★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Virtual Pool made worse by new update?

10-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Virtual Pool made worse by new update?

I have posted on the MacRumors forum (where the developer reads feedback) on the new version of Virtual Pool, available from today.

Here is what I said...

"The new update is available as of now!

After my first play, I think the new shot action is better, and I do like how we see more of the cue so it is easier to drag for the shot. Definitely better.
However, the over head view can end up looking a mess with the bottom buttons-

It seems the table graphics are still showing at the bottom of the screen below the over head view of the table, and make it look messy. Plus, what is the Aim Line supposed to do? On mine it isn't doing anything that I notice other than take me back to the cue view if I'm in the over head view when I press it.
As before, it's the over head view that really spoils the polish you have given the rest of the game.

[EDIT] Found out why Aim Line wasn't doing anything- Firstly it was disabled in the settings. Then when I enabled it, I STILL had to start a new game for it to take effect.

Note to the developer. Some serious work needs to be done here, as this is looking even more messy than before. If Aim Line is disabled in the menu, WHY have we still got the Aim Line button visible in the game when it won't do anything (not only that, I don't want to see it there cluttering the screen when it's not needed/used)? When you enable it, why did I have to start a new game for it to take effect? Why does the Aim Line button take you out of the over head view when all you want to do is see the Aim Line IN the over head view? In Settings, why can we still press the yellow arrows to toggle room graphics etc, but not for Adversary View- you MUST drag that one to change it, which isn't smooth at all by the way. All this without even bringing up my previous points that you failed to spot because you don't play 8-ball yourself.
I'm sorry, there are some welcome changes in this update, but I am really seeing it as a step back rather than a step forward."

My comment regarding 8-ball was because the developer hasn't noticed that you have to press Call Shot twice after nominating a pocket in 8-ball, and also it should automatically aim at the 8-ball after pressing the Call Shot button.

Has anyone else downloaded the update? Opinions?

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-21-2008 at 09:06 AM.
10-21-2008, 08:08 AM
I was bummed that I found this update on my way to work, so I can't update till I get home (need wireless network for update). I was wondering how the new shot sensitivity is and if it is easier to grab the cue now. I love that they added your own ipod BG music as an option.

You may have some issues, but you have to appreciate a developer that listens to it's audience and also provides feedback to people who leave them comments. They seem like a class act company that will get to any problems that you've found in the update.

Now if I could just update mine.... grrrr

10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I was wondering how the new shot sensitivity is and if it is easier to grab the cue now.
Taking the shot is better than before. It is easier to grab the cue now as you see more of it, and the sensitivity is just right.
10-22-2008, 05:19 AM
The update has improved the sounds, and the audio sync between the balls hitting each other and the rails, is now spot on.
Also, I like how you can play your own music via the iPod app and still have the game sounds there as well(I didn't think that was possible).
As it is, this game is immense, long-term fun, but a polishing up of the GUI, and it'll be perfect.

Also, the opponent's mug shots could be better quality.

iPhone 6s Plus: (64GB 'Bro' Gold)
iPad Air: (64GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
MFi controller: SteelSeries Stratus.
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
10-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Agreed, Gregz0r. I really wish the menus were more up to date, instead of using the same graphics from when it was released many years ago. Plus fixing the other problems with the GUI too, would make it spot on.
I do like the new sounds though, and it is easier to grab the cue.
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Version 1.93 is out, and you can all thank wastedyuthe for pointing out a variety of bugs to the developer. I think he noted about 10 issues that got fixed, and gave some great suggestions for the next update.
I wish I didn't have to work as I am itching to try it out.

Can you cancel a shot again by removing your finger from the screen?

Now we just have to sit back and hope that online multiplayer is added soon!

PS - It's still on sale for $2.99.
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Version 1.93 is out, and you can all thank wastedyuthe for pointing out a variety of bugs to the developer. I think he noted about 10 issues that got fixed, and gave some great suggestions for the next update.
I wish I didn't have to work as I am itching to try it out.

Can you cancel a shot again by removing your finger from the screen?

Now we just have to sit back and hope that online multiplayer is added soon!

PS - It's still on sale for $2.99.
Haha! Thank you very much Nickels. I just want the app to be as good as it possibly can, and am trying to help the developer achieve that. I have posted a message to the developer on this new version, and here it is...

"WoW! What a difference a version number makes! To the developer, all I can say is well done, and thank you.

My previous points were-
1) When nominating a pocket, Call Shot has to be selected twice when it should only need to be tapped once.

- FIXED. This makes the 8-ball game SO much better to play now, and looks a lot more professional.

2) After pressing Call Shot, you are returned to the cue aim view, but it should then automatically aim at the 8 ball.

- FIXED. Again, like point 1, this makes the 8-ball game a lot better to play now.

3) Now in Over Head view the buttons look messy as some are still partially visible when they shouldn't be.

- FIXED. The over head view looks a lot more like a finished version rather than a beta.

4) Remove the Aim Line button from the game UI if the function is disabled in the settings.

- FIXED. It looks a lot better now the button is no longer there if disabled.

5) For some reason, enabling Aim Line doesn't take effect until you quit the current game and start a new one.

- FIXED. This will save a lot of confusion as before, I was wondering if the aim line actually worked at all when I enabled it.

6) When you click Aim Line while in Over Head view, it returns you to the cue aim view rather than just showing the aim line in the over head view.

- FIXED. This makes a lot more sense now you can turn the aid on or off while staying in the view.

7) Adversary view in the settings seems broken. The other settings yellow arrows can be tapped to toggle, where-as Adversary view can only be toggled by dragging.

-FIXED. A lot easier to select now.

8) I agree with others about taking your finger off the screen. It shouldn't be counted as a foul, but rather a cancellation of the shot.

-FIXED. Pheww! That was getting annoying. The game is a lot less frustrating now, as I did this a lot.

So, this is SO much better than the previous version- thank you. However, here are some points I would like to go over, as I don't think it is quite perfect yet.

1) Please do something about the horrible yellow square which nominates a pocket. It is very ugly. Why not an arrow pointing to the pocket or something?
2) Have you looked into faking the ball going into the pocket yet? If at all possible, it would make the game look better as well as being more satisfying to play. This is not essential of course- rather a request.
3) I personally think the Aim line button should be re-named to Aim Aid. In the menu settings, you name it as the aim aid, and can have either a line or a ghost ball as options (obviously the ghost ball still uses the line). But if you select Ghost ball in the settings and return to the game, it doesn't make sense having a button for Aim line (which is what you call the other setting). Having a button for Aim Aid will work for BOTH settings- see what I mean?
4) Now this is more of a bug report than a request, and I hadn't spotted it until I play tested this latest version. When in Over Head view, if you select the Menu button at the top, then resume, it does some strange things as you can see...

... The first shot kind of speaks for itself. In both shots, notice the Over Head button is STILL activated, and only when you click on it does the game return to normal.

Overall though, much better. Great!
I have just re-submitted my iTunes review- 5 out of 5 again, and mentioned that it is a lot better than Midnight Pool while I was at it."

He hasn't responded yet, but no doubt he will sooner or later.
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
1.94 came out last night. So far most of the annoyances seem gone and the controls are much better. The main addition is the ability to aim from overhead. You still have to shoot from the first person perspective.

Quote:
What's new

Easy Shoot Option: Select the power level and press 'Shoot'

Enhanced Ghost Ball: See where the cue ball will strike.

Overhead Aim: Adjust you aim in overhead view complete with aim line and Ghost Ball.

Improved Touchscreen response: Slow speed strokes are easier than before.
PS - App is still on sale for $2.99

wastedyuthe, I've seen lots of reviews saying Midnight Pool is better. You still disagree with that?
11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm curious as to which pool game is the best.
This one intrigues me, especially due to the career mode. Does the career mode have longevity?
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Quote:
The main addition is the ability to aim from overhead. You still have to shoot from the first person perspective.
Yes! The top view aiming is a nice addition!

Maybe it's time to improve menu system and remove the old legacy (e.g. career mode has a small listview with tiny scrollbars).