★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

RPG/JPRG Favorite features

09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
RPG/JPRG Favorite features

Hello there everyone!

I'm hard at work on a new RPG with JRPG influences. It is sort of a crazy mix of influences from the Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Ultima Online, and World of Warcraft.

I've got a whole slew of ideas for my game, but I wanted to ask you all what you enjoy most in these sorts of games, what you find lacking, and just generally what you'd really like to see.

Any suggestion is fine, big or small.

FYI, my intention is to have a $0.99 game that has extremely frequent FREE content releases, as often as weekly, but a minimum of monthly.

I very sincerely appreciate any feedback you may have for me - you guys are THE experts on iPhone gaming!

-Verxion
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Things I like:

Paperdolling - i.e. your in-game character visually wears/wields their inventory.
"16-bit" pixel graphics/style is welcome.
I like walking controls more like 1000 Find Them All!
Good music always plays a large part in setting moods in RPGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Drelbs: I'm intending to do something along the lines of:

Items you find are placed in your paper doll, and -SOME- very special items change the look of your movable avatar. Since I'm a one man show, the time investment is pretty huge to have custom sprite animations for every in game item.

I've got some great sound effects and music plans already in place.

Not sure I understand about the walking bit - can you explain?
09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
lots of varying items. The one thing I love in all rpgs is the "that item" feeling. Like when you open a chest and find this awesome sword inside. Or find an amazing ring with cool effects. That kind of thing. As in you have lots to find and pick the best stuff for your character.

Im not sure if you are doing classes but if you are I like multiples. I know this is hard work but it really can be great for a game experiencing it with new moves, weapons, stat layout.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verxion View Post
Items you find are placed in your paper doll, and -SOME- very special items change the look of your movable avatar. Since I'm a one man show, the time investment is pretty huge to have custom sprite animations for every in game item.
Not everything has to be unique, but it's nice when at least if you're empty handed/sword/mace - major weapon types/armor types are visible.

Quote:
Not sure I understand about the walking bit - can you explain?
Download the lite version of the game and see what you think... (Of course this would only apply if your game is free-roaming. Mostly I hate d-pads on this platform.)

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
walsh06: I agree 100% on the "that item" feeling. That is actually something I really want to focus on in the game. For me, the items in games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Phantasy Star were very much secondary to the story. By contrast, for me, in World of Warcraft and Diablo1/2, the items were more of a focus than the story.

So yes, I'm trying to strive for a balance between allowing the player to get general items easily, and then also being able to get "those items" that are truly amazing for their character and that modify how the character looks.

drelbs: I grabbed the game just now, and I think I'm missing something on the movement. When I tap to move the character, he FREQUENTLY only looks in the direction I tap. A simple attempt to walk left and right in an open area has very mixed results - sometimes it walks left or right, sometimes it takes 2, 3, 4, or even FIVE taps before the character moves to the destination. When it works, it seems to work well - the character moves RAPIDLY to the destination. This is just unfortunately more the exception than the rule, at least for me.

Keeping my finger held down is by far the most reliable form of movement in the game. I like how the buttons disappear when the character is walking. It makes the screen VERY uncluttered - this is much like I am already working toward in my own game. I'm not this polished yet though in terms of path following around obstacles.

Thanks for the heads up!
09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Some ideas for an RPG..(my dream games...)

No wild, random enemy encounters. All fights should be story based, and almost act as a regular RPG's boss battles, where the enemy has a pattern that needs to be exploited, or requires a specific strategy. The game designer would have to create these all very carefully, and make sure the battles all scale up in difficulty properly. Of course there would be quite a lot of battles still(but the game wouldn't have nearly as many encounters as the average, three steps and a fight JRPGs), a dungeon might have three big fights for isntance.

Each battle would give you a level up automatically, no messy experience systems or grinding required. At level up you place your own points(str, const, dex etc) and choose your own skills on a skill tree, so players can play through the game differently multiple times.

Instead of grinding monsters for experience, you can grind for money by digging for gold in mine caves, and then buy new equipment in the town, which would make big changes to your characters stats and skills, and be a big form of customization.

Dungeons in the game, wouldn't have many fights, and instead would be more based on exploration, puzzles and traps.

I would also love the game to have old school 8bit or 16bit graphics. And let's be honest, you are probably a terrible writer, so don't attempt anything fancy(terrible). Go the Nintendo Zelda route and keep it simple, and just try to build a good atmosphere in the game, with music, setting, art design, and strong gameplay.

Best: Above, Squareball, forget-me-not, 1-bit ninja, Heroes of Kalevala, Mirror's Edge, Rat on a Skateboard, Final Freeway
09-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Discourage grinding and go kill 10 quests. Also very over the top battles are awesome, but I don't know if you are doing a different screen for the battle like Crimson Gem Saga/Final Fantasy or put the battles on the screen itself, like Zenonia.

And even if the story is horrible, if it is funny and translated properly I have more incentive to get unstuck from game.

Oh, and try something new, some bizarre idea that somehow someway but might not make it because it is too unique. Just if you've had an idea like that. Put it in, please! I hate playing the same RPG that's just reskinned if you know what I mean.

This is a forum dedicated to figure out what is the best way you can give Steve Jobs your money.
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Vinvy: I'll need to think about your suggestions a bit. On the surface, many of them don't really jive with my current plan. Not saying they are bad ideas AT ALL - just that I've got a vision for the plan so far and I'm trying to add to and supplement it with ideas from here.

For example, right now, my plan is to have random encounters. But I absolutely HATE when you get one every half second. I also absolutely HATE the semi traditional "MMO" concept where the monsters are just standing around waiting to be attacked. So my plan was to have random encounters that are sort of capped by area so that you can't have more than X encounters per Y units of time in area Z. Once you move to a new area, those counters reset. Then there would be modifiers like if you have next to no health left, there might be an increased chance of random encounters.

None of this is in stone, but this is how I'm looking at it for now.

As for your description of the leveling up process, my intention is to have a set of default choices that get made when you level up. So the player that doesn't like to micromanage just says "Cool" when they level up. The player that DOES like to micromanage can get more into the nitty gritty of things.

With respect to grinding, I'm working on a system that (if it works) allows for someone to be completely successful in playing through the story WITHOUT any grinding. And the player that wants to delve further into the game gets more story, more items, and they can do some grinding as well, but my intention is to make the "grinding" be spectacularly fun. On this side of things, the player would level up multiple levels per encounter if they are doing things right. Also, I'm working on there being a flat out cap on how much you can grind per "episode" so that it will hopefully never get to be boring even for the people with lots of time to spend on games.

The plan is 8bit/16bit graphics, and I'm teaching myself how to do it and quite happy with the results. I actually never got to play on consoles when I was a kid, so this has been a really cool part of my adult gaming experience.

fallenashes: I'm actually still working out how to do a quest system "right". I, like you, hate the "go kill 10" quests. Any ideas on a quest system that won't be boring, but also won't be difficult to program? I think this is critical because I want to be able to give frequent updates to my player base but I can't realistically do that if it takes me eons to add content...

PLAN on over the top battles! And yes, I intend to have a different screen for battles. I absolutely love that game dynamic, and that's what I intend to do. Know that it is critically important to me to make this as unintrusive to gaming as possible. I want the player to be able to choose from a casual, next to no interaction mode where they can basically choose if they want to fight or run, and a system where the player can micro manage if they want to. The "fight or run" casual approach will mean that the player needs to run from fights that the micro management player could "handily" win, but this won't prevent the casual player from completing the game.

I have what (to me anyway) is a crazy gameplay dynamic that should be extremely funny and off the wall. I'm very very hopeful that people will enjoy it. The plan is to have humor be a BIG part of the gameplay experience, that is very important to me. I'm a huge Disgaea fan, NOT because of the endless grinding you CAN do in the game if you want, but rather, because of the humor they put into it, including totally off the wall things that just make you laugh.

Ok, I'm gonna have to get back to things for a bit, but I'll stop by this thread later tonight to respond to any further posts people make.

THANK YOU ALL for your responses - this community is awesome for sharing information between fellow gamers and developers. I truly value that.
09-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Keeping my finger held down is by far the most reliable form of movement in the game. I like how the buttons disappear when the character is walking. It makes the screen VERY uncluttered - this is much like I am already working toward in my own game. I'm not this polished yet though in terms of path following around obstacles.
You have to hold to keep walking, you tap on things to interact with them.

Having the GUI disappear while moving is a nice touch, and lets you enjoy the scenery!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!