★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Asphault 4 update

10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Asphault 4 update

So, I was pretty excited to see the update pop up on my 3G yesterday. I promptly downloaded, restarted the phone, and fired it up. They fixed the god-awful tire squealing! But... the steering! It was glitchy and too sensitive before, but now it almost the opposite- sluggish and unresponsive. It's almost completely unplayable. I've been frustrated with this $9.99 purchase from the get-go. I've tried to give it a chance, but the controls are just plain broken, and sadly this update didn't help the situation. Has anyone else had issues? Apparently the 2.1 iPhone update caused a lot of problems with the game.
10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Hmmm. I know what you mean. I was trying to turn it so much it actually thought I wanted to play in portrait mode and changed the view, so I was driving with everything on it's side for a few seconds! I don't know. Perhaps we just need to get used to the new control.
I know the upgrading has changed- we are now asked if we want to pay for upgrades. The loading bar has changed to a red line. And of course as you said, the sound effects have been fixed (finally!!).
I'm going to play it a few more times- maybe I will get used to it.

10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I know the upgrading has changed- we are now asked if we want to pay for upgrades.

Oh wait, you mean upgrades of car-parts within the game — not whether we want to pay to upgrade the game itself, right?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 10-21-2008 at 10:29 AM.
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Haha! Sorry, should have made myself clear there.
10-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I can confirm that the controls have changed. Before the update Asphalt was playable for me, but the controls were too sensitive. I had to concentrate very much . Now the controls are less sensitive, which results in tilting the iPhone around heavily while steering. This makes the game totally unplayable. Gameloft has broken it.

It can't be so complicated to let US set the level of sensitivity. Other games manage this perfectly.

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-21-2008, 12:02 PM
That really makes me sad. I loved Ashalt before.. I installed the update but haven't had time to play it. WHY would they ruin it?!
10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Got to be honest, my suspicions were correct- after a few plays I have gotten used to the steering again and find it ok. It's still not the best control ever (and I would still like a sensitivity option), but it is ok. Not better, not worse. That's my opinion anyway.
10-22-2008, 05:53 AM
NAMCO's Pole Position: Remix is a simple arcade racer, but IMO, it has the best control options for any iPhone racer, particularly the finger slide steering option (not to be confused with the steering wheel option).
A lot of racers could benefit from this control method, instead of the tilt controls, which just hack me off(ignore the steering wheel option too).
Asphalt 4 is a good game, with a lot of depth, but the graphics still scream "cell phone", rather than "console" to me. I'm eagerly awaiting videos of Need For Speed Undercover, which looks like it could be a proper, bona-fide console game.

iPhone 6s Plus: (64GB 'Bro' Gold)
iPad Air: (64GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
MFi controller: SteelSeries Stratus.
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)

Last edited by Gregz0r; 10-22-2008 at 12:52 PM.
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Asphalt has a steering wheel option too.
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Need for Speed might change things soon, but for right now Asphalt seems untouchable as far as racing games go. I've been very happy with it.

The new controls are tough to get used to, but I actually think they're a bit more fun. The game got kind of easy pretty fast. The new controls seem make steering a little more frantic feeling. They're not more difficult or annoying, but it adds a little more difficulty i think having to turn the phone so far on it's side.