★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

START. Oh, wait... Where to begin?!

03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
START. Oh, wait... Where to begin?!

hi guys.
so...

i want to make my very own, very FIRST iphone/ipod touch app ever. maybe even game later. but i have to admit one thing... i never tried to make such a product. so i need your help. what do i have to do first? where to begin?

please help me. tell me everything i need to know. i really want to learn all this stuff. so don't write if you don't want to help.

oh, and one more time: PLEASE
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, so learning is difficult, but fun. Don't give up! The best place to start (after you have a 10.5 osx mac) is to go to www.schenkstudios.com/downloads.HTML here are freer tutorials!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
hi guys.
so...

i want to make my very own, very FIRST iphone/ipod touch app ever. maybe even game later. but i have to admit one thing... i never tried to make such a product. so i need your help. what do i have to do first? where to begin?

please help me. tell me everything i need to know. i really want to learn all this stuff. so don't write if you don't want to help.

oh, and one more time: PLEASE

03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
thank you!
i have 10.5 osc mac so that's one problem solved.
i have an iphone + ipod touch - so here is another one solved.

but tutorials on this website does not show the starting point....
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Search this subforum (iPhone and iPod Touch Developers) for the word "books", I think it will give you some threads about people who want to learn how to code and which books to get for that. (Don't ask me though, I can't code. )

Stefan
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
so i understand coding is the only way? there is no program that gives you solutions?
03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
List:
Need a mac (10.5 Os or higher)
SDK (If you want to sumbit apps you have to pay a 99$ dev fee)
Unity (for 3D games)
Knowlege of either one of these: C,objective C, C++,C# (possibly java,html,javascript)

Thats it.
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
so i understand coding is the only way? there is no program that gives you solutions?
To quote numerous other developers on Touch Arcade...

"There is no, make a game button"

Your best bet is to start learning how to code/program. I just posted a mini book that is free to download here.
03-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post
List:
Need a mac (10.5 Os or higher)
SDK (If you want to sumbit apps you have to pay a 99$ dev fee)
Unity (for 3D games)
Knowlege of either one of these: C,objective C, C++,C# (possibly java,html,javascript)

Thats it.
Unity cost hundreds of dollars, maybe try something free first? sio2 is a open source 3D game engine, export directly from blender and load up in xCode whit some few lines, and the best part: it's free, you just need to mention that you used sio2. sio2 is written in pure C, so if you want to make booth games and app whit GUI you have to learn objectiv-c

There is also a 3D engine where you can make games whiteout knowing coding, can't remember the name. It's not free.

Hope this helps a bit
03-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Maybe there are packages to make the development of games easier. But you might as well as buckle down and learn how to code. In the end, there is no substitute for it.

And, when the iPhone is no longer the platform everyone is talking about, you'll be able to move right on into the next thing, because your skills will transfer rather than being tied to one specific tool.

Developer of Petri. Available now on the iTunes Store.

These days I work with Tonchidot on Sekai Camera.
03-11-2009, 08:10 AM
ohh you could also learn openGL to make your own 3D engine.