★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.34 - Monkey See Monkey Chew

09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Pocket God 1.34 - Monkey See Monkey Chew

Youtube link | Pop Up

Where is the update? Give us the Update! We want the update nowwww!

This is a shout out to all our fans who ask us this question over and over and over again. Your endurance and persistence is legendary, we would be no where without you! Be sure to view it over a wifi or hard wired connection. it looks really bad over 3g

So, this song is featured as one of the new dances in the upcoming Dance Pack Too in the new update. We originally had an idea to do a spoof of the iPhone 4 Antenna Song after Apple played it at their antenna-gate press conference. We were going to make a version with lyrics about our fans getting mad at us for updating too slow. Allan and I were talking about how we were going to recreate it and I came up with the idea of contacting Jonathan Mann, the writer of the original.

Turns out that Jonathan is a really cool guy and was interested in helping us out with it, although, he never heard of Pocket God before. lol. He turned around this version in the first take and we loved it. It’s not the exact same as the antenna song but this song is so catchy and cool that we had to use it. All the lyrics were inspired by actual fan comments. There is even a second verse to the song that we had to cut (because it was too long) that talked about me and Allan cloning ourselves if we could, but then it would turn into a cloning disaster.

Here is a link to his iPhone 4 Antenna Song
Jonathan Mann’s site

About the update, the episode title came from jrtc27. Thanks for helping us with it. My original suggestion for the title was "Spanking the Monkey" or "Paddling the Chimpanzee" but Allan thought that "Monkey See Monkey Chew" would probably be more kid safe. This confuses me because I don't remember us ever being totally kid safe.

As far as the time since the last update, we could have done better. It’s been about 6 weeks since the last update. We went to Chicago for Wizard World (which was awesome) and I had a week vacation visiting my family in Michigan so that really slowed us down. I think this will probably be our typical update schedule because we just have so much traveling that we do and other projects we need to manage.

About Wizard World Chicago, we had a lot of visitors. We sold out of the 125 comics that we brought with us in one day which is really quick. Allan and I did a panel while we were there and I want to thank people for showing up. I showed off the tempest mini game for Journey to Uranus and spoke about some of the things we learnt from doing Pocket God so other people can learn from our experience. We hoped to have the Pocket God plushies by that time but the Chinese manufacturer really screwed them up. We may post pics of them in the future but they so bad that I would be embarrassed to show anyone now. We are looking for a new plushie manufacturer right now.

Even though we don't have the plushies, we have PVC figures that should be coming out soon. We are trying to take our time with this so we don’t make a big mistake like with the plushies. Allan came up with a really awesome Box design and I just saw pics of all 500 last night and they are looking good. We had a small painting mistake that they are fixing this week and then they will ship them to us. Hopefully they will be on sale in about 3 weeks. They look like the figure prototypes that we were giving out at the conventions but these are smooth and made of high quality plastic.

About the comic, we had a really successful launch last month. It only took 2 hours for the comic app to reach #1 in books. We may be releasing numbers pretty soon but so far, sales is comparable with comics from the bigger publishers like Marvel and DC. Issue #2 of the comic was just submitted last Tuesday and we have some cool new features. The first one is that we are adding a free Pocket God magazine to the comic app. it's called "The Pygmy Peril" and we will try and do two issues of it for every issue of the comic. Once you buy the app, you get all issues of the Pygmy Peril for free and it will include a mail section, articles written by Allan and I, free comics, behind the scenes and sneak peak features. I am starting to write some articles about what you need to do to become a developer. The second feature is that we are offering subscriptions for the Pocket God comic. The first subscription will be $2.99 for the next 3 issues of the first series. So, you end up saving a dollar if you think you will end up buying the whole pack anyway.

Ape just finished writing the 5th issue which will be a Christmas special (with an evil twist) and this weekend I am coming up with story ideas so we can have a really cool deep story over the next 25 issues. My goal is to make this like a funny sadistic version of lost, where we have a bunch of mysteries that keep the story going over the next couple of years. We want the Pocket God story to be Epic

Finally onto the actual update. This episode is the second part of the Ape trilogy and introduces monkeys to the Pocket God universe. The monkeys are very similar to the ghosts where you can do a lot of things with them. When in monkey mode, the Altar is replaced by a banana tree and taking out a banana calls a monkey to harass the Pygmies. You can call 3 monkeys at a time. If the Pygmy tries to eat a banana, the closest monkey will run up to him and throw him off the ledge. If a monkey eats the banana, he will throw the banana peel on the island which the Pygmies will slip on whenever they walk past. The monkeys can also climb the tree and the torches and hang out in them for a while until they get bored and jump out. If a monkey jumps on a Pygmy or if you drag and drop a monkey on a Pygmy, the monkey will ride on his back and rip his face off. If you drop a Pygmy on top of a monkey, it will throw the Pygmy back and forth with the other monkeys. You can actually juggle more than 1 Pygmy in this way. My record is 4 Pygmies but I think you can get more if your timing is right. You can also Shock the Monkey (ala Peter Gabriel) and throw the monkey on the burning torch. The monkeys dance as well.

Dance Pack Too has 7 new dances. The Pocket God Update Song, Napoleon Dynamite, Fart Dance, Running Man, River Dance, Ballet, and Break Dancing. Thanks goes to anyone that gave us suggestions for new dances. These dance packs are probably our most popular skin pack and we would love to do more but it takes Allan a really long time to make them look cool. We started working with a second artist last week so hopefully it will enable us to do more dances. I would love to animate the second verse to the update song.

Between now and Christmas we would like to do 2 more updates. Considering our track record this could be pretty tight and we need to submit the second update in early December to get ahead of the rush of apps at that time of year. In order to make sure we don't slip, we are going to take a break from the Ape Trilogy and do a mini update next and then do the third part of the trilogy in December. The mini update will have something that I know people will really like, it's a little too early to spill the beans but it will be hilarious when it comes out. The third Ape episode will be a new mini game that we have been planning for a while. I think it will be just as fun as The Runs.

09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Great stuff as always! PG Forever!

Gamecenter:1337brian

09-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Awesome, I can't wait!

The new dance/song is hilarious!

Playing: Chopper 2, Pocket God, Minigore, Battle Bears-1, Doodle Jump, Tilt to Live, SuperMega Worm
Plus+: J3553 | Feint: J3553H | Crystal: J3553 | Gameloft Live: J3553

Last edited by 5jusername; 09-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.
09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
All the characters are now rolling in my mind as they once did, it's really a wonderful stuff!
09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
That is one adorable little monkey.

Sounds like a fun update. Great work, guys

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Send a message via AIM to Metalbear
First of all, my apologies Dave. I couldn't test really at all this weekend because of work. This is the first time hearing the Update Song, and IT IS THE STORY OF MY POCKET GOD FAN BOY LIFE. Teehee.

Secoundly, I can't wait to get myself a pocket god figure. It sounds like it will be great to have on my testing desk. And what's this about 25 ISSUES of the comic???? I love you.

Thanks for including my Running Man suggestion! I feel honoured to have had my hand in the game now in four different ways.

Please confirm this for me: The Update Song (actual audio) IS in the update, right? My mom loves it, because it sounds like the Beetles. I will buy it on iTunes when you fall to the pressure and put it up.

Great job guys!

The Metal Fist
Gnome King of the North
Bolt Creative, Rocketcat Games and MountainSheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWhoDoesStuff View Post
Metal bear is going to be a king boss of minigore?

Last edited by Metalbear; 09-19-2010 at 09:14 PM.
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Awesome

I'm so excited too for the update the second I first bought pocket god I was additided I have bought every dlc and I entered the comic shop thing Just one question have you submitted the update or no and if no how much longer and I understand about it taking a long time you 2 people ( though you should hire more) and one wrong mistake in a huge code and boom the game is dead (btw can you post the lyrics to I want the update now and include the second verse)
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbear View Post
First of all, my apologies Dave. I couldn't test really at all this weekend because of work. This is the first time hearing the Update Song, and IT IS THE STORY OF MY POCKET GOD FAN BOY LIFE. Teehee.

Secoundly, I can't wait to get myself a pocket god figure. It sounds like it will be great to have on my testing desk. And what's this about 25 ISSUES of the comic???? I love you.

Thanks for including my Running Man suggestion! I feel honoured to have had my hand in the game now in four different ways.

Please confirm this for me: The Update Song (actual audio) IS in the update, right? My mom loves it, because it sounds like the Beetles. I will buy it on iTunes when you fall to the pressure and put it up.

Great job guys!
The update has the first verse, the actual audio and the guitar animations as the dance
09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
dang, because, i got this game around update 28 or 29, so i never was able to get into pocket god at the top of it's hype with updates every week. it just seems like every other game to me because it updattes every so often. it's still a good game, just i'm dissapointed that i was never part of the game when it was at it's best
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
oh and i have to say nothing excites me more than these long soti's.