★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: On Christmas Eve, your reindeer fall ill without warning. Faced with the prospect of a Christmas without presents, and with hope all but lost, you turn to operation Santa Soars.

Take to the skies with the very latest in Elf technology... A mince pie powered rocket pack.

Features:

- Distinctive Isometric Pixel Art by Clinton McMaster
- Classic arcade gameplay
- Randomly generated scenery and obstacles
- iPod support: Get into the Christmas spirit by playing to any of you own Christmas songs
- Retro sound effects

... and more features planned, through updates, to extend the life of this game beyond Christmas!

Bytesizeadventures's comments:
Hello everyone,

Whilst walking around London yesterday, in what was quite likely one of the last remaining days of warm weather we will see in the UK for some time, I thought to myself "I know what people would like, they'd like to play my *cough*smash hit*cough* from last Christmas - Rocket Santa". You know, to get you in the mood for Christmas which is just around the corner (okay, a long way around the corner).

Anyway, here it is, FREE for 1 week. Play a Christmas game in Summer time (ignore the odd looks you may receive). Really, what have you got to lose?

09-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I like Christmas. I like Santa. I like jet packs. I like pixel art. I like turtles. I like free. I love the NASA-esque icon.

So having played it I can say it's an entertaining and simplistic little game -- a very common theme, but rendered exceptionally with the isometric pixel art. It gets the mood and feel just right. It also has a good sense of humour about it.

If I had to pick some nits -- and let's be honest, I spent some time making a careeer out of that -- it's that Santa moves a bit jerky, the collision detection appears to be a box rather than per-pixel, there's no pause, and no iOS 4 multitasking support, nor does it save state if you get interrupted, all of which is kind of a pity as, despite the simplistic premise, this is a wonderfully crafted little game with a great nostalgic feel and perfect pixel art.

In spite of that though, free? Absolutely! I'd even recommend it for a buck, though with the hopes that someday at least the most serious of issues might be dealt with.

Also, I like mince pies.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
@Mindfield

Thanks for the feedback and for the list of things you like, most entertaining :-) I know the designer will be pleased you picked up on the NASA inspired icon.

The improvements you've mentioned all make sense and, along with a handful of my own niggles, could be easily solved with an update. The issue I have is that with its current installed user base, abysmal Christmas 2009 launch sales, and generally less than stellar reception, its difficult to commit the time required to improve it (I'm working on a new game at the moment).

I suppose if enough people voiced their enjoyment of the game during its free week that would certainly encourage me to release an update in time for Christmas.

I also like mince pies... and port.
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesizeadventures View Post
The improvements you've mentioned all make sense and, along with a handful of my own niggles, could be easily solved with an update. The issue I have is that with its current installed user base, abysmal Christmas 2009 launch sales, and generally less than stellar reception, its difficult to commit the time required to improve it (I'm working on a new game at the moment).

I suppose if enough people voiced their enjoyment of the game during its free week that would certainly encourage me to release an update in time for Christmas.
That's understandable; it's hard to justify work on something that may or may not have any returns. But frankly this is the first I've heard of the game so maybe it's simply a case of visibility. Perhaps this thread might give it a little boost. Well, that, and the freebie. I can always hope it'll get some love anyway; I think if nothing else it's a great example of well-done pixel art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesizeadventures View Post
I also like mince pies... and port.
You can have the port. I'll take the pie.

09-21-2010, 11:01 AM
*Throws Mindfield another pie*

I downloaded after seeing Screen 1.

Invaders Must Die.
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys,

Glad people are at least giving it a try (and I'm enjoying the encouraging feedback).

Also, glad mince pies are getting some love :-)
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
It's probably a little early for Christmas games yet but I do hope a few others will at least give it a go. Despite its issues it's a great bit of eye candy for retro aficionados. The screenshots don't really do justice to the dynamic and animated visuals you fly over.

09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Never heard of this before seeing the thread. Downloading it now to try it - absolutely love the graphics in the screenshots. Positive comments from Mindfield help, too. Hope this gives you some success that was not seen on first release. And thanks.
09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks @RagManX

I hope you like it. Let me know your thoughts.

It's difficult developing even a Free game when there are so many games vying for attention - the bar seems to be constantly being raised.

Anyway, I'd like to add some more features so hopefully you guys will share any positive feedback.

Enjoy the game :-)