★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

premium games going freemium

08-12-2016, 01:41 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 481
premium games going freemium

Say do you guys know any games that had an up front cost but than in a update it turned free?
Mind you I am not taking about a sale, I am taking about permanently free.
08-12-2016, 01:48 AM
#2
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tehran-Iran
Posts: 1,430
Since i don't get any Freemium game in my life so i don't know, i even can't touch Freemium games. Freemium games most are Android only.

PSN: italodancemp3
iOS MFi Controller: MOGA Ace Power
iDevice: iPhone 6S Plus , iPhone 5, iPad Pro 12.9' WIFI+Cellular 256 GB

08-12-2016, 02:15 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Bassano del Grappa
Posts: 681
He is talking about premium games turned freemium.
Impulse GP was premium, then it became 100% freemium and now it's a mixed bag (free with a sort of premium IAP but currency is there).
08-14-2016, 01:45 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Some of Gameloft's games were coverted to freemium. Modern Combat 5, Gangstar Vegas come to mind immediately. Galaxy on Fire 2 did as well I believe.
08-14-2016, 03:48 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdmoore View Post
Some of Gameloft's games were coverted to freemium. Modern Combat 5, Gangstar Vegas come to mind immediately. Galaxy on Fire 2 did as well I believe.
Yes,Gameloft did screw up with the freemium model,that is why Vivendi recently bought them.Btw Wasn't Gangstar Vegas alwasy F2P?I don't remember it ever having a premium price.
08-14-2016, 04:14 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,028
A couple I remember are Horizon Chase and Spell Sword. Thing is, The games are most likely deleted upon switching pay models, but these are two that remained solid for me.

I believe Impulse GP is now freemium, maybe the reason why i had deleted it.

These are the only ones i can remember, LOL.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-14-2016, 04:34 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhila View Post
Yes,Gameloft did screw up with the freemium model,that is why Vivendi recently bought them.Btw Wasn't Gangstar Vegas alwasy F2P?I don't remember it ever having a premium price.
Naw, I remember because it became freemium about half an hour after I bought it.

AND Swordigo!
08-14-2016, 04:46 AM
#8
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Bassano del Grappa
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
A couple I remember are Horizon Chase and Spell Sword.
Is really Horizon Chase turned to freemium?
Description says "Try it before you buy: enjoy 5 tracks for free!"
That isn't freemium in my opinion.
08-14-2016, 06:39 AM
#9
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoo View Post
Is really Horizon Chase turned to freemium?
Description says "Try it before you buy: enjoy 5 tracks for free!"
That isn't freemium in my opinion.
If you check the first post, the topic creator asked for games that had an upfront price that switched to zero.
08-14-2016, 07:08 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Bassano del Grappa
Posts: 681
Yep, but the title says "premium games going freemium"...
By the way it's not a huge problem.