around and finish it off. In head ons, bullets will not hit the target until the sight turns red. However, you may begin firing before it turns red. Why? Let me explain. Bullets take time to reach the target. If you fire when it turns red, There is a time span between firing and bullets actually hitting. But if you fire slightly before, the bullets dont do any damage at first, but as soon as it turns red the enemy is already fllying into a stream of bullets. Hope this helps. -[XYZ] Araneus A.K.A. Loy Kho's iPad
05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Weevil, cannons are your secondary guns, The ones you fire with the LEFT firing button. They do a lot more damage then machineguns, your primary weapon, which fire with the RIGHT firing button. Cannons overheat faster.