★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dink Smallwood HD

09-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Dink Smallwood HD

09-21-2010, 05:23 AM
The thread in the iPad games forum:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67552

09-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Gore, fun, RPG? INSTABUY?
OK, I just need to put some money on my rechargeable card, right now I have something like 1€. Probably tonight I'll try it.
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Awesome!! I loved this game on PC and was bummed it wasn't available for Mac.

Great news everyone!
09-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
The thread in the iPad games forum:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67552
Just read through the comments and they are quite positive! Seems like a steal at this price frankly judging on people's reaction. One thing - it says iPhone 4, iPad support but what about 2g devices? Someone mentioned it ran ok on their 2g and hoping that will be the case.
09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
is this universal ?

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Game Impressions

Ok, I've had a quick play, initial impressions- really likin this one! First thing to say, this has a really old school vibe that really appeals to me. The unexpected level of gore really evokes fallout and that is awesome! E.g I embarked on what I thought was an early quest to find a pet duck for some old woman, upon stumbling on said duck, I thought I was going to pick him up, but instead accidentally punched his head off!! Leaving him running around headless was obviously the wrong thing to do, so in a fit if panic I stomped his body into a bloody pulp. These actions were immediately reflected in a conversation I has with one of the locals, which just made it even better the conversations are funny and have a nice level of sarcasm which is always appreciated. The default controls are nice and smooth and I get the feeling that there are lots of nice little touches dotted around the world for those who like to explore (try punching a tree). All in all, having only played a short time, this gives a really great first impression.
Many thanks to the dev for the promo code.

Game Centre I.D - Scarypharaoh

Last edited by scarypharaoh; 09-21-2010 at 07:56 AM.
09-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I took the plunge knowing that an iPod Touch 4g was imminent and if it didn't work on my 2g I just had to wait a tad. So to my surprise it works amazingly well on the 2g.

To answer @soup - yes it is universal.

I have only played through a little bit. I have gone through the village and gone to the save point. My big mistake was not thinking the yellow and white highlights had the opposite purpose. So when I thought I was saving I was actually not. When I ventured out to the woods and died imagine my surprise there was no saved game! Luckily I was only a little bit into the game so I didn't lose much. (this was entirely my own fault - not a criticism of the game but of my own state of mind)

The D pad is a little on the loose side and I find myself going diagonally a lot instead of straight. I want to try the other control scheme but I cant find a menu button from within the game to get to the options menu. (Edit: found it! Another brain freeze as it is opaquely clear as day in the upper left corner!) It is a little freaky to be walking around in between screens only to see only your feet moving as your feet are on your current screen and your body is well above it out of site. It makes it a little disorienting and couple that with the loose D pad I find myself switching screens a lot. I can also tap the edges of the screen and semi walk to that spot - wondering if the other control scheme is somehow activated as well?

One thing I would really like is for the NPC's to stop walking around when you are talking to them. It is a little annoying to be in the middle of a conversation that has several choices only to have to track them down again to ask the next in the series of questions. Rude NPC's, just plain rude! Stop your fidgeting and talk to the hero when he speaks to you!

Overall though it is quite a nice retro RPG. I haven't played enough to render more opinions other than it is really starting off quite well (even if I got killed by the royal guard in the forest first punch). And I killed the duck by accident thinking stupidly if I used the hand it would pick it up. It's equipped as a weapon - should have known better! Poor duck. Poor Ethel.

My concerns are minor, the content and value great! If you like the retro feel of an RPG this is a must have. Nice nice addition and welcome change of pace from the deluge of Korean ports of late.

(one other even more minor point - the icon is a bit - I dunno - boring? Just the words? How about Dink's profile? Or something else besides the title?)

Last edited by New England Gamer; 09-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
09-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I am hovering over that button. The name rings a bell but I don't think I've ever actually seen it. It looks like a well-done retro isometric RPG, but there are a few details that look a little out of place that tweak my "not-as-polished-as-it-looks-o-meter" so I wouldn't mind seeing a video of it in action.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
09-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
I am hovering over that button. The name rings a bell but I don't think I've ever actually seen it. It looks like a well-done retro isometric RPG, but there are a few details that look a little out of place that tweak my "not-as-polished-as-it-looks-o-meter" so I wouldn't mind seeing a video of it in action.
There is a video in the iPad section. Click the link Squeaker posted and you should find it. Plays quite well.