★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

acidshaman thinks that Eli Hodapp thinks $10 is the maximum price point

09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
acidshaman thinks that Eli Hodapp thinks $10 is the maximum price point

If something better than Doodle Trash and Angry Birds DLC was on the app store; people would buy it..

Like if a 40+ hour rpg came out on the Epic Citadel Engine id easily pay the.. GASP... $40 psp price point;

Considering horrible PSP games sell for $40 a pop; and the online download is the same price as I hear it; saying games won't sell on the iPhone for over $10 makes no sense to me
09-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd say that only a game that came out as a universal app (for both iPad and iPhone) and included lots of content would be worthy of a price towards what most games on other platforms sell at.
EA brings out a lot of games that are fully in depth versions of the console games and they sell them at a reasonable price. So if they can cost a game at that price I'm sure everyone else can unless it's huge!

09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know... $40 seems high. It just seems that if you wait long enough, a price drop will hit. On Android, Pac Man was free. That spoiled the market for me. Why should I pay $6.99 for a retro game?

Then, once you start thinking along those lines, it quickly becomes, "Why should I pay for any mobile game?"

Gameloft is a prime example... they're a commercial game development company, but they were giving games away for FREE! When's the last time Nintendo was like, "Yo dude, Mario is like 25 years old, we're going to give you Super Mario Bros for free!"

On the consoles, game companies clutch to their content. They jack up the prices because there's hardware involved (carts / disks) and because it's a closed market. Independent developers have a much harder time competing in that market, especially when you have to worry about manufacturing and distributing games. Sure, there are digital downloads, but it's no where near the level of the iTunes store. There are like what... 5 Wiiware games a week?

Basically, I think game prices - industry wide - will fall. It's just easier to make game. Plus, Apple and Google are breaking down walls that protect prices. App stores are hurting mobile gaming and I'm thinking Google TV / Apple TV can start usurping traditional game consoles.

It's pretty much a no-brainer. You can get one $40 game or you can get 40 99¢ games. With so many games available, price isn't the only concern. Time becomes an issue. MMORPGs are worthless to me now... even though many are going free-to-play. I can't be bothered investing hundreds of hours into wack-a-rat gameplay. The iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch gets it right... the bulk of the games are quick and entertaining. They're casual. That brings gaming to a wider audience.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidshaman View Post
If something better than Doodle Trash and Angry Birds DLC was on the app store; people would buy it..

Like if a 40+ hour rpg came out on the Epic Citadel Engine id easily pay the.. GASP... $40 psp price point;

Considering horrible PSP games sell for $40 a pop; and the online download is the same price as I hear it; saying games won't sell on the iPhone for over $10 makes no sense to me
Because, however much you may detest, the PSP and DS are a) markets where games can cost $40 no questions answered, and b) are proper gaming consoles. Yes, the iPod is perfectly able to play games but with no physical buttons and the fact that, primarily, the iPod is a multimedia player and so not made for the sole reason of gaming, would not be good for gaming.

It's kind of ironic how the very reason that made the app store successful for games would mean that no long, fully fledged premium games would ever come out on this generation of hardware.

And before you assault me with responses, remember you're on an iPod/iPhone GAMING website, so yes you may pay $40 for a game yet the majority wouldn't, and yes, there are games like Chaos Rings that are big, and a few ports such as COD and GTA, but that's only a few proper games, on DS/PSP virtually all games are fully fleshed out.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah games like Time Crisis are a HORRIBLE value for $10. A game like Chaos Rings is a great value but that extra 2 dollars just feels like it's tacked on and makes you evaluate more and not impulse buy which is bad for them. GTA on iPhone is one of the best ports available at a great price point.

There are also plenty of great completely original iDevice titles that go for less than $5.

Developers are out of their mind if they think they can massage the market and push things up past $10. Square and EA are getting too snobby and ignoring that we're not stupid and know they are saving a TON of money on physical product overhead as well as Apple's very reasonable cut for use of the store.

PSP games are also overpriced but because they sell so well in Japan we keep getting good games and sadly way too many exclusives on the PSP that should have been on PS3 (like recently both Valk Chronicles 2 and 3, Phantasy Star Portable 2 (which should have just had a name change and went to console...PSU is old and lame), and KH: Birth By Sleep.

Last edited by Benegesserit; 09-16-2010 at 11:33 AM.
09-16-2010, 11:31 AM
what
09-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
but that's only a few proper games, on DS/PSP virtually all games are fully fleshed out.
You are on the pipe. Especially for the DS. You clearly have NO idea how much shovelware is out there, especially for handhelds. Sure, because developing these physical products is too costly for fart apps you won't see that garbage in a cart/disc handheld but you still see plenty of games that are so bad parents might consider them as a harsher alternative to being grounded.
09-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benegesserit View Post
You are on the pipe. Especially for the DS. You clearly have NO idea how much shovelware is out there, especially for handhelds. Sure, because developing these physical products is too costly for fart apps you won't see that garbage in a cart/disc handheld but you still see plenty of games that are so bad parents might consider them as a harsher alternative to being grounded.
Thats true. The same goes for PSP, but it's not quite as bad as the DS.
I've owned a fat PSP since it was first launched, 5 years ago and I've played plenty of shitty games that have left me feeling ripped off.

Hakuna Matata
09-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
What???
, Eli seems perplexed by this thread.

Don't worry Eli, I am sure that this thread was started with good intentions and no one is trying to take a cheap shot at you by saying that you are dead wrong.

I for one doubt that it will be over $9.99, but that still remains to be seen.

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been pretty consistent in saying that iPhone games need to be more expensive. I'm not sure where Acidshaman is getting this from.