★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: K I O R K
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 16.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: Original d'ART version was featured as WHAT'S HOT in 83 countries already!!! US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, Australia ...

"The gameplay mechanism is very well-executed compare to many jigsaws. [..] Both dART Jigsaw HD and dART Bizarre HD are worthwhile buy for jigsaw fans." -- Artmic.com

"dART is nothing less than breathtaking. [..] I am not a puzzle person myself, but I could not put this game down" -- AppModo.com

"d'ART combines interesting paintings/drawings with a fantastic interface to make a great jigsaw puzzle game for your iPhone" -- iPhoneGamerBlog.com

d'ART Bizarre a wonderful & artistic jigsaw puzzle featuring hand-drawn artwork by Lukas Lukoeviius, selected specificly for d'ART Bizarre collection.

His unusual themes, contrasting collection of artwork which if not inspire, at least will brighten and color your day in some new tones!

Unlock new images, earn more stars and publish your best results on FACEBOOK and TWITTER, your friends will see a fragment of completed image so don't wait - show them what you're made from and dive right in!

Lukas works are rich in fatal psychodelic powerful mysterious colorful unusual abstract and a little bit bizarre paintings

1.1 Update is coming with a fix for Twitter support (it is broken in 1.0, because Twitter has changed API on their side). Due to popular demand support for selection of difficulty level will be added too!

Key FEATURES:

22 unique artistic paintings
Play in portrait or landscape
Win stars and activate new pictures!
Show unlocked images to your friends on Facebook
Very intuitive interface
Get monthly updates for free

Check out more Lukas artwork at: http://www.lukasluk.com/

His work is dedicated to peace, love, rock'n'roll and unforgettable Jigsaw experience! \M/
09-18-2010, 08:23 AM
thanks Epox, anyone would like a promo for this beauty ?

Last edited by KIORKgames; 09-18-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: mistype

09-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIORKgames View Post
I would love a promo!
09-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
I would love one!
Thanks
09-18-2010, 09:04 AM
please drop us a personal message who wants an HD promo for your iPAd!
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the Promo Code.

I played through the first 3 puzzles and have some impressions.

First and foremost - the art that you see is what you get, and it looks spectacular on the iPad.

The selection screen serves as the start up screen. You select a puzzle (2 are unlocked initially)

The puzzle solving mechanisms are unique to what I have seen and some may like and some may not:
- There are currently no options for the number of pieces that you would like the puzzle to be broken into. I am guessing about 40 pieces for the puzzles.
- The actual picture can been seen in the background as very dark greyscale so it kind of has built in hints.
- Pieces snap to position.
- The pieces are all in correct orientation from the start and no option to change orientation
- All the pieces are on the bottom and right side of the screen in miniature form. You can either choose the piece directly, or you can hold your finger and run it along the pieces and you can see the piece enlarged to the correct size, or you can touch a screen that takes you only the pieces being visible, touching one selects it, and brings you back to the puzzle.
- The picture when being solved is slightly bigger than the iPad, so moving back and forth, up and down is necessary - movement is very smooth.
- There are stars that show up in random areas - putting a piece in that spot when the star is there gives you a star up top and unlocks the next puzzle (solving the puzzle also unlocks the next puzzle). There is some competition built in to try and get low times, and all 3 stars.
- Solving the puzzle gives you a screen with your star rating, your time, and offers the ability to link to twitter or facebook (presumably with the scores - I did not try this feature)
One thing that I found disappointing (the most in fact) is that you can't look at the solved puzzle. As soon as the last piece is in place, the screen disappears to the score and then you are taken back to the selection screen. Choosing the same puzzle gives you the puzzle again. I think that you should be able to look at the solved puzzle as the art work is really phenomenal, and we don't get to enjoy it except while solving. Having an option to view completed puzzles, or re-do the puzzle would be nice.

Suggestions for improvements :
- options for number of pieces for each puzzle
- option to change orientation of the pieces
- option to turn the background "hint" picture on or off
- ability to view completed puzzle

Possible food for thought? - it is a little strange to go directly to the screen with puzzles rather than having a screen with the title, a "play" button - that would take you to the puzzle screens. A help button that explains briefly the mechanics of how the puzzle works, and if you incorporate options - how they work. If you like the suggestions above - an option button. And a credits button. But, I am totally westernized and indoctrinated, and that may not be the feel that you are looking for.

My bottom line - fantastic art, but people looking for the true jigsaw puzzle experience may find the experience to not be deep enough.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
dear Pluto6,

thanks for your time and great insights!
we'll try to pick it up from here..

p.s. I'm pretty sure that I'll look for you in the future..
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
dear Pluto6,

thanks for your time and great insights!
we'll try to pick it up from here..

p.s. I'm pretty sure that I'll look for you in the future..
I am happy to help. I would love to hear what other people what other think that have tried it out.

I also found out a few more things since doing another 4 puzzles -

- You can actually view the completed puzzle - just holding your finger on the board will make the time screen go away, and the completed puzzle can be seen - you can move it around. Although as soon as you take your finger off, the score screen comes back.

- Pressing and holding on individual puzzles that have been solved, or are available to be solved show fastest solve time (I think these are rigged as they are generally 12 -15 seconds) average solve time, and personal best solve time.

- Some of the puzzles have more pieces. I think that the last 2 I have done have around 60 pieces, so a bit more challenging - also more stars to try and collect..

I am still wishing it would be easy to see the completed puzzle, or perhaps the ability to see the actual picture and be able to pinch and zoom? It is just great art, and I want to be able to see it, and enjoy it...

As I am using the UI I am getting more used to it, and enjoying the mechanics. It always takes a bit of time to get used to something else, and I am liking the mechanics. The hold to magnify is really nice, and you can pretty quickly scroll through the pieces to select the ones you want.

Last edited by pluto6; 09-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.
09-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Pluto6, thanks for great analysis! Really happy to see that you paid so much attention to our game!

As you noticed difficulty is rising through out the game - from 36 to ~90 pieces. However many do complain that game is to easy at the beginning.
- Right now we're working on the option to select between easy, normal and hard levels of difficulty which will affect number of pieces per puzzle.
- We're contemplating about removing background hint image (but having visible borders of the puzzle) from the hard difficulty level altogether.

Fact that you can not see solved puzzle is disappointing indeed.
- Solution for the next update would be (essentially as you suggested) that if you select already completed puzzle, then you are presented with the full image and you have an option to restart the puzzle if you wish.
- When it comes to the score obstructing the puzzle upon completion, we're contemplating about making it less explicit or fade it out in say 3-5 seconds altogether. What would you say?

Why do you think it is strange to go straight to puzzle selection screen? I personally prefer games which bring me directly into the "action" as soon as possible especially if I want a quick session. But if it feels awkward, then sure we will change it!

One of the design decisions we're facing right now is where to place the difficulty buttons.
- Our immediate idea was to put 3 icons (easy/normal/hard) just on the left side of the puzzle selection screen and allow you to select difficulty at will before starting new puzzle.
- However we could do it in the way you described: adding a title screen with Play, Difficulty, Credits (and maybe HowTo) buttons. But then you would have to press Back button in the puzzle selection screen, if you'd wish to change difficulty. Which way would you prefer?

One more hint, don't know maybe you noticed it already, double tap brings all the pieces on screen too. You don't need to press a button in the top-right corner - it is slightly faster

Last edited by ReJ; 09-19-2010 at 05:39 AM.
09-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReJ View Post
Fact that you can not see solved puzzle is disappointing indeed.
- Solution for the next update would be (essentially as you suggested) that if you select already completed puzzle, then you are presented with the full image and you have an option to restart the puzzle if you wish.
- When it comes to the score obstructing the puzzle upon completion, we're contemplating about making it less explicit or fade it out in say 3-5 seconds altogether. What would you say?
I think the fade would work well, as long as you can still access your "scores" from the main puzzle screens. Others may have some better ideas. I just want to be able to look at the picture at some point.

Quote:
Why do you think it is strange to go straight to puzzle selection screen? I personally prefer games which bring me directly into the "action" as soon as possible especially if I want a quick session. But if it feels awkward, then sure we will change it!
Please don't change it just for me. I have no idea what the masses like, and that is why I put it as a food for thought question. I know that developers have reasons for doing everything they do, and sometimes I wonder why, but I know there is always a reason behind it. So, if it feels better to you, I don't mind it, it is just not typical to me - not wrong, just different.

Quote:
One of the design decisions we're facing right now is where to place the difficulty buttons.
- Our immediate idea was to put 3 icons (easy/normal/hard) just on the left side of the puzzle selection screen and allow you to select difficulty at will before starting new puzzle.
- However we could do it in the way you described: adding a title screen with Play, Difficulty, Credits (and maybe HowTo) buttons. But then you would have to press Back button in the puzzle selection screen, if you'd wish to change difficulty. Which way would you prefer?
I think that either way works well. A more typical style would have it on a menu screen - as most people probably work through things sequentially - all easy, all medium, all difficult. I don't know that people would generally do one puzzle on difficult, and the next on easy... I generally follow one difficulty until I want to either make it all easier, or all more difficult. I think it possibly also makes for a cleaner interface. Having to press the back button for a universal option change is generally expected. You could also have a small button on the actual puzzle screen that takes you to options, and that would allow people to change things "on the fly".

Quote:
One more hint, don't know maybe you noticed it already, double tap brings all the pieces on screen too. You don't need to press a button in the top-right corner - it is slightly faster
Thanks for that. I did not find it.

I also did notice that you have a very brief title screen that fades to the puzzles. I like the title screen.

I'm continuing to really enjoy all the pictures. Did I ask about possiblity to see the actual artwork without the puzzle lines? I don't know how you would incorporate that - also ability to zoom in? It is just really nice. Of course, any of those features need to be weighed on time / popularity / etc. You don't want to spend lots of time bringing features that no one else worries or cares about.