★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mysterious Lack of Mystery and Sports Titles

03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Mysterious Lack of Mystery and Sports Titles

I love my iPod Touch. I've bought probably 40 games or so, since the SDK dropped. (Hero of Sparta, Real Soccer, SlotZ, Word Fu, Sway, Orions, Edge, Rolando and Brain Challenge, enjoy them all).

But something is missing from my library of apps. A few game genres that I love are under developed and I cannot understand why.

1. Mysteries. You've got Jake Hunter. If you expand the definition, I guess you could include 1112, Alternate Endings, and soon-to-be released Hysteria. Out of 6000+ games, that's not much.

2. Sports (major). OK, so there are few more sports titles, but almost none in the major sports (lone exception is Real Soccer). College or Pro football, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. are missing. PocketSports Football seems like a nice attempt, but it has to be comparable to Real Soccer.

I cannot wrap my head around why. Any ideas? Any hope of seeing these in the not-too-distant future?
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Mystery - Hysteria Project outta do for you
Sports - That is true. Though Freeverse is making / finishing a baseball game.

Also how come there is TTR (which is like RockBand) but no karaoke app?!

03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
danny i cant imagine you and karaoke.
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Baseball Superstars, and Flick Baseball(unreleased) are pretty good looking games
Football may be too complicated or seem like that to the devs, so they wouldn't want to take a risk.
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Generally I find there's a lack of story-based games (I loved Soul Trapper and the JakeHunter games... I'm enjoying Imprisoned! also)... I thought that more japanese developers would starting porting visual novels to the iPhone... it seems like the ideal platform to me... I guess the demand isn't there.

The nintendo DS has so many adventure titles... I think a lot of them would work great on the iPhone/iPod Touch...
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
yes real soccer 2009 is a MAJOR exception because it is amazing and my favorite game on the iPhone (I have all the good and popular games)

I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE NEW IPHONE AHHHH I WANT IT SO BAD I'M PRETTY SURE I'M THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO STILL USES THE ORIGINAL IPHONE 2G.
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
danny i cant imagine you and karaoke.
LOL!!! im a bit good at jazz but i dont like to sing. but still it does not mean there shouldint' be a "american idol" like singing app.
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I would blame sports games on the lack of a viable control system. I can see American football being done with gestures to throw a specific route, and accelerometer to run your player down the field. You also have to consider the graphical capabilities. I would assume a hockey game would be set up similar to Real Soccer/Football.

As others have pointed out Baseball is in the works. There is also a basketball game out (haven't played it) but it is not in a 3D style so I would imagine it is quite limited.
03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Speaking of Hysteria Projcet...

Anyone know when it's coming out? It was submitted last week so I'm thinking it should be sometime between tomorrow and Friday, but just checkin' 'cause I'm ready for this game!
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanigon View Post
Generally I find there's a lack of story-based games (I loved Soul Trapper and the JakeHunter games... I'm enjoying Imprisoned! also)... I thought that more japanese developers would starting porting visual novels to the iPhone... it seems like the ideal platform to me... I guess the demand isn't there.

The nintendo DS has so many adventure titles... I think a lot of them would work great on the iPhone/iPod Touch...
I feel the same way as the OP and I agree with you as well. I def think some DS games would be great for the iphone/ipod touch.

I want more games like 1112, JakeHunter and so forth. I like puzzle games but NOT that much as I want to play them day and night. I would like to see more VARIETY in the app store Game section. The app store is not even a year old so I will hope these types of games will be made for the idevice.

Good thread