★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Hedgewars, it's a Blast!

Description:
This is the funniest and most addictive game you'll ever play - hilarious fun that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime. Hedgewars is a turn based strategy game but the real buzz is from watching the devastation caused by those pesky hedgehogs with those fantastic weapons - sneaky little blighters with a bad attitude!

In other words Hedgewars is a turn based strategy, artillery, action and comedy game, featuring the antics of pink hedgehogs with attitude as they battle from the depths of hell to the depths of space.

As commander, it's your job to assemble your crack team of hedgehog soldiers and bring the war to your enemy.

Each player controls a team of several hedgehogs. During the course of the game, players take turns with one of their hedgehogs. They then use whatever tools and weapons are available to attack and kill the opponents' hedgehogs, thereby winning the game. Hedgehogs may move around the terrain in a variety of ways, normally by walking and jumping but also by using particular tools such as the "Rope" or "Parachute", to move to otherwise inaccessible areas. Each turn is time-limited to ensure that players do not hold up the game with excessive thinking or moving. A large variety of tools and weapons are available for players during the game: Grenade, Cluster Bomb, Bazooka, UFO, Shotgun, Desert Eagle, Fire Punch, Baseball Bat, Dynamite, Mine, Rope, Pneumatic pick, Parachute. Most weapons, when used, cause explosions that deform the terrain, removing circular chunks. The landscape is an island floating on a body of water, or a restricted cave with water at the bottom. A hedgehog dies when it enters the water (either by falling off the island, or through a hole in the bottom of it), it is thrown off either side of the arena or when its health is reduced, typically from contact with explosions, to zero (the damage dealt to the attacked hedgehog or hedgehogs after a player's or CPU turn is shown only when all movement on the battlefield has ceased).

* Hilarious and devastating turn based combat for up to 8 players
* Local multiplayer with optional AI opponents
* Battle on an infinite number of randomly generated maps with over 31 environments, or choose from 48 set image maps
* Utilise 55 (and counting) devastating weapons! Defeat your foes with simple weapons like Grenades or take it to the next level and trash entire landscapes with weapons like the Melon Bomb or Piano Strike
* Play the game your way, with 25 different game modifiers, tweak almost every aspect of the match
* Customize your team, with over 280 costumes, 32 graves, 13 forts, 100s of flags and unique voice packs
* Huge battles with up to 64 hogs

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Quote:
Hedgewars, it's a Blast!
This is the funniest and most addictive game you'll ever play - hilarious fun that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime. Hedgewars is a turn based strategy game but the real buzz is from watching the devastation caused by those pesky hedgehogs with those fantastic weapons - sneaky little blighters with a bad attitude!

In other words Hedgewars is a turn based strategy, artillery, action and comedy game, featuring the antics of pink hedgehogs with attitude as they battle from the depths of hell to the depths of space.

As commander, it's your job to assemble your crack team of hedgehog soldiers and bring the war to your enemy.

Each player controls a team of several hedgehogs. During the course of the game, players take turns with one of their hedgehogs. They then use whatever tools and weapons are available to attack and kill the opponents' hedgehogs, thereby winning the game. Hedgehogs may move around the terrain in a variety of ways, normally by walking and jumping but also by using particular tools such as the "Rope" or "Parachute", to move to otherwise inaccessible areas. Each turn is time-limited to ensure that players do not hold up the game with excessive thinking or moving. A large variety of tools and weapons are available for players during the game: Grenade, Cluster Bomb, Bazooka, UFO, Shotgun, Desert Eagle, Fire Punch, Baseball Bat, Dynamite, Mine, Rope, Pneumatic pick, Parachute. Most weapons, when used, cause explosions that deform the terrain, removing circular chunks. The landscape is an island floating on a body of water, or a restricted cave with water at the bottom. A hedgehog dies when it enters the water (either by falling off the island, or through a hole in the bottom of it), it is thrown off either side of the arena or when its health is reduced, typically from contact with explosions, to zero (the damage dealt to the attacked hedgehog or hedgehogs after a player's or CPU turn is shown only when all movement on the battlefield has ceased).

* Hilarious and devistating turn based combat for up to 6 players
* Both local and network multiplayer, with optional AI opponents
* Battle on an infinite number of randomly generated maps, with over 20 environments
* Utilise 47 (and counting) devistating weapons! Including the piano strike and explosive robotic cake
* Play the game your way, with 18 different game modifiers, tweak almost every aspect of the match
* Customize your team, with over 120 costumes, 30 graves, 12 forts, 100s of flags and unique voice packs
* Huge battles with up to 48 hogs

Quote:
What's New in Version 1.1
- iPad VGA Output
- automatic savestates
- new cocoa weapons menu
- support for mission maps
- lots of under the hood changes
- more careful memory handling and optimizations
09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow only $2, I thought this would be more.

09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
I love the PC version ... so this was a must buy for me ...

But this version is very buggy: It is almost not possible to save team player names in a new team ...

And even worse: If you press the "X" button for "jump forward" the game crashes directly!

I have an iPad 64 GB, German language setting ...

Sorry, but things like that must not happen ... where are the Beta tester?

Regards,
Sascha

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
I love the PC version ... so this was a must buy for me ...

But this version is very buggy: It is almost not possible to save team player names in a new team ...

And even worse: If you press the "X" button for "jump forward" the game crashes directly!

I have an iPad 64 GB, German language setting ...

Sorry, but things like that must not happen ... where are the Beta tester?

Regards,
Sascha
Hi there,

We did have a whole group of beta testers, and none of them experienced this issue. We will do some testing and we will be uploading constant bug fixes and new features.

It's sad to hear that you're having issues, I trust that you've restarted your device after install? I'll talk to some of the devs and see if we can find out what might be causing this for you.

One of the great things about this release, is that it uses the desktop versions code.. that means that the constant updates to the desktop version can be directly pushed to the ipad/iphone versions.

Anyone who has been part of the Hedgewars community for a while will know that we support Hedgewars constantly, we upload new weapons, new game modes, new features and new assets all the time. These will all come for free on the ipad version, along with bug fixes for any problems that might arise.
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
How does this compare to worms on the ipad? The controls? Thanks.

P.S. Sweet trailer, & I don't even care too much for classic rock!
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi,
I tried:

1. Restart the iPad.
2. Different Maps and settings.
3. Switch Language to English.
4. Second iPad (my wifes).

Nothing helpes: Pressing "X" and it crashes!!!

Regards,
Sascha

09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
PS: I use OS 3.22!

09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I just tested from scratch (downloaded the appstore version) on 4 different ipads in the office, non of them exhibit this crash. If you could join the "live chat" on hedgewars.org maybe we could help you troubleshoot this issue!
09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgewars View Post
I just tested from scratch (downloaded the appstore version) on 4 different ipads in the office, non of them exhibit this crash. If you could join the "live chat" on hedgewars.org maybe we could help you troubleshoot this issue!
I will erase and redownload it!

Do you use custom teams?

09-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I have a whole group of custom teams here, still no issue.
But if we can identify it, we can fix it for you so after your redownload, if it's still there, join us and have a chat!