★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Don't quite understand The Quest: Gold

09-17-2010, 07:12 AM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,559
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Don't quite understand The Quest: Gold

So with the recent announcement of Undercroft going free I have a sudden urge to play some TB-RPGs. Preferably the Quest.

Although I own the Quest gold I don't exactly know how the system works.

What I mean is, there are what 3 expansion packs, tied into one game. Or something along those lines.

Does it go in order like:

- The Quest (original)
- Expansion 1
- Expansion 2
- etc, etc, etc

I don't want to play a game where the missions/quests intertwine and get all confusing.

Could someone please clarify?
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: English Roundabout
Posts: 890
as far as I know is the game runs kind of like the Elder Scrolls series in regards to expansion packs - you speak to a specific NPC somewhere on the island and they take you to the Expansion Pack area.

I am still on the original main quest - 6 months later, it is a very deep game and definitely worth the effort.

Check out my band HEAVY JACK - SOME FREE MUSIC FOR DOWNLOAD

How can you live on the banks of a river when the floodwater pours from the mouth?
- Paul Simon

09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Yeah, you speak to the captain in matras and he sends to a whole separate island, so just take your time completing the mian game and then move on to isles of fire and ice.
09-17-2010, 01:49 PM
#4
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,559
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Ugh so confusing.
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
Ugh so confusing.
How so? Just go to the port of matras and ask to be taken to the expansion packs anytime.

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
Ugh so confusing.
Just play the game and don't sweat it.

Talk to everybody in town before you leave, and don't take any boat rides until you've played a bit!

Explore - check your map and try to fill in gaps - you'll miss a lot if you just stay on the beaten path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
#7
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,375
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegend View Post
How so? Just go to the port of matras and ask to be taken to the expansion packs anytime.
I think he just wants to know what order they should be played in, especially since some of the packs are for higher level characters.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
I think he just wants to know what order they should be played in, especially since some of the packs are for higher level characters.
Then just wait until around level 20 and HOL 1 should be ok

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free
09-17-2010, 03:10 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,074
I beat the main storyline the Quest, but the gameplay itself feels like a constant, never-ending chore. No matter how much you grind, you will never be able to stop. It is a grind fest that literally never stops. Grind, make a little progress, grind some more, make a little progress, grind some more. Rinse and repeat endlessly.

Like I said, I put a good 30+ hours into this game before I reached the point where I had had enough.

If this had a leveling system similiar to Oblivion, where enemies get stronger as you get stronger, but are never by themselves unbeatable, The Quest would be a millions times better and way less tedious.

It was designed with the idea of being an hardcore, old-school RPG. I understand that. Either accept what it is at face value, or don't. At the end of the day, I guess I just didn't want to accept what it was, so I moved on.

But, If it was truly Oblivion-like, I might have purchased all of the expansions and I still might be playing it today.
09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
I beat the main storyline the Quest, but the gameplay itself feels like a constant, never-ending chore. No matter how much you grind, you will never be able to stop. It is a grind fest that literally never stops. Grind, make a little progress, grind some more, make a little progress, grind some more. Rinse and repeat endlessly.

Like I said, I put a good 30+ hours into this game before I reached the point where I had had enough.

If this had a leveling system similiar to Oblivion, where enemies get stronger as you get stronger, but are never by themselves unbeatable, The Quest would be a millions times better and way less tedious.

It was designed with the idea of being an hardcore, old-school RPG. I understand that. Either accept what it is at face value, or don't. At the end of the day, I guess I just didn't want to accept what it was, so I moved on.

But, If it was truly Oblivion-like, I might have purchased all of the expansions and I still might be playing it today.
Cursed Chess Set is more enjoyable.

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free