★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Latest iTunes for windows, no more app downloads

09-13-2017, 03:52 AM
Latest iTunes for windows, no more app downloads

Just installed latest iTunes only to discover that apps, books, ringtones can only be downloaded to a portable device. Only handles music, films, TV shows and the like. Caught me by surprise. I have backed up all my apps in the last three weeks, just have to see if I can side load them, or I might as well delete them and recover several tens of gigabytes on my hard drive. Never knew this was happening ☹️☹️
09-13-2017, 08:59 AM
And as there are no more visible iOS apps accessible on iTunes on macOS, the click-to-buy buttons on TouchArcade no longer work. They bring you to a webpage, but do not open to the iOS app on iTunes.

09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
So if apps are removed from the store we lose them forever, unless we keep them on our devices?
09-13-2017, 10:09 AM
f**k, f**k, f**k
I just updated the OS on my Mac and now I can't access any of my apps on my hard disk. There's thousands!!!

What a load of sh*te!!

I've kept old devices to play through old beauties too.

Hopefully I'm missing something here but if this is how it is then I'm oot!
09-13-2017, 02:53 PM
oh, well, Apple Support tell me there's now no way I can access my old Apps from my Hard Drive - 7 years worth of stuff most if which isn't on the AppStore anymore. Och, well, it was all nice whilst it lasted but I think that's me done with any new stuff. Christ, I must've spent thousands on these games. Good times, though.
Laters, all - and great to see PSJ back on the forums.
Slam!!
09-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I haven't used iTunes for apps on my Mac for a while now, but this is dumb anyway. Hopefully they see the error of their ways and bring it back.
09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
oh, well, Apple Support tell me there's now no way I can access my old Apps from my Hard Drive - 7 years worth of stuff most if which isn't on the AppStore anymore. Och, well, it was all nice whilst it lasted but I think that's me done with any new stuff. Christ, I must've spent thousands on these games. Good times, though.
Slam!!
I have an older version off iTunes on another PC and that allows me to download my apps still. I've turned off the update check and set it not to ask again.
I have my library store on a portable drive so will download any newer apps on to that and will set my music to manual. Will see how that goes. APPLE WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD AND TURN US ALL INTO THEIR MINIONS. MUUUUHHHAAA

Last edited by eugenemcardle; 09-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.
09-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
Slam!!
I'm with you, slam. What bothers me is that there was no real warning that this update would completely remove the App Store/our apps from our computers, let alone a rationale for this decision. And how does one back up or restore one's phone without iTunes? Hope you're not checking out from the TA forums as well! I'm on here much less than in the past but it's always a treat to read your posts.
09-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
I'm with you, slam. What bothers me is that there was no real warning that this update would completely remove the App Store/our apps from our computers, let alone a rationale for this decision. And how does one back up or restore one's phone without iTunes? Hope you're not checking out from the TA forums as well! I'm on here much less than in the past but it's always a treat to read your posts.
ha - i'll still pop by but mebbes i'm just too old now. This morning I got excited as I could see in my updates that Dragon's Lair and Space Ace and Alone all got updates then I updated my OS - stupidly - and the rest is (no longer even) history.
Guy at apple asked if I had a time capsule. Told him if I had a time capsule I'd still be dancing in fields.
I know it's only games and it doesn't really matter but i was f**k of annoyed today.
still a good laugh though. Off to find my time capsule to take me right back to iOS4.
\o/
09-14-2017, 03:13 AM
Sorry for the obvious reply but why do people update itunes and stuff instantly ? Wait to see if something like this might happen specially with the 32 bit apps being culled.

It is frustrating as anything, still cant believe Apple have done this. You just know in x amount of years there'll be a 64 bit cull as they move to 128 bit !

I installed the ios 11 beta a few months back, i knew what i was getting into. Installed all my old 32 bit apps on my old ipad and the culling i had to do on my phone was depressing so i know what you're going through. I had 700 apps installed on my iphone so a lot of tears were shed Losing the Metal Slug games is frustrating, contacted them many times but never get a reply or anything. Those are the ones which hurt the most for me!

Then again its 'forced' me to play recent games as i have so many sat on my device unplayed which i know is ridiculous

Last edited by psj3809; 09-14-2017 at 03:17 AM.