★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: City Bucks, (free) two-player face to face game

09-16-2010, 10:10 PM
City Bucks, (free) two-player face to face game

I'm excited, my new game went live today... it's free, please have a look and let me know your feedback (and pls leave an app store review if you do like it). City Bucks is a strategic, fast-paced city building game for two players sitting across each other playing on a single iPad:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/city-bucks/id391079496?mt=8

A video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jLJtTBx2jsY

And maybe my dream will come true and TouchArcade will review it too.
For my other two-player efforts pls see VersusPad.com...
09-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Downloaded! I'll give it a try as soon as possible!
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
I'm excited, my new game went live today... it's free, please have a look and let me know your feedback
First of all, I think it's a great concept you have here.

And now for some feedback:

-the frame rate is extremely low, like 3 frames/sec. and it's really annoying to play it like that. I would love to see some smooth animation, like people walking instead of leaping. The same for dragging building on to the map and for the disasters.

-I really would love an AI when I don't have someone to play with.

-There should be more sound. Not just when you build something or something gets attacked. I would love to hear the people when it gets crowded.

-There should be a tutorial or something else that would give you an idea what the buildings do and how much money it brings in. Why does the park make money?

-I would like to be able to put people down on the map with flyer's or in a sandwich board to promote a building I opened were nobody seems to go.

Overall, The game just doesn't feel like it's ready, it feels more like a beta version to me. I really hope that you take some time to improve your new game, because it has a lot of potential.

All the best to you phillipp and your team.

Last edited by Remon; 09-17-2010 at 12:36 PM.
09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
First of all, I think it's a great concept you have here.
Thanks! And thanks for providing such detailed feedback.

Quote:
the frame rate is extremely low, like 3 frames/sec. and it's really annoying to play it like that. I would love to see some smooth animation, like people walking instead of leaping.
Yes, I would love to have the animations run smoother. On the development side, I've created this using the PhoneGap-JavaScript framework -- I'm a single programmer & graphic artist, no team -- and speed is one of the big downsides.

Quote:
I really would love an AI when I don't have someone to play with.
Fair point.

Quote:
There should be a tutorial or something else that would give you an idea what the buildings do and how much money it brings in. Why does the park make money?
At the moment, every visitor will make you money once they enter your location and roam in it. Admittedly, the park is a bit of an exception as one usually doesn't think of paying for entrance or roaming. Tip: Some buildings benefit from a lake-side position.

Quote:
I would like to be able to put people down on the map with flyer's or in a sandwich board to promote a building I opened were nobody seems to go.
Understand.

Quote:
Overall, The game just doesn't feel like it's ready, it feels more like a beta version to me. I really hope that you take some time to improve your new game, because it has a lot of potential.
I will look out for more feedback like yours to help me find things to improve. Thanks again!

Last edited by Philipp; 09-17-2010 at 08:08 PM.
09-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
Thanks! And thanks for providing such detailed feedback.
you're welcome. I'll keep a look out for any future updates of your game to give you additional feedback.

Good luck with your project Philipp.
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm happy to say iPad.net reviewed the game! They write:

"Fabulous ... City Bucks uses a simulation-style template to create a massively addictive two-player game for your iPad ... the gaming screen is awash with color and movement."